MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    I was going to try one of my wife's stainless steel Ricers that she uses for cooking to try and press or screen powder .
    She puts boiled potatoes in the ricer either mashed up or cut up in chunks.
    Then you squeeze the handle and the plunger pushes the potatoes down thru a screen or bottom plate with holes in it.
    The stuff comes out like Rice or in extruded chunks.
    Looks easier than trying to press damp powder thru a kitchen strainer.

Boolit Buddy
    I am looking for an old time mop bucket with a wringer on it. It would be smaller than a clothes wringer and you can adjust the opening with the handle. just have to figure a way to turn the rollers.
    I am the one your mom warned you about!

Boolit Master
    My powder screening procedure is very similar to yours right now.
    But I am going to try pressing the Dough Balls thru the ricer and see if that does make any kind of difference in the density.
    When it comes to kitchen appliances or Gadgets, My wife has them all.
    And letting me have them, gives her an excuse to go out and buy her a new one or Better one. ( Plus More gadgets )
    Hay, it is worth a shot, so I will give it a go.
    If it works, You can probably pick up a used one at a yard sale for next to nothing.
    I see a lot of women who have them, and never use them.
    My screened an Pressed powder is coming out along the same lines as yours Joe.
    But I want to Up the density on the screened stuff if I can.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm.... just curious Indian Joe. Why "not for publication" on your final drying process?

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    So just to make sure I have my head wrapped around the measurements, and to clarify for myself and others...

By coincidence, a 100 grain volumetric measure of commercial black powder weighs quite close to 100 grains.

So, if we WEIGH our homemade BP charges instead of using volumetric measuring, we will come out at approximately the same energy as a volumetric measured charge of commercial BP.

Do I have that correct?

Vettepilot

Add: And just a safety note: NEVER load by weight when using black powder substitutes. They are more powerful than BP and are designed to be loaded ONLY by volumetric measure.
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 05-02-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Hmmm.... just curious Indian Joe. Why "not for publication" on your final drying process?

Vettepilot
    Usually because it's a nonstandard MO that risk-averse internet weenies will wax philosophic about negatively, typically with hateful personal attacks that don;t further the fun discussion of the thread topic at hand.

But maybe that's just my jaded experience with discussions on california-based message boards and getting told I'll put my eye out every time I want to use a screw driver to change an outlet cover.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Usually because it's a nonstandard MO that risk-averse internet weenies will wax philosophic about negatively, typically with hateful personal attacks that don;t further the fun discussion of the thread topic at hand.

But maybe that's just my jaded experience with discussions on california-based message boards and getting told I'll put my eye out every time I want to use a screw driver to change an outlet cover.

Ha! I thought as much.

Well put and quite eloquent in your response. I too am so sick of the unreasonable obsession with safety so prevalent now days.

I once took a gal that has a doctorate in psychology on vacation to Mexico. (Where your personal safety is your own choices and decisions!) After a bit she said, "You know, it is actually quite refreshing to feel responsible for myself for a change while here in Mexico."

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    I say.
    Work up your load, a Teensy bit at a time till it is what you want to use.
    THEN Check it with a Volumetric measure, then put it on a scale and see what it weighs.
    If the powder is consistent, the volumetric measure should come out close to the same weight every time.
    But not the same Weight as the Volumetric measure says.
    But that is the load you are going to use by weight.
    Am I wrong in my thinking ?

Boolit Master
    You guys are making my head hurt!!!!!!!

Fly

Boolit Master

Ha! I thought as much.

Well put and quite eloquent in your response. I too am so sick of the unreasonable obsession with safety so prevalent now days.

I once took a gal that has a doctorate in psychology on vacation to Mexico. (Where your personal safety is your own choices and decisions!) After a bit she said, "You know, it is actually quite refreshing to feel responsible for myself for a change while here in Mexico."

