Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 20 of 410 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Buddy
    you could sell some of that in the swapping and selling section. Maybe get some good lead for it

Boolit Master

I just ordered an 8# bag of willow lump charcoal for $37 from customcharcoal.com. Free shipping. The outfit is in North Carolina I think. I'll get out my meat grinder and have at it. Will report back.

Boolit Master

PS- how do you get to be "bullet man" "bullet bub" "bullet rock star" etc? Shoot Straight, T-Bird

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    PS- how do you get to be "bullet man" "bullet bub" "bullet rock star" etc? Shoot Straight, T-Bird
    Make more posts to become Boolit Master, etc.; contribute to site and get upgraded services, etc.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

Unhappy Reason for my lack of progression

Well, sorry guys for not getting my project any further along than I have.

Good reason, I guess- the wife has decided to DIVORCE me, so for the last week or so I have been trying to get my act together, and work too, and haven't had time to fool with anything else.

Got to look out for my kids best interest, etc. This has been VERY HARD for me to accept, too. I didn't get a chance to make things better, etc. I had no idea that she was so unhappy...........

The way my luck goes these days, if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying!

Lee's signature line says it all- "Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now."
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

Cool, By the way, I misread the Customcharcoal site, they are in North California not North Carolina. Shoot Straight, T-Bird

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sometimes View Post
    I didn't get a chance to make things better, etc. I had no idea that she was so unhappy...........
    "
    Women have a spot in their brain where they store every little thing that pisses them off. It has a one way valve with a pop-off.
    The pop-off never seems to work until they have enough stuff in there to make them want a divorce.
    And they say WE are weird!

Hey, can you take some BP of a different granular size and wet it down to a mudball somehow and then screen it into the sizes you need?

as BP is difficult to get up here, but fireworks are everywhere, I am wondering if I could open a fireworks stick and salvage the powder.

is this doable? using water, or alcohol?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    as BP is difficult to get up here, but fireworks are everywhere, I am wondering if I could open a fireworks stick and salvage the powder.

is this doable? using water, or alcohol?
    There's a good chance that the fireworks available up there don't have BP in them or made with potassium nitrate. So, most likely not.

Have you found or ordered any "instant cold packs" yet? Depending on the brand, you could use them to make potassium nitrate.

Boolit Master

Sorry about your latest troubles Charlie. I didn't respond "cool" to your problems like it appears in the thread. When I posted, your post with your divorce in it wasn't up. T-Bird

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    There's a good chance that the fireworks available up there don't have BP in them or made with potassium nitrate. So, most likely not.

Have you found or ordered any "instant cold packs" yet? Depending on the brand, you could use them to make potassium nitrate.
    yeah... about that...

I checked and it seems it is very illegal in Kanada to make one's own BP, so looking for KNO2 is a nonstarter.

I did find some stump remover that is potassium nitrate. expensive, but seeings how I can't legally make BP, it is irrelevent.

so i was just looking for alternatives

Boolit Master

Not trying to encourage any civil disobedience but for me it is a matter of knowing how to do it if I ever had to. Other than that it is kinda fun. Besides that I did it when it was against the supreme law at the time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my DAD. I did pay for it when caught though.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sometimes View Post
    Good reason, I guess- the wife has decided to DIVORCE me, so for the last week or so I have been trying to get my act together, and work too, and haven't had time to fool with anything else.
    Well man, not sure about your situation, but I wouldn't give up hope yet. My wife kicked me out for 8 months and I let her know several times in letter, text message and phone calls that I really wanted to work on things and she didn't want to have anything to do with that. Then I got my life straight and started praying for God's intervention and quit calling or writing. Next thing I knew, she was knocking on my door and we're still going strong several years. If god could soften Pharoah's heart, he can soften your wife's if you ask him. 8) Good luck to you regardless of the outcome. I pray you can keep your family together.

Boolit Master

Here is a pic of my first pressed cakes. I'm going to let it dry over the weekend and corn it next week. It will be interesting to see how this compares to the last batch for density and velocity.
    Last edited by Boz330; 11-27-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Those look great boz.Something I'm looking to try is this.http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-CM-50-.../dp/B003S9XF7K

I like this one for it's ceramic & will not spark.I also like the idea of a hand crank
    so it would not generate much heat.Those type of conical burr grinder are supose
    to grind the most uniform grinds.

NEVER USE A BLADE GRINDER (EVER).Any way there are some ceramic burr
    grinders that are cheaper, I just saw this one & it seemed like a good one.

Set it on course grind & it should make what we need, I would think.

Fly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Those look great boz.Something I'm looking to try is this.http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-CM-50-.../dp/B003S9XF7K

I like this one for it's ceramic & will not spark.I also like the idea of a hand crank
    so it would not generate much heat.Those type of conical burr grinder are supose
    to grind the most uniform grinds.

NEVER USE A BLADE GRINDER (EVER).Any way there are some ceramic burr
    grinders that are cheaper, I just saw this one & it seemed like a good one.

Set it on course grind & it should make what we need, I would think.

Fly
    That would sure beat the devil out of beating it up with a ball bat. What size screen are you using to grade your powder? I think I got the wrong size. The bulk of the powder I burn is 2F.

Bob

Boolit Master
    16 mesh will make 2ffg.Boz I use a SS strainer from Wal-Mart.It's just like the
    one Atom has pictured early in this thread.

Fly

Boolit Master

16 mesh will make 2ffg.Boz I use a SS strainer from Wal-Mart.It's just like the
    one Atom has pictured early in this thread.

Fly
    I got one of those as well. I guess I'll use that to bust up this first batch and if I get the results I want maybe I'll invest in one of the ceramic coffee grinders. I would think that controlling the size via the grinder would sure make things quicker and easier.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I got one of those as well. I guess I'll use that to bust up this first batch and if I get the results I want maybe I'll invest in one of the ceramic coffee grinders. I would think that controlling the size via the grinder would sure make things quicker and easier.

Bob
    Boz that's what I,m thinking.My Gibb,s should be coming in any day.Corning is
    a pain in the you know what.But the way these gun's shoot I plan to corn this
    powder.

I got to reading how much more uniform the the grains were I thought it
    might be worth a try.If it did not work to what I think it would, I will just
    wash it good, for I love my Java sitting on the deck in the eary morning!

Fly:

Longwood

I like this one for it's ceramic & will not spark.
    Fly
    Are you 100% certain it will not spark?

Page 20 of 410 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast