Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    See, A positive discussion.
    Because of your input, I may not be using the Cottonwood.
    But If I do, I will just get a better cleaning rod for swabbing the bore between shots.
    @ Vettepilot.
    I live in the Mesa Area.
    I did talk to the landscapers at the golf courses.
    They do have some willow trees by the ponds.
    But all that they throw out or trim is the smaller branches and Leaves, and I would have to be right there when the trimmed the trees, since they run the stuff into a chipper right away.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    See, A positive discussion.
    Because of your input, I may not be using the Cottonwood.
    But If I do, I will just get a better cleaning rod for swabbing the bore between shots.
    @ Vettepilot.
    I live in the Mesa Area.
    I did talk to the landscapers at the golf courses.
    They do have some willow trees by the ponds.
    But all that they throw out or trim is the smaller branches and Leaves, and I would have to be right there when the trimmed the trees, since they run the stuff into a chipper right away.
    How about up on the Salt where the Tubers cruise? Or around Saguaro, Canyon, or Apache lakes?

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    Speaking of "making friends" to gain favors; a bottle of Whiskey can go a looong way.

Where I grew up, there were county dirt roads to be graded and kept up. A ways behind the community was a 5000' dirt airstrip that I used. When the county road grader would come around, I would hide a bottle of whiskey in his grader for him, and on his lunch hour he would sneak over and grade that air strip for me. Ah yes, we used to live in such simpler times....

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    I do not live that far from where the Salt River Recreation Area for the Tubers is.
    In Fact, I built two sets of restrooms for that Facility there about 15 years ago.
    But that is all State or National Forest Land.
    You cant cut wood there or Haul off what is on the ground.
    You might be able to scavenge up wood for a Camp Fire and make Charcoal right there in the Park.
    But that depends if there are No fire Restrictions at the time.

Boolit Mold
    I'm hopeful mimosa makes an acceptable black powder charcoal. The trees literally sprout up everywhere, and grow incredibly fast. They really are weed trees in the southeast. I have easy access to all the mimosa wood I could ever use. Not so much when it comes to willow.

Quote Originally Posted by Markham View Post
    I'm hopeful mimosa makes an acceptable black powder charcoal. The trees literally sprout up everywhere, and grow incredibly fast. They really are weed trees in the southeast. I have easy access to all the mimosa wood I could ever use. Not so much when it comes to willow.
    /. Well, a while back I cut some small mimosa limbs and prepared enough to fit in my "Grandma's Killer Fruit Cake" can and set it aside to dry out. It is just sitting there and should be dry by now. Keep thinking I might get back to it instead of around to it which takes a little longer.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    /. Well, a while back I cut some small mimosa limbs and prepared enough to fit in my "Grandma's Killer Fruit Cake" can and set it aside to dry out. It is just sitting there and should be dry by now. Keep thinking I might get back to it instead of around to it which takes a little longer.

DOOOOooo it.

...and report the results.

Boolit Master
    Until it warms up and this snow all melts, I can't even get to where the willow grows, or scrounge through my pile of undesignated inventory to find a proper container for making the charcoal.

Boolit Master
    Speaking of different woods for charcoal has anyone tried Brazilian Pepper? It's an invasive bush that is fast growing and is all over the southern states. I have a lot of it growing on my property and am planning on cutting it back a bunch. I'm getting low on willow charcoal so maybe it's time to give Brazilian Pepper a try. Any reason I can't strip the bark off it and cook it when still green? Need to pick up another pound of potassium nitrate but still have plenty of sulfur on the shelf.

Boolit Master
    @ Eddie2002
    Just from my own experience.
    When I tried to make Charcoal out of fresh cut branches, that had not been dried for any length of time.
    I ended up with more Smoke and More Ash than Charcoal.
    But , that might have been the wood I was using, or the time of year I trimmed off the branches.

Boolit Grand Master

I try to gather and strip my willow in the Spring, after the sap rises. The fresh green bark peels with your finger nails. I cut it to length and let it dry till needed. The only difference is the amount of steam and extra time to char it.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Mold
    If I had easy access to black willow, I'd probably never want to experiment with any other wood.

My problem is, for whatever reason, willow just isn't that common in my local area. I have no idea why, but I almost never see willow trees, in fact, I can't remember the last time I saw one locally. So I have to buy it, if I want it. That's why I'm hoping Mimosa makes a useful charcoal. That weed tree is literally everywhere around here. You'll see those Dr Suez like pink flowers everywhere in late spring and early summer.

Boolit Master
    "If I had easy access to black willow, I'd probably never want to experiment with any other wood" Can't argue with that statement

I've got stands of Carolina Willow grown right next to the Brazilian pepper which need cutting back also. Guess I'll leave the Brazilian pepper on the brush pile and stay with what has been proven to work. Might try a real small batch using the B. pepper for charcoal just to scratch the itch.

Boolit Master
    I guess I am lucky to be living in a rural area. Willow is not as plentiful as it used to be due to clearing of fence rows and reclamation of other potential crop land, but there are still some fence rows, etc. where it just isn't profitable to clear the brush. The willow is still out there, but I have to go looking for it now.

Boolit Master
    Plant some Willow. They grow pretty fast, and look pretty nice. I believe you can root shoots and plant them....

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Plant some Willow. They grow pretty fast, and look pretty nice. I believe you can root shoots and plant them....

Vettepilot
    Yes. That is an option. I've even got the perfect place for it. An area of my lawn that is usually too wet to mow. Might as well be growing willow trees in that area. I tried one time to start a willow by planting a shoot. It didn't work, but at that time I was not very serious about it.

Boolit Master
    I got the yard to plant one in my new house, but I know my water bill will more than double this summer.

Too sunny and hot to grow Avocado trees like I had in California.
    I miss them. For the Fruit, not the wood

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I got the yard to plant one in my new house, but I know my water bill will more than double this summer.

Too sunny and hot to grow Avocado trees like I had in California.
    I miss them. For the Fruit, not the wood
    Run the drain water from your kitchen sink or washing machine to the tree(s). (But don't get caught.) It's really stupid; plants love that grey water, but the health department frowns on it.

Speaking of killer hot and dry, you should see the Lake Havasu area. Looks like the frickin' surface of Mars. No, not Mars; things might actually be able to GROW there! ;~)

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 03-07-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Boolit Master
    Speaking of gray water, That is why part of my lawn is so wet and soggy all the time. The leech field is there.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Plus 1 to what Mold maker said...

I cut the willow in the spring and use the bark to make pain medicine. I use it all.

I would recommend when you find willow growing somewhere, cut a few decent branches, they don’t have to be long, but a bit on the thicker then your thumb size. Cut them, bring them home, and stuff one end unceremoniously into the ground, just jam it in about 5 or 6 inches... it will grow... trust me on this. Keep the spot a bit on the damp side, and in a year or 2, you will have a crop of willow in your back yard... it grows fast, and hearty. Loves higher ph soil as well... does like it on the damp side... do it after last froze and the buds are in bloom, or even in the summer. Just make sure it has enough time to get some roots down before the freeze up...

Marko
    Last edited by Markopolo; 03-07-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Page 126 of 408 FirstFirst ... 2676116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136176226 ... LastLast