Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    If your leach field is there I sure would not plant any willows or any other trees even close unless in the future you want to have to replace all your leach field.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    If your leach field is there I sure would not plant any willows or any other trees even close unless in the future you want to have to replace all your leach field.
    No. I would plant the willow down the hill from the leech field.

Boolit Master
    Both my houses are on a Sewer System.
    So No Leech Fields.
    But that seems to be the norm here in Arizona, I cant remember the last time I worked on a house in this part of Arizona that had any kind of septic System.

Boolit Master
    Everybody keeps making reference to using branches that are about 1" in Diameter.
    Does nobody use the dried Trunk or large branch wood for their Charcoal ?
    The Alder I uses was kiln Dried wood scraps that I got from a friend that had a Cabinet Shop.
    It is a Cheap Hardwood that they used for bracing and backing in the cabinets, as well as some Poplar.
    Hay, it was Free, so why not try it.
    Haven't tried making Charcoal out of any of the Poplar yet.
    Any thoughts on using that for Charcoal ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Everybody keeps making reference to using branches that are about 1" in Diameter.
    Does nobody use the dried Trunk or large branch wood for their Charcoal ?
    The Alder I uses was kiln Dried wood scraps that I got from a friend that had a Cabinet Shop.
    It is a Cheap Hardwood that they used for bracing and backing in the cabinets, as well as some Poplar.
    Hay, it was Free, so why not try it.
    Haven't tried making Charcoal out of any of the Poplar yet.
    Any thoughts on using that for Charcoal ?
    I've just finished cooking up some poplar into charcoal from the shop but haven't had a chance to test yet. Seemed like it took forever for it to stop smoking, but it did. Heard it was "ok" but willow, mimosa and royal empress was better.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Mold
    If Mimosa doesn't work, I may plant some Willows. ...I just hope the Mimosa works.

Boolit Mold
    (Warning: Pointless rant ahead)

For anyone considering Harbor Freight for a press, be careful. I wanted the small 6 ton press, primarily because I didn't want another large piece of machinery in my shop, that'd rarely use. The local Harbor Freight didn't have one in stock. So, in early February I ordered it online. They shipped it through FedEx.

Well, after 2 weeks, FedEx admitted to losing it. So Harbor Freight sent another one out. Well I finally got the second one last Friday.

First, there were no instructions in the box, not even a parts list. Luckily I found a copy online. It turns out I'm missing 2 pieces. So, now Harbor Freight is sending me out those two pieces. This order has been the absolute worst experience I've had with any online order in my life.

Home Depot sells the exact same 6 ton press, just with a better powder coating, for $40 more. So a $100 instead of $60ish that Harbor Freight sells it. I'm sure it's the same Chinese junk, but my experience with Home Depot in the past has been somewhat better.

Just an FYI for those considering buying a press for corning.

(rant over)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markham View Post
    (Warning: Pointless rant ahead)

For anyone considering Harbor Freight for a press, be careful. I wanted the small 6 ton press, primarily because I didn't want another large piece of machinery in my shop, that'd rarely use. The local Harbor Freight didn't have one in stock. So, in early February I ordered it online. They shipped it through FedEx.

Well, after 2 weeks, FedEx admitted to losing it. So Harbor Freight sent another one out. Well I finally got the second one last Friday.

First, there were no instructions in the box, not even a parts list. Luckily I found a copy online. It turns out I'm missing 2 pieces. So, now Harbor Freight is sending me out those two pieces. This order has been the absolute worst experience I've had with any online order in my life.

Home Depot sells the exact same 6 ton press, just with a better powder coating, for $40 more. So a $100 instead of $60ish that Harbor Freight sells it. I'm sure it's the same Chinese junk, but my experience with Home Depot in the past has been somewhat better.

Just an FYI for those considering buying a press for corning.

(rant over)
    My opinion of Harbor Freight is very similar. They burned me once. I will not ever give them a chance to do it again.

Banned

Sounds like FedEx had a hand in the problem too, though.

