Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master

I like flying as a means of transport but Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes - I never really understood that ?????? I spose like riding a Harley - if you need to ask ya wouldnt get it.[/QUOTE]

Started when I was 18, my first jump was also my first airplane ride. I had 40 jumps before I ever landed with one. Now I just fly them for a drop zone. Made my last jump on the 50th anniversary of my first jump. To say I was ate up with it would have been an understatement. I was hooked after that first jump and I busted my *** on the landing but was back the next weekend and so on.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    I made one jump (static line) at age 20, that was enough for me. I,m scared of heights, so don't ask why?

Fly (No I was not drunk)

Boolit Master

It isn't for everyone, that's for sure. That is the reason there are Fords and Chevy's. Not to mention Rolling Blocks, Sharps, Hiwalls, ETC.

Bob

Boz330 - "I like flying as a means of transport but Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes - I never really understood that ??????"

That's the thing about freefall parachuting...You can't explain it to anyone who hasn't done it, and for anyone who has done it, you don't need to explain.

NOW LET'S GET BACK TO BURN'N BLACK AND SMOKE POLES....
    Last edited by pwc; 09-06-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Are we ever going to talk about making black powder or have we exausted discussion about it?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pwc View Post
    Are we ever going to talk about making black powder or have we exausted discussion about it?
    As Joe said it is pretty much all here, short of going into commercial production. My powder doesn't come close to the commercial best out past 300yd. Under that yardage it does everything I need it to do and for the most part shoots minute of deer.
    I shoot BP out to 1200yd and any inconsistency will change impact dramatically at those sort of distances. I don't have a temperature controlled way to make charcoal and I think that might be the biggest factor in good BP. My powder is easily as good as standard Goex though.

Bob

I have only been following this thread for about a year...and learned how to make my own BP. When I started I went back to the very beginning and read every post. It took 3 late night evenings; I copied out what I thought was the most essential elements of making good BP. To be quite fair to all who posted, there were a LOT of good comments, and there were a lot of interesting comments that, for a lack better word, were 'noise'. That is not intended to diminish their worth, but they didn't directly talk to the actual manufactur of BP.

Now, what got me started is I have a cheap CVS .50 cal that I have never shot in the 10 ys I've owned it. My grandson shot it well enough in 4H that he was invited to their "Nationals". I do have some off the shelf BP, but I DO hope this winter (I'm in AZ and it's still 105) to make some of my own with the instructions / procedures here on this site.

Boolit Master

I mill mine for 24 hours, works in all my calibers. No measuring required! Hits paper quite well. It's dirty but cheap to make. 75/15/10
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    I mill mine for 24 hours, works in all my calibers. No measuring required! Hits paper quite well. It's dirty but cheap to make. 75/15/10
    What charcoal ya usin ?? mine is the cleanest BP I have had in years - hybrid willow - and watch that the sulphur you use is 99.9% pure yellow sulphur - theres a lot of sulphur product out there in agriculture that has 10% clay in it (got a bag of that **** in my shed still - not gonna use it)

oooooh picky picky picky!!! (got a bag of that cr@p in my shed - not gonna use it)

Hey Indian Joe, Would you believe, I had some sulphur with clay and put it in a big jar half full, added water and stirred well and let it sit. Came along and looked at it and you could see the line where it had separated. poured off the water and put the sulphur in the dehydrator.

I think what PWC is talking about is " We are talking the walk instead of ............Walking the talk".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    What charcoal ya usin ?? mine is the cleanest BP I have had in years - hybrid willow - and watch that the sulphur you use is 99.9% pure yellow sulphur - theres a lot of sulphur product out there in agriculture that has 10% clay in it (got a bag of that **** in my shed still - not gonna use it)

oooooh picky picky picky!!! (got a bag of that cr@p in my shed - not gonna use it)
    I use softwood to make charcoal in a ventilated paint can. I get everything else from dudadiesel.com. Very reasonable.

Boolit Master
    Dudadiesel is the way to go for bulk ingredients. Even with shipping it is possible to make BP at about $3.50 a lb. I used stump remover and the 90% sulfur and was happy with my results once I got the manufacturing procedure correct for screened. Been using Carolina Willow which is an invasive plant here in Florida for charcoal with great results. I'm not shooting BP enough to warrant buying supplies from Dudadiesel which is a shame cause it if kinda fun to make as well as shoot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    Dudadiesel is the way to go for bulk ingredients. Even with shipping it is possible to make BP at about $3.50 a lb. I used stump remover and the 90% sulfur and was happy with my results once I got the manufacturing procedure correct for screened. Been using Carolina Willow which is an invasive plant here in Florida for charcoal with great results. I'm not shooting BP enough to warrant buying supplies from Dudadiesel which is a shame cause it if kinda fun to make as well as shoot.
    Yep. Just amazing that if you know how to produce BP, cast your own bullets and even possibly recycle your primers, what's left to actually have to purchase? Brass? We all should plenty of brass on hand!