Vettepilot
    My guess is your drying method uses an open flame. None of my business, and I don't need confirmation or refutation. If whatever you're doing works for you, you'll still out-shoot me at a rendezvous.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    My powder screening procedure is very similar to yours right now.
    But I am going to try pressing the Dough Balls thru the ricer and see if that does make any kind of difference in the density.
    When it comes to kitchen appliances or Gadgets, My wife has them all.
    And letting me have them, gives her an excuse to go out and buy her a new one or Better one. ( Plus More gadgets )
    Hay, it is worth a shot, so I will give it a go.
    If it works, You can probably pick up a used one at a yard sale for next to nothing.
    I see a lot of women who have them, and never use them.
    My screened an Pressed powder is coming out along the same lines as yours Joe.
    But I want to Up the density on the screened stuff if I can.
    I'm content with the screened powder for the front loaders - its easy to make - plenty room in there to compensate for the bit lesser density - I try to pay attention to load pressure with the ramrod - and filling measures takes more care. Dont really think we can do much about the density of screened stuff. Pressed pucks for cartridge loading.
    I squashed 36 grains (weight) of screened powder into some 44/40 loads (yeah had to lean on it pretty good) and chronograph gave me so close to identical velocity as 36 grains of corned (puck) powder - nothing in it at all - both from the same batch of meal. --- thought the result would be different but not so.

Boolit Master

Vettepilot
    My missus would kill me !! and she would do it slow.................

Boolit Master
    So just to make sure I have my head wrapped around the measurements, and to clarify for myself and others...

By coincidence, a 100 grain volumetric measure of commercial black powder weighs quite close to 100 grains.

So, if we WEIGH our homemade BP charges instead of using volumetric measuring, we will come out at approximately the same energy as a volumetric measured charge of commercial BP.

Do I have that correct?
    Thats how it worked at my place ...........I did a bit of testing .............

Vettepilot

Add: And just a safety note: NEVER load by weight when using black powder substitutes. They are more powerful than BP and are designed to be loaded ONLY by volumetric measure.
    never shot a load of subs - bought a can of pyrodex when it first showed up - kept it for several years - realised the error of me ways - put it on my trade blanket at a shoot and a bloke I didnt like real much grabbed it thinkin he got a bargain - win win outcome!!

Boolit Master
    My guess is your drying method uses an open flame. None of my business, and I don't need confirmation or refutation. If whatever you're doing works for you, you'll still out-shoot me at a rendezvous.
    just in case you think i am some kind of daredevil - NO ~!!! really quite careful.
    so I stoke the slow combustion stove in the lounge room early in the day then go screen the stuff - get that room up to about 85 degrees and by then the air is dried right out in there - early afternoon sun streaming in through the 10 x 5 window (we only single glazed) - the stove is gone out and closed up but still hot and I leave the fan runing - we got wool carpet so no static - no lights or TV on so no possibility of sparks from a short or a blown light bulb - spread the powder on sheets of A3 paper on the carpet in the sun - 8 feet from the hearth with the warm fan blowin - takes about an hour - maybe a bit longer - I am careful to the point I will not wear any kind of synthetic clothing while I am handling quantities of dry powder - fully aware that if I mess this up I am dead and my house is a pile of ashes - no second chances! All needs done and cleaned up by 4.30 because she proly would kill me or something as bad.

Boolit Master
    She'd skin ya alive and then light a far under ya with yur own powder fer sure...

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Lucky for me, I have both My houses in My name only.
    So that allows me to Make the rules, and do what I want in the house.
    But I still tell her what I am going to do.
    Doesn't make it perfect, but makes it a little better.

Boolit Master
    Right now, I don't have a "she". And I really don't know if that is good or bad....

A little of both I suppose.

Vettepilot

Moderator Emeritus

Right now, I don't have a "she". And I really don't know if that is good or bad....

A little of both I suppose.

Vettepilot
    That's ok we don't judge here

Kinda in the same boat as I tell the girlfriend I am gonna do this and she just gives me a look. Live with my puppy so he gets the vote

Boolit Master

Ha! I thought as much.

Vettepilot
    the ninnies strike again!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post22964608

don't shoot reloads! you'll put your eye out, kid!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Hello. My name is MarkoPolo, and I corn Black Powder.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.