Boolit Master
    Every On Line Ordering Company has problems from time to time.
    It is how they Handle the problem is how I judge them.
    I agree that the shipper was the start of the issue.
    I had similar shipping problems with China Freights Shippers, but they did rectify the problem.
    But it is normal for us to think that we have to put up with all the stress just to save a dime, or avoid a long drive to get what we want.

Boolit Mold
    In all fairness to Harbor Freight, the first screw up was FedEx's fault. That huge delay was frustrating. But what gets m is the fact that Harbor Freight just sent a brown box with parts in it. It didn't even have so much as a picture to go by to put the thing together.

Then realizing it was missing two critical parts was just the cherry on the cake. This isn't an intuitive build either. Some things you kind of figure out how they go together just by looking at the parts, but this little machine ain't one of those things. It has been a frustrating transaction to say the least.

Boolit Master
    So
    When do you estimate you will be set up to Press Your Powder ?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    So
    When do you estimate you will be set up to Press Your Powder ?
    Tracking says the 17th. But I went ahead and screened a pound, because I was out and wanted to shoot some this weekend.

I wish kudzu could be used to make charcoal for black powder. It's everywhere around here.
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dsbock View Post
    I wish kudzu could be used to make charcoal for black powder. It's everywhere around here.
    You should
    have tons of black willow growing by you. Look around any were water is. Ponds, lakes & rivers. Here is some info https://www.thoughtco.com/black-will...erview-1343218
    Fly
    Last edited by Fly; 03-13-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dsbock View Post
    Tree of Heaven should also be abundant around you as well.
    Went through Rocky Top last weekend on the way to Oak Ridge for the Creedmoor match.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Indian Joe is a genius! Overall the most frustrating part of my powder making operation is grinding down the broken pucks. Holding on to the glass bowl while trying to grind uneven sized chunks is maddening at best. So gleefully plagiarizing and expanding on his fixed pipe system I came up with my own iteration. It's not quite finished, but you should get the general concept.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1049 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	238684

Took a 2" PVC coupling and ground out the stop in the middle and glued a length of 2" PVC all the way in so it has double thickness at the top 3". The layers are drilled to fit the tube and (will be) held in place with 4 set screws. The pipe stops about an inch above the top screen box and the cart gives me enough stabilization to make grinding (hopefully) effortless. Now that it has almost stopped raining here, I will be starting some new batches of powder this weekend and have a couple of pounds of pucks to grind.

Using scraps around the shop and the cart I rescued from the trash my total cost is $0 and about an hour and a half. I will tart it up later on.
    I am the one your mom warned you about!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Very good implementation of Mr. Indians idea. Really cool improvising.... keep going man.. we are watching...lol I have often wondered how something like a garbage disposal or something like it could take over the grinding? The teeth on the unit is right, but the speed is way off, pulverizing everything.. it would have to be a slow turning motor to keep from grinding too fast.. something like my drill press that has power, but variable speed, perhaps less then 60 rpm so the grains have a chance to fall?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Making an Electric, " Set It ,and Forget" it Grinder would be great.
    But ,I would be afraid of the sparks from the Electric part being the biggest Hazzard.
    In my years of Construction, I took classes on "Explosion Proof Electric Wiring and electric devices".
    We did a lot of work at one point at the oil refineries and Grinding mills.
    In the mills, you wouldn't believe the amount of explosive dust and material that is generated, and that builds up quickly.

But a Garbage disposal Grinding Cutter is a good idea, if the internal cutters were not made of metal that could spark and all the wiring and Motor were Explosion proof rated.
    But this is how we come up with better Ideas, by tossing out our thoughts and trying new things.
    But a Larger Ceramic Coffee Grinder, with a Larger Heavier Wheel to turn it rather than a small hand crank would be a better option IMO

Boolit Master
    It boils down to "are you wanting to go into mass production"? Or do want to make just enough for your own use?

Page 127 of 409 FirstFirst ... 2777117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137177227 ... LastLast