Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    @ froogal.
    The Net is your friend.
    Everything can be ordered on line and for the most part cheaper.
    Or it can save you from running all over town looking for stuff.
    You can also make connections with others that may have extra material they wish to part with at a reasonable cost.
    They may also want to swap some Willow or willow Charcoal for what you need.
    "Horse Trading" is the name of the game.

Boolit Master
    Froogal,
    Duda Diesel has both and it is lab grade, I believe. It is where I got mine.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Markham View Post
    For the sake of clarity, I'll say it one more time, if you look up at your browser window you'll notice this website doesn't use HTTPS:// protocol. It's wide opened. I don't like that, it makes anonymity on this forum impossible. So be very careful what you post here. I don't understand why the website owners haven't upgraded their security.
    Indian Joe could give a flip what United States govt regulations say since he is not a US resident. His explanation makes perfect sense though.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I have learned enough here to know that I can do it. I have easy access to willow, but I cannot find the stump remover or sulfur at any of my local stores. I will broaden my search.
    Potassium Nitrate 5 lbs/$7.50
    https://www.sheffield-pottery.com/pr...p/rmpotnit.htm
    Last edited by Skipper; 02-24-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    @ froogal.
    The Net is your friend.
    Everything can be ordered on line and for the most part cheaper.
    Or it can save you from running all over town looking for stuff.
    You can also make connections with others that may have extra material they wish to part with at a reasonable cost.
    They may also want to swap some Willow or willow Charcoal for what you need.
    "Horse Trading" is the name of the game.
    Yes. I have found what I need on Amazon. The project is on hold. Still need to build or buy a tumbler, and build or buy a press. And then I need a grinder, and the correct screens, etc., etc. It will happen. Someday. If for no other reason than to be able to say "I did it".

Boolit Master
    Well the weather has warmed up so I can finally use my solar powder drier and I'm running my second 1/2 lb batch of screened powder. Going to use up my last pound of stump remover which will give me about 5 lbs of home made on the shelf and ready to go. All the ingredients were purchased locally and it cost about $7.00 per pound. I have enough home made to shoot for at least a year and along with my small stockpile of commercial I'm good to go. Next trip to the range I will try comparisons between home made and store bought.
    Not real worried about getting popped for making BP, nothing is illegal till you get caught and I"m not storing more than 50 lbs.

Boolit Master
    Yes. I have found what I need on Amazon. The project is on hold. Still need to build or buy a tumbler, and build or buy a press. And then I need a grinder, and the correct screens, etc., etc. It will happen. Someday. If for no other reason than to be able to say "I did it".
    Looks like I will need to order the stuff. Checked out a Wal-Mart in Missouri today. NO joy.

Boolit Grand Master

Thumbs up

The one thing your guaranteed to run out of is some days. If being able to say, "I did that", is important, don't put it off. You have good advice from folks that are way beyond novices. Don't wait to let "can do" be consumed by "get round to it", or you never will. If you've read the whole thread, you only lack experience. That's the one thing that only you can provide.
    Making BP is as simple as you allow or as complicated as you make it. The hard lead balls in a HF rock tumbler work. The short copper tubes filled with hard lead, in a fancy tumbler, work a little better. Get the idea?
    Don't skip steps or take short cuts, this really is rocket science.
    I shoot more and haven't bought BP in several years.
    Last edited by mold maker; 02-25-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I'm with Mold Maker, making decent BP was on my bucket list for a while and I'm glad I gave it a try. It's not hard to do just need to be careful step by step with no short cuts.

Boolit Buddy
    I see you are in Iowa. Menards sells Spectricide Stump remover. Harbor freight sells the double canister rock tumbler for $55.
    I am the one your mom warned you about!

Boolit Master
    If the Chinese could do this 600 years ago, then it should be a breeze for us.
    I don't think they had WalMarts in China back then, or the internet to get what we needed right away.
    Plan ahead for your budget, and make your dollar go further.
    Most of us here are not doing it to just save a few pennies.
    It is more of the satisfaction of doing something with our own two hands.
    You do not have to start this venture in your hobby at the top of the line stuff.
    Go back to basics, and the learning experience will last you a lifetime.

Boolit Master

Maybe it has been mentioned somewhere in here, but has anyone used sodium nitrate instead of potassium nitrate? Both are oxidizers.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    From what I have see, and read on Pyro sites, it Works, but is Inferior to Potassium Nitrate for making Black Powder for firearms.
    But it may work in Fireworks since it makes a slower burning powder.
    But I did read that it is used in Blasting Powder.

Boolit Master
    I can only (ask) but please lets not get on the using different chemicals thing again. You will only confuse people & end up getting someone
    hurt. Lets not go there please.

Fly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markham View Post
    Here's a link discussing it. https://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/t...-black-powder/

Short answer, is yes it can be used, but it has some serious drawbacks over potassium nitrate, especially when it comes to what we use it for.
    Ok dokie, will stick to motto "if it works, don't fix it!" Not looking to make anything other than good quality BP to work in my cartridges. Thanks for info!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotfxr View Post
    I see you are in Iowa. Menards sells Spectricide Stump remover. Harbor freight sells the double canister rock tumbler for $55.
    My closest Menard's is 80 miles away. I will get there, but right now I do not trust the weather enough to make that journey.

Super Moderator

Please end the hostilities on this thread guys.

Boolit Master
    Please.
    Lets All take a Chill Pill.
    I have got caught up in these misunderstood postings or misreading of posts before with other members.
    I took it to a PM with the member and worked out our differences.
    Let things not Taint a very good thread, or make it divided among the members.
    Thank you all for your cooperation

Boolit Master
    I agree entirely. This is a wonderful thread that I have enjoyed and learned a lot from. I am so glad it has somewhat "come back to life" after a brief slow-down. Let's keep it enjoyable, please!

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Buddy
    My closest Menard's is 80 miles away. I will get there, but right now I do not trust the weather enough to make that journey.
    How about AKIN Building Center in Clarinda? They have this: https://www.doitbest.com/products/700683

A better price than Menards too.
    I am the one your mom warned you about!

Page 123 of 410 FirstFirst ... 2373113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133173223 ... LastLast