Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Mold
    The book is probably overkill and is just for those who are interested in the subject.

The author has cited his work, and if you read the preface, he even worked with some folks from GOEX for information on the commercial manufacture of black powder. I think he did a pretty good job. But let's face it, to make a shootable bp is simple. There is no reason whatsoever to read that book, or this entire thread for that matter. I think the information needed to make a shootable black powder, can probably be summarized on one page. In my opinion, the only value this forum has is discussing the topic and sharing personal information and experience. It's by no means the ONLY information on the subject, and it's probably overkill.

The basic procedure for making black powder is pretty much all the same for everyone. We shoot with GOEX, the pyrotechnic guys use it for sky art. Of course, what they do with various other chemicals is MUCH more complicated than just making black powder to shoot with, and quite frankly I have absolutely no interest in making fireworks.

The week I decided to try to make some bp, I bought a cheap kids rock tumbler off Amazon, order my ingredients online, followed the simple instructions on a couple of pyrotechnic websites, and made a very shootable black powder. I shot half of that first batch through my Walkers, within the first week from deciding to make it. It's just not that hard to do.

I joined this forum to discuss it, but it seems that there is some sort of dogmatic orthodoxy that has formed here. I find that strange. Is not the purpose of this thread to discuss black powder?

Boolit Mold

Cool

Making basic BP is pretty much the same for pyro guys and muzzleloaders. I made my first batch after reading this page: https://www.skylighter.com/blogs/how...quick-and-easy.

Personally I think that webpage is one the best resources for learning the basic technique, much better than a forum format could ever be. While it's a pyrotechnic website, the instructions for making black powder up to the point of mill dust is exactly the same as we use. It's only after that point the process begins to diverge depending on what the maker intends to do with the black powder.

With that said, I used their screening method to make perfectly serviceable black powder. I just used different sized mesh then they did and it shot fine.

Fly's corning method was made famous by this kid on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_3sNx1-fl4

I guess one of the forum members here made that video. But he does a pretty good job of explaining the basic concept of making pucks with Fly's die, and grinding them with a coffee grinder. As far as screening after the pucks are ground, I guess different folks use slightly different mesh sizes depending on what they want to shoot.

But that's pretty much it, when it comes to making black powder, isn't it?

We can talk about different woods to use in making charcoal, we can talk about sources of chemicals, we can talk about the screening method, or corning method, different tools we use. ...all sorts of stuff, in an informative and friendly enviornment.

...but at the end of the day. It's pretty simple. There's no reason to become dogmatic about it.

It'd probably be much more efficient if someone would write up a synopsis of this thread and post that to the first post. That would be much easier than having to weed through a forum format to get a game plan.

That way we can just discuss black powder, in a fun and informative way. Without anyone getting their feelings hurt. Life is way too short to get your panties in a bunch over this

HI INDIAN JOE!
    Last edited by Markham; 03-02-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Despite the misinformation. There is absolutely no difference between what the pyrotechnic guys do, and what we do. Up to a certain point. Once black powder has been turned into mill dust, it's processed differently for different uses.

I learned how to make black powder from this website: https://www.skylighter.com/blogs/how...d-black-powder

Up to the point of mill dust, the process would be exactly the same for both the pyrotechnic guys and the muzzleloaders.

How the mill dust is processed is where the difference begins. The pyrotechnic guys use all sorts of additional chemicals to produce their sky art. And I have no desire to learn that art. It's much more complicated then what we do to make a shootable black powder.

After you have your mill dust, you have a choice, do you want to add dextrin, and use a more traditional screening method? Similar to what the pyrotechnic guys do, just using different mesh sizes depending on the grain size you're looking for. I did this to produce the first few pounds of powder I shot. It's simple, and effective, and produces a very shootable bp.

Or, do you want to corn your powder? If you want to corn your powder, there are various methods. The one promoted in this thread has to do with using a die produced by Fly, a coffee grinder, and sieves, to grade your powder. The process is talked about in this YouTube video made by a member of this forum, and published in 2016. In the video you can see Fly's die. Which I can vouch for, since I own one. It's a very good product.

