StainLess Steel MediaWisconsin TriggerRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionGraf & SonsTitan Reloading

Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 367677787980818283848586
Results 1,701 to 1,708 of 1708

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Buddy
    Fly - I am one of those of which you speak - dont really know what was the trigger to get me doing this - maybe my stash of good powder running out - see I almost ran out of powder soon after I started shooting black (1989) - I still remember travelling my part of the country and buying every can of goex I saw in any gunshop I could find - then a friend from another club offered me a split deal to share 50pound bags of GoEx 5FA - he did the work - I took all I could handle and built a supply that lasted me most of 20 years (didnt shoot as much in later times either) - that stuff was real nice powder made in the Moosic plant but eventually we came to the end of it - what to do - Swiss is the good stuff but over 100bucks a kilo - Wano is out there available but I never liked it - anyway something set me going. I read all I could, first on a pyro forum then later found this place, as luck would have it we have willow growing on the farm - that was major - but attitude was part of it too - we (all of us humans) tend to overcomplicate things - and part of my approach the last several years to anything is look for the basic process - and here my thought was - well they did it in a cowshed in year1700 so the basic process is simple - just use the best ingredients you can find and do the basic process really well ... I made my first powder early 2015 - It shot clean and I was hooked !! .. I went to a major ML shoot in july that year and walked off the stage with three firsts shooting my flintlock against the caplock boys and using my own powder - that was screened powder not pressed and if I only shot muzzle loaders I dont believe I would change - last year I bought a chronograph and went to work testing it in cartridge rifles - made some pressed powder but that is so much more effort .. then just recently some of the guys here posted (or reposted) info on the ceramic coffee grinders - along the way Fly told me my pucks were too thick - that made sense cuz busting them up was my main headache - still is really. I have made a lot of stuff - screens, made my ball mill, press and dies for making pucks, made a workstand for the coffee grinder, still figuring something to bust up those pucks - some kind of a spiked roller affair (brass or aluminium) is rolling round in my head - I processed three kilos of dried pucks a few days ago - took most of an afternoon with the screening. Anyway at this point I can make powder thats right up close to Swiss in burn rate, shoots cleaner than any powder I ever used, we get good numbers over the chronograph. Theres a few tweaks left to find for sure but I know where to come to for info and ideas now so it will fall into lace easy I reckon.

Boolit Master
    Had to put making powder on the back burner for a couple of weeks, got tied up with the .69 caliber left handed light Dragoon pistol build along with nicking a finger with a band saw, ouch!!.
    Looks like I've a small willow growing on the property which seems to be the charcoal of choice which is good but am still looking for a local supplier of sulfur. For the amount I shoot I really don't need to make black powder but it does sound like a fun project none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    Had to put making powder on the back burner for a couple of weeks, got tied up with the .69 caliber left handed light Dragoon pistol build along with nicking a finger with a band saw, ouch!!.
    Looks like I've a small willow growing on the property which seems to be the charcoal of choice which is good but am still looking for a local supplier of sulfur. For the amount I shoot I really don't need to make black powder but it does sound like a fun project none the less.
    I'm not sure about the shipping requirements, but if it isnt considered a hazmat, I'd be happy to ship you some if you'll pay the shipping cost.

Just one small pile of scrap lol.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, worn out, shouting "Holy Sh&$....What a ride!"

Hey guys, I would have gladly sent anyone some sulfur, but its not cost effective for me to do it. USPS lists it as prohibited, and it would cost close to $20 for me to ship 3 lbs UPS or FedEx. Amazon has it listed at $11 for 3 lbs or $22 for 10 lbs. Those prices are including shipping. If anyone is ever close to me and wants some, just let me know ahead of time and I'll get you a bunch free of charge, but its not worth it to ship it.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, worn out, shouting "Holy Sh&$....What a ride!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	197982
    Cast slug propelled by my homemade black(90 gr) shot out of an 870 rem. black powder shotgun shells are fun! Got about 6" of penetration in that hackberry.

Hi all.
    I found this forum by accident and I'm pleased to meet you, I have read through a lot, but there is so much info. I'm a pyro guy with a passion for black powder rockets, however, I made a .44 cal 12 inch cannon, my powder works really well. I bought a 20kg bag of KN03, fertilizer, which has lasted 10 years, and I have plenty left. Please believe me, it is not pure. Google Richard Nakka rockets, this guy is brilliant, under fuels, go to 'purification'. The process is a pain, but worth getting 99% pure KN03

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Paul View Post
    Hi all.
    I found this forum by accident and I'm pleased to meet you, I have read through a lot, but there is so much info. I'm a pyro guy with a passion for black powder rockets, however, I made a .44 cal 12 inch cannon, my powder works really well. I bought a 20kg bag of KN03, fertilizer, which has lasted 10 years, and I have plenty left. Please believe me, it is not pure. Google Richard Nakka rockets, this guy is brilliant, under fuels, go to 'purification'. The process is a pain, but worth getting 99% pure KN03
    Get the greenhouse grade or (better again?) hydroponics grade fertiliser - is good stuff - my powder does better than Goex over the chronograph - GG KNO3 + yellow dusting sulphur + hybrid willow charcoal.

Boolit Master
    Just thought you guys might be interested in another slant on charcoal making: I found it interesting anyway. Making the charcoal starts at about 1 minute in.

https://youtu.be/V_Mp1fNzIT8

Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 367677787980818283848586