I granulate my BP into fine, medium and course using 3 different strainers using 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water. By granulating, it steers the powder away from being an "explosive" to more of a "propellant". Let it dry overnight and next day I test. I use a HF tumbler using some old cast lead rounds I had rejected. The longer you mill, the better ignition. Remember to release the lid on tumbler buckets every 4 hours as the powder may want to ignite/oxidize due to the vacuum build up in container. Eh, other than this I wanna really start making some sugar rockets! (fun!).

DISCLAIMER: I assume no responsibility for any damages as a result of my advice! DO YOUR RESEARCH!
    Last edited by Dieselhorses; 09-18-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pwc View Post
    How about shooting it?

I use the "basic" recipe: 75/15/10, ball milled using round balls cast in my muzzleloader mold, but using hardball lead, corned with a die and a HF 20 ton H press, ground with a coffee grinder, and screened with a 12 and 16 mesh strainer. doesn't pass 12, it gets ground again. Passes the 16, it gets re-corned. held in the 12, it's my 3F and shot. Willow charcoal.

Nothing fancy, nothing crazy. Just....simple.

I took it to a shoot last week. shoots high 40's at 50 yards which is the best the gun does anyways. You guys can experiment to get it shooting as good as swiss in BPCR at 500 yards, but my shooting is all done standing off hand at 25, 50 and 100 yards. This powder is PERFECT.

...maybe a little dirty.... That's OK.

Bottom line? the basic recipe works. No need to get weird or fancy. Just follow the basics, and the results are grand!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    How about shooting it?

joe in blue here

I use the "basic" recipe: 75/15/10, ball milled using round balls cast in my muzzleloader mold, but using hardball lead,
    Mill holds one kilo of meal - soft lead roundball - (gathered up all my off casts)
    corned with a die and a HF 20 ton H press, ground with a coffee grinder,
    and screened with a 12 and 16 mesh strainer. doesn't pass 12, it gets ground again.
    yes - or use for cannon
    Passes the 16, it gets re-corned. held in the 12, it's my 3F and shot.
    Nope! 12 to 16 is Fg, 16 to 20 is FFg, 20 to 40 is FFFg, 40 to 100 is FFFFg, finer than 100 goes back in the mill Willow charcoal.

I took it to a shoot last week. shoots high 40's at 50 yards which is the best the gun does anyways. You guys can experiment to get it shooting as good as swiss in BPCR at 500 yards, but my shooting is all done standing off hand at 25, 50 and 100 yards. This powder is PERFECT.

...maybe a little dirty.... That's OK. mine is clean - dirty is not ok at my place - dirty powder is what sent me down this road at the start + curiosity + I thought it be fun

Bottom line? the basic recipe works. No need to get weird or fancy. Just follow the basics, and the results are grand!
    and the more ya do it the better it gets!

Boolit Master
    Yep. Just amazing that if you know how to produce BP, cast your own bullets and even possibly recycle your primers, what's left to actually have to purchase? Brass? We all should plenty of brass on hand!

I granulate my BP into fine, medium and course using 3 different strainers using 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water. By granulating, it steers the powder away from being an "explosive" to more of a "propellant". Let it dry overnight and next day I test. I use a HF tumbler using some old cast lead rounds I had rejected. The longer you mill, the better ignition. Remember to release the lid on tumbler buckets every 4 hours as the powder may want to ignite/oxidize due to the vacuum build up in container. Eh, other than this I wanna really start making some sugar rockets! (fun!).

DISCLAIMER: I assume no responsibility for any damages as a result of my advice! DO YOUR RESEARCH!
    I must ask, why do you use alcohol?

Fly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I must ask, why do you use alcohol?

Fly
    Just speeds the drying process somewhat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    How about shooting it?

I use the "basic" recipe: 75/15/10, ball milled using round balls cast in my muzzleloader mold, but using hardball lead, corned with a die and a HF 20 ton H press, ground with a coffee grinder, and screened with a 12 and 16 mesh strainer. doesn't pass 12, it gets ground again. Passes the 16, it gets re-corned. held in the 12, it's my 3F and shot. Willow charcoal.

...maybe a little dirty.... That's OK.

Nope, nothing special. I load my 500 down with it and shoots like a musket ! Dirty but accurate for most part.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    and the more ya do it the better it gets!
    Amen!

Boolit Master

Just speeds the drying process somewhat.

I do the same, mainly because I have it around the shop for other purposes. Typically I'm not in that big a hurry though. It actually helps more for screened powder, but I have used it for both.

Bob

Bob

Page 110 of 404 FirstFirst ... 1060100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120160210 ... LastLast