Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    The comments comparing store bought black powder to home made black powder are similar to the arguments comparing reloaded ammo to store bought ammo, and that for self defense you should be carrying only store bought. I never subscribed to that theory.

Boolit Master
    Well, that is rather a different thing. Once you shoot someone in self defense, under the American justice system, YOU become the criminal, and as always, you are GUILTY until proven innocent.

And the sleazy lawyer(s) are going to try to use your home made killer ammo against you.

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Well, that is rather a different thing. Once you shoot someone in self defense, under the American justice system, YOU become the criminal, and as always, you are GUILTY until proven innocent.

And the sleazy lawyer(s) are going to try to use your home made killer ammo against you.

Vettepilot
    My point is that reloaded ammo is every bit as functional and dependable as store bought. Just as home made black powder, if done right, is just as good as store bought.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    My point is that reloaded ammo is every bit as functional and dependable as store bought. Just as home made black powder, if done right, is just as good as store bought.
    I completely agree. But it is a sensitive subject with me regarding the sad state of our justice system, and I have never even been in trouble!! Still, I live in fear of someday, somehow, being WRONGFULLY accused of something, and losing every thing I own and being in debt for the rest of my life, defending my innocence. That's just not right.... but we all live with the fact.

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 08-12-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    I completely agree. But it is a sensitive subject with me regarding the sad state of our justice system, and I have never even been in trouble!! Still, I live in fear of someday, somehow, being WRONGFULLY accused of something, and losing every thing I own and being in debt for the rest of my life, defending my innocence. That's just not right.... but we all live with the fact.

Vettepilot
    I understand and agree, but at the risk of steering this thread completely away from the original subject, I will say no more.

Boolit Master
    Man, every time I think I just about have my schedule cleared up so that I can embark on making some BP, something around here breaks down and I have to repair it, or some other thing comes up that requires my time and attention!

AAARRGGG......

:>(

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    @ Vettepilot
    I know exactly what you mean.
    I retired in February, and planned to have the shop up and running in a month.
    I am now building the cabinets for the first shop, and haven't been able to get time to remove the tree I need to set up the second shop in the back yard.
    But I am not going anywhere, so things will play out in good time, and I will have the rest of my life to enjoy what I am building.

Boolit Master
    That is my intent on having Two Shops.
    One for Powder making and Casting, the other for building my Guns.
    I already have a room set up in the house to do reloading of my other calibers. ( Inside where it is Air Conditioned )
    But if I don't need to Stop work on making Powder, to set up for working on my rifles, I feel I can work on larger batches of powder, and make them more consistent.

Boolit Master
    Lags let me tell you something from experience. I retired over 10 years ago. I built my dream shop so to speak. You will never get threw
    finishing it (wink).
    Fly

USMC 77, USRA 79

that is what I do Lags... I have a indoor in the house workshop... gun stuff and reloading, even casting gets done there.. and in my outdoor shop, I cast ingots, make BP, do my tumbling and so on... seems to workout for me....

marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    @ Fly
    I agree.
    I have gone thru Ten cabinet Re designs in the past week for the one shop alone.
    I started off modeling it after what I had for the past twenty years, and said, That could be done better.
    I thought two shops would cure that, but it only made it worse.
    Lucky, I am doing all my own building.
    A contractor would have walked out , or shot me because of all the changes.
    But I have nothing but time, and more money than Betty Crocker.
    So as long as the wife doesn't see a flaw in my working on my Hobbies, I am happy.
    I call her "Swambo '
    "She Who Always Must Be Obayed"

Boolit Master
    My problem with multiple shops, which just drives me NUTS, is that something I need is ALWAYS "in the other workshop". ;~(

I've come to the conclusion that the best setup (will be) a good sized garage style workshop with dedicated "work rooms" within.

Right now, I am in Lake Havasu City, Arizona caring for my sister who has terminal cancer. It's hotter than the surface of the sun and you can only work outside for about 2 1/2 months of the year!!

Vettepilot

Vettepilot- no, no, no....you can NOT work outside 2 mo. of the year. Reat of the time you can if you get aclamatized and drink warer. Today, 8/14 is tp be 113-115 in Phoenix.

Boolit Master
    It is hot her today in Mesa.
    And I am out on the back patio building the shop cabinets because the garage is packed with all the boxes of my shop stuff brought over from the old house.
    Once the cabinets are up, I will start putting the stuff away.
    Then I will have room to build the cabinets for the second shop inside.
    But I wish I was making batches of powder right now.
    The drying time on the pucks in this heat is very fast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pwc View Post
    Vettepilot- no, no, no....you can NOT work outside 2 mo. of the year. Reat of the time you can if you get aclamatized and drink warer. Today, 8/14 is tp be 113-115 in Phoenix.
    Been in Arizona since 1966, and I am still not the least bit used to, nor acclimatized to the heat. As a matter of fact, it bothers me more every year now as I get to be an old fart.

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Because I am such a "Pack Rat" , I have acquired so many tools that I have enough to supply two shops with all the tools I need.
    And each shop will be dedicated to a certain function, so Most of the tools needed to do that task, will be left in that shop.
    But we will see how it works out as I get older and my mind fails even further.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Big problem with two workshops !!! walk over to the other one to get something you need - open door - walk in - stand there rubbing chin - now what the heck was it I came over here for? - tick - tick - tick .................. walk halfway back to other shop -----pause -- ah ha I remember ........or do i ?????
    Oh my god!! So funny and SO TRUE Indian Joe!! Been there done that many times!

One time I was doing something, and I knew I was going to need a certain drill bit in an upcoming step. So I got that bit out and proceeded with the work. When the time came to use the drill bit, I couldn't find it! I looked and looked for probably 15 minutes for that dam bit, getting madder by the minute. I finally found it..... between my lips. Boy was I embarrassed at myself, but it was actually funny.

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Lord I,m glade my wife did not here that. She would start in on the stupid things I do when misplacing tools. Bad thing about it, is
    it get worst the older you get. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fly

Boolit Master
    I was born with an almost Photographic Memory.
    As I get older, I keep running out of film.

Boolit Master

GEEEEEZ you guys are old,,,,,Welcome to the clan. Big problem is I do this stuff and I'm still working for a living, sure cuts down on the productivity.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Page 141 of 410 FirstFirst ... 4191131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151191241 ... LastLast