RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    Right now, what I am using ( kitchen Strainers ) and what stays in a 20 is what I use for 2F.
    what stays in a 30 I use as for 3F.
    That may not be correct, but after I get set up for a better selection of screen sizes, I may change my mind.
    I don't shoot Flinters any more, so what passes thru a 30 gets re-prossed

Boolit Master
    I have been keeping what stays on my 50 screen for 3F. It is real close to factory in size. Took awhile to adjust my grinder to get set so 3F is the majority.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    A Number 40 professional Scientific Screen is 40 WIRES per inch.
    But the size that relates to the mesh hole size is only 35 HOLES per inch because of the Wire Thickness.
    We only care about the Hole Size.
    That is what your powder comes out to be.
    A 35 Hole Size per inch is perfect for 3F powder same as a 40 hole size per inch according to other more knowledgeable members on this forum

Boolit Master
    I am with Indian Joe on this one.
    ( Except for borrowing your wife's kitchen strainers) you could end up sleeping on the couch.
    We are not doing this as a scientific experiment.

And the older Commercial Powder sits in the can, it does grind down a bit and make more Fines.
    So IMHO, Go with what you Have, and enjoy your hobby

Boolit Master
    My wife gets new stuff all the time, weather I use it or not.
    The price you pay for being with a Food Channel Junky.
    I am a good Cook, but she is a Chef

Boolit Master
    @ Markham.
    Those would even work for the amount of powder that I do.
    I aint in no big rush to end up with a Stockpile of powder.
    And it is a Set, so you are not using a bunch of Mismatched strainers and looking all disorganized in you work area.

Boolit Master
    For FLY:

Fly: The "system" never notified me of your Private Message, but I just discovered it and answered you.

Thanks and take care,
    Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    @ indian joe.
    You may have a very good point and have worked out a fine system.
    I may just have to re- evaluate my situation now that I retired.
    I may end up doing a whole lot more shooting now that I have more free time.
    That may mean that I will need to make more powder than I have used in the last couple of years.
    I am glad I don't have Weather or Seasonal concerns like others do around the country that restricts or effects my hobby.
    In fact, I am headed to the range today to hopefully get in a little shooting with a friend even though it is supposed to be raining.
    We are not taking the BP guns out today, only some old Mil Surps he is considering buying from me.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Yep.. that is what I do too.. one batch per year.. enough to last me.. gets bottled and dated.. I store it in the tall Aliant bottles.. by vintage... kinda like wine...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B9-D2-AC46-8157-4868-992-A-40-C16-DC8-F08-C.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	236484

Works for me... I also keep notes on the vintages... lol..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    This will be fun and when ya do it I want explicit details on your container and how you set it up cuz I can get some of that $2.25 powder too - do ya reckon it would work with meal powder straight out of the mill (that would save a lot of work!!!) That would be fun!!!!!
    So you drill the bottom of your container and run the fieuse in there?
    Like Jerry Orbach said in Dirty Dancing, "When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong". This time I was wrong. I talked to one of the guys that I blew stuff up with before and he reminded me that we dug the canisters down into the dirt a couple of inches because of the wind that day and they did leave small craters. I went out to a friends ranch yesterday and blew up a pound of powder in an uncapped plastic jar. Ran the fuse up through the bottom. All I can think is the bottom of the jar prevented the blast from going down. I really don't care because it was a spectacular explosion. I am having brain related technical difficulties getting the video from my Iphone to my computer so I hope it shows up here. The flaming projectile looking things heading for the heavens are chunks of a couple of small pucks I just broke up and added to my mix of various grinds that were slated for re-pucking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChwV...ature=youtu.be

I updated the link so it works.
    Last edited by Hotfxr; 02-27-2019 at 11:47 PM.
    I am the one your mom warned you about!

Boolit Master
    How much powder did you burn in that explosion?

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    How much powder did you burn in that explosion?

Fly
    One pound.

Boolit Master
    Hey! I wanted to see that video, but when I click on it, it says "URL Signature Expired". :>(

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Hey! I wanted to see that video, but when I click on it, it says "URL Signature Expired". :>(

Vettepilot
    I will try to get it back up. Like I said before, I have a bad case of "Cain't figger it out" when it comes to computers.

