Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I do the same, mainly because I have it around the shop for other purposes. Typically I'm not in that big a hurry though. It actually helps more for screened powder, but I have used it for both.

Bob

Bob
    I add some home made dextrin (about 1%) to help it hold together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    The only thing that activates dextrin is water. The small amount of water in alcohol I do not think is doing much. The only people
    including myself in pyrotectics that used alcohol were the ones using red gum as a binder. Alcohol is what activates red gum. I
    don,t see it hurts anything but I doubt it helps ether. Also a small amount of water helps to break down the KNO-3 & help as a binder . To much water
    will make it crystalize after drying. JMOHOP!
    Fly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    The only thing that activates dextrin is water. The small amount of water in alcohol I do not think is doing much. The only people
    including myself in pyrotectics that used alcohol were the ones using red gum as a binder. Alcohol is what activates red gum. I
    don,t see it hurts anything but I doubt it helps ether. Also a small amount of water helps to break down the KNO-3 & help as a binder . To much water
    will make it crystalize after drying. JMOHOP!
    Fly
    Didn't know that. I'll just use water next time! My wife (for some reason) has several bags of "confectioners" sugar. Wonder if she'll miss any of it LOL

Boolit Master

Every one says that you need a binder for screened powder or it will revert back to meal but I have some screened powder that is at least 5 years old that is still intact. Now I haven't tried to load it but I have it in a clear plastic jar and it looks OK. Since I mostly load cartridges with my powder I haven't used it since initially making it. Might be if I try to use it, it might fall apart then.
    Since it is so light and fluffy I was thinking about using it in my 577-450. The Magtec cases hold like 115gr of regular powder and I'm not that interested in severe recoil. The weight of the screened would probably be about 70gr with a full case.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

it'll look fine in the jar.

Take some out and crush it between your finger and thumb. See if it turns to dust. That's what happened to me, using dextrin. The very next batch I bought an a-frame press and die to corn it. Way better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    it'll look fine in the jar.

Take some out and crush it between your finger and thumb. See if it turns to dust. That's what happened to me, using dextrin. The very next batch I bought an a-frame press and die to corn it. Way better.
    Thanks whiterabbit, "corning" was the term I was trying to think of! I want to learn how to do that. Seems more manageable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Ya corning is a little more trouble but worth it.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a Coffee Grinder to grind up the Pucks that I pressed.
    I see both electric and Manual, Burr Grinders, Stainless steel Blades as well as Ceramic Types.
    I am fairly new to this, and have no interest in finding out what the other side of the Moon looks like.
    And how good are they in turning your Pucks into 2 F or 3 F and not just ending up with Dust every time ?

Boolit Master

Ceramic burr grinder. Cheap on amazon.

I took the crank off mine and chick it in a hand drill. That was a really nice little upgrade. I adjusted the grind until I got mostly the right size, then leave it there.

If you corn the powder it comes out like a ceramic, and you grind aggressively to get your sizes, then screen to filter what you want. You get minimal dust.

If you use dextrin and get the experience I did, then if you look at it sideways it turns to dust and becomes a soupy mess when shot. No thanks!

-------------------------

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic...c+burr+grinder

The bottom is twisted for a Mason jar, so I could put a half-gallon jar on there if I wanted and just keep feeding the hopper.

Boolit Master
    Wow!!! What a thread!! I think I will need a new glasses prescription, but I have made it through 80 pages so far!

Thanks to EVERYONE for the great posts, the entertainment, and the knowledge. I will be reading all the rest of the posts too, but I skipped ahead here to the current page to ask a couple of quick questions.

I am currently living in northwestern Arizona, and it looks a lot like the pictures from Mars; NO vegetation-->>forget cool trees like Maple, Cedar, Alder, Black Willow, etc. I could probably find some Cottonwood somewhere near the Colorado River, but it burns dirty. However, next week I am going camping/shooting in the high desert to the east, and there is TONS of Juniper there. It's listed as around 33 to 35 lbs. per foot. Has anyone here tried it?? How does it work??

Also, there's something whacky about the posted links to the ceramic burr grinders on Amazon. NONE of them go to any grinder for 8 or 10 bucks, and sometimes they don't go to grinders at all. ???

Thanks so much again everyone! You are all amazing!

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Ah, one more thing.... Just as everything has these days, the price of screens has skyrocketed. No more screens for a few bucks. What's the best source these days? I can use raw/bulk screen and make my own boxes, but all the graded screen I've seen is NUTS in price!

Thanks,
    Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Joe has given you some great advice. Wood for charcoal, easy. Cedar wood chips, can be had at pet stores for bedding.
    Also Lowes, Home Depot sell cedar mulch for land scaping. Makes easy good charcoal.

Remember this! (Stick with us & you will be wearing jewels)

"Wink" Fly

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys! I won't be needing veil material, (unless it comes wrapped on a pretty gal), because anything smaller than 3fg will get recycled in my case.

Sure would like to know about that Juniper wood though. I will probably bring a bunch back with me, but it would be nice to know if it's any good before I leave on my trip Friday. It seems to be in the right density range, but might get disqualified for burning dirty as other woods have. I do know that as a firewood, it does not soot up a chimney anything at all like pine....

BINGO on the ebay coffee grinder--> Thanks!

Thanks again,
    Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 10-02-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Vettepilot,
    If you would like to try some Tree of Heaven, I can send you enough for a 1 pound batch if you cover postage. PM if interested.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    Hey thanks for the very kind offer! I will probably take you up on that.

I have been searching for more info on Juniper. Apparently there was a powder works in England from 1798 to 1935 that used Juniper CC in their powder. From what I've read, it was considered the finest wood and was used to make premium powder for the rich folks!

Now I am for SURE going to grab a bunch on my trip! That would be really cool if I had a (somewhat) local supply of good, useable charcoal fodder!

Thanks,
    Vettebob

Boolit Master

English Juniper might be different than what you can get here, but by all means give it a try. The juniper that I'm familiar with burns very dirty in a fire, although I'm not sure how that would translate to CC. I was one of the early folks to try TOH and have been pretty happy with it. Biggest reason was it is locally available and results were good. Kind of a use what you got sort of thing. Good luck.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Juniper tree, I can help. I live in the eastern forest of Okla. We have tons of juniper trees. Most people here believe
    they are eastern cedar. It is hard some times telling the two apart. But yes I have made a ton of charcoal from them.
    Both for fire arms & fireworks. To be honest I can not tell any difference in the charcoal from cedar charcoal. As Bob said
    it does burn a bit dirty, but there is many that burn dirtier. Yes by all means try it.

Fly

Has anyone tried Mimosa? I have broken off some limbs 5/8 inch and it snaps into easily. It grows fast. I should try some and give a report,Huh.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Has anyone tried Mimosa? I have broken off some limbs 5/8 inch and it snaps into easily. It grows fast. I should try some and give a report,Huh.
    By all means!

Bob

Boolit Master
    I have wanted to try that for some time. If you do let us know how it performs.

Fly

Page 111 of 409 FirstFirst ... 1161101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121161211 ... LastLast