Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    I only right now am making 1 to 2 lbs. at any one time. ( that may soon Change )
    I just use a pair of side cutter diagonal wire cutters to break up the pucks.
    And the advantage is.
    On the first nip, I can tell if the puck is Softer than the others.
    I set that one aside, and grind it separate.
    That seems to make my general supply of powder a little more consistent on the hotter side.
    But that also depends on how many softer pucks you ended up in your pressing.
    Too me, one or two in a pound does make a difference.
    They either gum up the grinder, or make you grind the harder powder too long and end up with too fine of powder from what you want.

Boolit Master

Hi all. I've been reading your thread with interest, but certainly not ready to take the plunge. I did notice a lot of activity about grinders and converting old clothes washing wringers. My question to you is...would a simple grain roller mill like we use in homebrewing not work? If you get the kind where the rollers are adjustable, you can set the crush to almost any size you want (the one below goes from 0.025 to 0.10.) If you shop around, you can get one for under $100, and a used one even cheaper. Here's an example on Amazon. Ed

Attachment 240286

I haven't heard of anybody using one most are using coffee grinders. Maybe you can try it and let us know

Boolit Master
    I will look into one of those grain grinders.
    But $100 bucks is kind if counter productive , unless you are already set up to do minimum of 10 lbs at a time.
    And unless we know it is going to work, we would not pay the used price.
    But thank you.
    Some may make the investment.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I think that grain mill is a great idea!!! Prolly wanna wipe all that plastic down with a dryer sheet and get rid of the static cling...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Someone buy one & let us know. It does sound promising.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    I would feel safe with wood or stainless rollers. If I could find one cheap enough, (read free or close to it) I think it could be modified for a wider puck friendly gap between the rollers. Then of course it needs a chute from the rollers to the bench mounted grinder so no more pouring from one tool to another.
    I am the one your mom warned you about!

Boolit Master
    The second hand shops can be fun! I keep finding fun, and very cheap toys for my hobbies of reloading, casting, etc.

Last week I scored a very nice toaster oven for my powder coating boolits for 8 bucks, and a big bag of Alder wood chips to make charcoal out of for a buck!

Today, I got a quite old, Heavy Duty motorized Sunbeam meat grinder for two bucks!! I couldn't believe the price and my luck in finding it! It is in flawless, like new, perfect shape. It doesn't have the drive motor, but the shaft will chuck into a drill easily. It will make one excellent charcoal grinder!

(Book shown for size reference.)

Vettepilot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MEAT-CHARCOAL-GRINDER.jpg  
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 04-26-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Has anyone tried a food processor. I know that electric and bp are not a good mix the one we had sealed up pretty good. Just wondering if any one tried it for the initial breakup of the puck. Might produce to many fines
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    I have a Hand Meat Grinder that I use in making Charcoal.
    But with Metal blades and a Metal Case, I would not use it to Grind Pucks.
    There is always that chance of some kind of spark, especially if some foreign particle like sand accidentally got into your BP Mix.
    It just takes one particle for you to find out what the other side of the moon looks like.

A meat processor is all plastic with just a stainless blade kinda like a blender but a little different
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    I have watch or used almost all of my wife's kitchen Gadgets, ( and She has Tons of different ones ) and I see very few that I feel would work well or consistent to grind up pucks.
    Most will just turn the Pucks to dust in a hurry, unless you halfway brake the pucks into 1/2" size chunks before you put them into either a Hand Meat Grinder or some kind of electric processor.
    You are still doing half the work that you started out to do with the tool.
    And Pucks are more like a cookie rather than a Walnut or Peanut.
    They will crumble and turn to dust because the processor keeps cutting the material till all the chunks you want cut up are gone.
    The only one of her gadgets that looks like it might work is what she uses to Grate Cheese.
    That one only cuts the material once, and the cut material falls away.
    But to me, the blades look too fine and I feel it too will turn the pucks to dust instead of consistent chunks for grinding to the powder size you want with the coffee grinder.

Boolit Master
    I am with you Indian Joe about Repetitive Screening to reduce the fines by over working the crushed powder.
    The time you spend Re Screening the powder, is far less time than you will have to spend, Re Pressing, then Re grinding the excessive "powder" or Dust you end up with.

Boolit Master
    That sounds like more work than beating them up in a SS bowl. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm (WINK)

Fly

Boolit Master
    The Wright Brothers weren't happy just riding Bicycles, so now we can Fly
    There has to be a better way to build a Mouse trap too.
    I am still thinking bout how to build my roller Puck Crusher, but just haven't had the time to work in it.
    Last edited by LAGS; 05-01-2019 at 01:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    I don't begin to have time either at the moment, but I don't think it would be too tough. A couple of rolling pins robbed from the wife, studded with brass screws offset to interlace, and with pulleys added on the end, hooked together with either a "V" belt or a cogged timing belt. Use an automotive idler pulley to tension the belt. (Quite strong--> good tension.) With the idler/tensioner, the mounting at the ends of the rolling pins could be adjustable, thus allowing to adjust the roller spacing for varying puck sizes and/or to adjust for optimal output. This would be much better and easier than gears. I wish I had time to fool with it... I imagine one could have a proof of concept prototype done up in an afternoon if you rounded up the bits beforehand. Could be hand crank to start; quite easily motorized later...

The rolling pins could be easily bored to accept a # 202 bearing, which would then accept a solid steel axle shaft. Dam, my mind is a turnin' and I feel like running out to the shop, but I just can't right now. Too many other things going on... :>(

Well, there's my best beginning ideas. Somebody have at it!

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 04-30-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm... correction. The rollers would turn correctly with gears, but not direct drive with a belt. A cogged timing belt wouldn't work without a "transmission" of sorts. (A reverse idler setup.) A "V" belt would work if it were "figure 8'd".

Also, after screwing the brass screws into the wood, I would cut the heads off of them. (Make like brass pegs for better chopping/cutting action.)

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 04-30-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you like building machines, then start working on a Time Machine.
    Then we could enjoy the Original Rifles when they were brand new, and real BP was more available.

Boolit Master
    Lags if I did not like you so much I would not poke fun at you buddy. I too love making things as I,m making a battery charger now to refurbish
    ole battery's.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Some one take a small block of wood & drive some long nail threw it & put it in your press & press them threw the pucks. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fly

Page 129 of 410 FirstFirst ... 2979119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139179229 ... LastLast