Link: https://youtu.be/w_3sNx1-fl4

I think he does a pretty good job explaining the concept in the above video. So that's pretty much it. Simple and to the point.

Of course there are all sorts of variables, like which kind of charcoal you might use. Where you might buy your chemicals. What kind of ball mill you use, what sorts of screens or sieves, or tools you might use.

But really, that's up to you.

Boolit Master
    I had never seen that video before? that's funny. Brush Hippie did a video on corning using my dies, but I do not know if there still on You tube. Brushy did
    a whole series making screened & corned powder.

Fly

Boolit Mold
    @Fly, have you ever thought about making a short series of videos on your recommended process? I think people would find it interesting.

Boolit Master
    I have but I have never done such a thing, & really do not know how to do that. You must remember I,m a ole school guy that grew up
    with out computers.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Being an " 0le School Guy" also, is why I seldom post pictures, Links or Videos.

Boolit Mold
    Talk about complicated....wow. This guy has published his plans for a fairly complicated black powder corning machine. The advantage is that it can be operated remotely, the disadvantage is, man, that's a lot of work to build it.

I think these are his plans.: http://www.passfire.com/Articles/Fre..._id=115&page=1

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I have but I have never done such a thing, & really do not know how to do that. You must remember I,m a ole school guy that grew up
    with out computers.

Fly
    All you have to do is find someone that will help you video it. I could walk you through the steps to upload the videos. It's really not that hard.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markham View Post
    All you have to do is find someone that will help you video it. I could walk you through the steps to upload the videos. It's really not that hard.
    I may take you up on the offer. I bought one of those cheap Go Pro clone cameras a while back, but have never used it.

Fly

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I may take you up on the offer. I bought one of those cheap Go Pro clone cameras a while back, but have never used it.

Fly
    Hey man, I'd love to help you do it. We can create you a channel, and you could publish different video series, or lectures. I think it would be a great resource for a lot of people. You have my email.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Being an " 0le School Guy" also, is why I seldom post pictures, Links or Videos.
    Hey @lags, the software that runs this website is pretty standard. It's not hard to work with, if you need any pointers shoot me a PM. I'll help if I can.

Boolit Mold
    I'd like to know if anyone has made charcoal from Mimosa. Specifically the weed tree in the southeastern United States. It seems to meet all the characteristics of a good wood. It's extremely fast growing, and the bark is easily stripped. I'm going to try it soon. But I'd like to know other's experience with it.

Boolit Master
    That is something I want to try also. As soon as it warms up some here 17 degrees I plan to try some. We have to growing wild
    in the forest here, & that is my plan also.

Fly

Boolit Master
    There is one at least one brand of commercial black powder that claims to be made of Alder. I did some research on Alder, and found that it is in the same family as Birch. Just food for thought.

Boolit Master
    I made up a batch of Alder Charcoal, and it worked good.
    But we don't have Willow out here to compare it with.
    Next wood when I get some time will be Cottonwood.
    We do have that in a little higher elevations down in the washes.

Boolit Master
    I have done cotton wood & it burns very fast. But it is the so dirty you can hardy load another
    round with out cleaning. Red alder works very well.

Fly

Boolit Master
    I have a huge cottonwood that is constantly shedding branches. It would be real easy picking for me because it is right in my yard. However, if it is as dirty as you say I will probably venture out a little further and find some willow.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I made up a batch of Alder Charcoal, and it worked good.
    But we don't have Willow out here to compare it with.
    Next wood when I get some time will be Cottonwood.
    We do have that in a little higher elevations down in the washes.
    Not sure where you are in Az., but I often see Willow here on golf courses. Ya might make friends with a grounds keeper, and score some cuttings. I've also seen it on the banks of some of the rivers; Salt, San Pedro, lower Colorado River, etc.

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I have a huge cottonwood that is constantly shedding branches. It would be real easy picking for me because it is right in my yard. However, if it is as dirty as you say I will probably venture out a little further and find some willow.
    Not only has cottonwood been identified as dirty burning, but that wood STINKS when burned!

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Page 125 of 403 FirstFirst ... 2575115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135175225 ... LastLast