Ha! Figgered it out. Here is a link to YouTube where I just posted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChwV...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Hotfxr; 02-22-2019 at 01:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markham View Post
    Can you comment on how long the copper jacket holds up? How long have you been using them?
    Sorry; I've only made a few batches so I don't know how long it will last.

Boolit Master
    So far, in the little powder making that I have done, I make the batches, say 1/2 Lb. at a time.
    Then I press it, dry it, grind it, and screen it into the size I want.
    Then Weigh samples of the screened powder measured in a consistent Measure like a 45/70 case.
    That gives me an Idea of the density of the powder in each small batch.
    Then I have the choice of mixing ALL if the batches together, which gives me One Big Average.
    Or mixing only the batches together with Similar Densities, and getting smaller batches that each have their own weight consistency.
    That can give me several batches with Different Densities for different Uses, like the highest for Cartridge guns, or Revolvers where Space is a good concern.
    The lower density stuff will be marked separate and used in the Front Stuffers where Space is less of a factor.
    IE.
    If a 45/70 case full of Factory 3F weighs say 78 grains.
    And Two or three batches of your 3F only weighs 68 grains, but another batch weighs 58 grains or less.
    Keep them separate, and shoot them in different guns.
    I have had batches made the Exact same way, weigh as low as 55 grains in a 45/70 case.
    if you take the time and work at it, you can end up with a more consistent and higher density powder.
    But if you choose to mix all the batches together, then you are lowering your Average Density Weight, but you in turn are Raising the average density if the Lower Weight Batch, but not by much

Boolit Buddy
    For the last (almost) two years I have been working on consistency, mixing it up 8oz's at a time. My weight has been within 1% or less of Goex and averages 5% faster when chrono'ed. I have containers for each grain size and just keep refilling them, adding the new to what's already there. However, I shoot PRB's and the cannon, and have never shot a black powder cartridge firearm, so I cannot compare. My aim is just not good enough for me to tell the difference in accuracy and the cannon can have leaves and twigs mixed in without seeming to make a difference. The cannon using 3 to 4 ounces per shot I guess leaves a lot of forgiveness in the loads. One of these days I will get some of the competition guys in the club to go out with me and set up a solid comparison between my powder and commercial under more controlled conditions. Maybe this summer, we will see.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Markham View Post
    Hey man, I just wanted to know if what I heard was the truth or not. One thing I'm not overthinking is this website doesn't use a secure protocol. That may or may not be important to you.
    You are allowed to have up to 50 pounds of black powder in possession. Last time I checked there is no legal difference between homemade powder and commercial. The states are forbidden to enact any further regulations regarding black powder than the BATF&E already have on the books. (Of course that doesn't stop them from trying i.e. New Jersey and my home, California) You are not allowed to sell it or even give it away. Technically even "club buys" where a club buys 50 pounds of powder and either folks put money in the pot or the club sells it to the members is illegal, but usually overlooked by the ATF. You can however, pull it out at the range and "share" it with whomever happens to be around when you are shooting.
    For reference, I am a FFL holder and this comes directly from my area investigating ATF agent.
    This only applies to powder used in conjunction with antique or replica muzzleloaders, not pyrotechnics. Pyrotechnics is a whole different ball game and I am not familiar with those rules outside of there are a lot of them, especially here in CA.

Boolit Master
    Federal regulations are one thing.
    But never forget the Local Or State Regulations.
    Like local Fire Regulations out here, you can only have 7 pounds of Black Powder in your house without a special permit and a Powder Magazine.
    They also will not let Gun Shops put out any kind of Powder, ( black Or Smokeless ) or primers out where the customers can serve themselves.
    They require you to ask the salesman for what you want.
    They say it is a Fire Code for this town Mesa Az.
    But the Town right across the street is Totally Different.

Boolit Master
    I have learned enough here to know that I can do it. I have easy access to willow, but I cannot find the stump remover or sulfur at any of my local stores. I will broaden my search.

Page 122 of 408 FirstFirst ... 2272112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132172222 ... LastLast