Lee PrecisionRepackboxStainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters Supply
Graf & SonsInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102103104105106107108109110111112
Results 2,221 to 2,234 of 2234

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Has anyone tried Mimosa? I have broken off some limbs 5/8 inch and it snaps into easily. It grows fast. I should try some and give a report,Huh.
    By all means!

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    I have wanted to try that for some time. If you do let us know how it performs.

Fly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Has anyone tried Mimosa? .... I should try some and give a report,Huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I have wanted to try that for some time. If you do let us know how it performs.

Fly
    It's OK, but any more than one, especially on a Sunday after Church and it just makes the whole day sluggish.

Mimosa

Yes Mimosa wood has some qualifications for making BP such as fast growing soft wood. Green or dead it snaps in two easily. It may turn out to be too "dirty" to use. I am curious but alas, archery deer season is here and I will not have time to devote to making black powder or inventing my partially made gas check maker or doing any machining with the lathe or Bridgeport mill. Casting boolits and HiTek coating them. Actually powdercoated my hand forged hog knife made of 5160 that will rust even if you breathe on it. Joe, with Hi tek Coating will be glad to see another use of Old Gold.
    If one should get tired of looking at Old Gold it can be polished off and it won't be rusted underneath. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180908_170239.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	228361

Boolit Master

speaking of "dirty", any way to specifically control that? As in, anything that can be tweaked to modulate how dirty a powder does, or does not, burn?

Boolit Master
    Joe using fireworks powder is a terrible idea. If you do not know what kind of powder your using
    you may end up blowing your gun a part. Flash powder is used a lot in fireworks. Flash powder
    is very powerful & will blow a black powder fire arm up. I wish you had not posted that, for some
    one reading this thread might try it.

Fly

Say Fly.... that Juniper in OK that you spoke of.... is it "Alligator Bark Juniper", or "Shaggy Bark"? We have both kinds in Northern Az., but mostly the Shaggy. Here it is the "Alligator Bark" that smells just like Cedar.

Can anyone post pics of the different types of Willow please??? (Leaves, bark, etc.)

Fly, how much for a Die shipped to Az.?

Lastly, it seems like hardly anyone is achieving the density of commercially produced powders, even with MORE than the mathematically calculated proper force applied when corning. Why is that?

Thanks,
    Vettepilot

Ok, thanks! Hopefully I will be able to order one after the first, though I am not in a big hurry as my press is in storage 350 miles away. I am gathering the goodies to jump into this though, thanks to all you great guys and this fantastic thread.

Any ideas on that density question?

Vettepilot

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Lastly, it seems like hardly anyone is achieving the density of commercially produced powders, even with MORE than the mathematically calculated proper force applied when corning. Why is that?
    If you will read some of the latter posts, you will find that I have achieved weight per volume within 1/2% of Goex with mine. Plus it is shoooting 5% faster. And I know that I am not the only one here that has.
    I am the one your mom warned you about!

Yes, I had noticed your post about your success. But so many others have mentioned that even with supposedly sufficient press forces were only achieving 60 to around 75% of commercial densities.

For my personal shooting, it probably won't be a significant issue as I probably will only use it in my muzzle loader. I did shoot some black powder substitute shot gun shells I had loaded last weekend though, and that was a real kick in the a##! Lots of fun. Also, I can only assume that denser powders would be more durable in handling and storage. And besides, I'm curious and always seek answers and knowledge. (That's why I love this thread, and everyone's contributions. I've learned a lot, even though I had been informally studying the subject for 6 months to a year before I happened across this thread.)

Thanks,
    Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Cast boolits does not want me selling dies on this web site any more. The very few I sell was only to help you guys to make black powder.
    So that's ok I make no money at this any way. They kicked me off the political board & maybe this one also. I have only tried to help folks
    here. But I guess they do not want me here so I wish every one well.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    Vettepilot, I was able to get around 60%-65% density when compared to commercial powder like Geox with screening which is fine for using in my muzzle loaders. I tried compressing and corning but didn't have a good enough hydraulic press setup to get the pucks compacted enough to make a difference. If you decide to make screened BP powdered dextrin is available at drug stores sold as a laxative and beats trying to make it consistent batch after batch.
    For charcoal I'm using Carolina Willow which is an invasive brush type tree that grown in wet soil. Just about any type of fast growing willow seems to work well according to the general consensus. I ended up googling different types of willow to identify what grows locally and found that a patch of Carolina Willow is on my property.
    Fly, Sorry to hear about you not being able to sell your puck mold on this site any more, never got one when I had a chance.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotfxr View Post
    If you will read some of the latter posts, you will find that I have achieved weight per volume within 1/2% of Goex with mine. Plus it is shoooting 5% faster. And I know that I am not the only one here that has.
    My reference is a 45/70 shell brimful of last century Goex5FA (79 grains weight) ----I get 71 grains of my FF .... 89% ...I gave up worrying about it
    Using compression I can get equal weight loads in - my powder shoots cleaner than anything commercial I have used - I am getting good numbers over the chronograph - aint broke dont fix it!
    I have some here 3 years old - no noticeable deterioration in storage -

As to Vettepilot's why (guessing here)
    1) the faster charcoals are lighter = less dense (willow - pawlonia etc)
    2) we dont tumble to round off the grain structure
    3) nobody using graphite coating so it doesnt run into a measure as easy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Cast boolits does not want me selling dies on this web site any more. The very few I sell was only to help you guys to make black powder.
    So that's ok I make no money at this any way. They kicked me off the political board & maybe this one also. I have only tried to help folks
    here. But I guess they do not want me here so I wish every one well.

Fly
    Fly
    Sad to see you leave (if thats the case) but if it happens - know you have done way more than anybody realises - your posts have brought clarity into the confusion and chaos for many of us - well done!!!

Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102103104105106107108109110111112