RotoMetals2PBcastcoWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master

Roman republic for me. Not much of a study of BP tho...

I’m guessing slip of the pen.

Fly, I'm 73 too....have my 4th great grand around Christmas. I have a Prius that will almost match your bike on mileage. Not playing one upman ship...just comparing old farts.

I know what you mean, I feel like a 17 yr old trapped in a 73 yr old body.

Boolit Master
    pwc I,m so glad I,m not the only ole fool here. But buddy I,m having the time of my life right now. Life is
    good if one just takes the time to enjoy it (wink).

Fly

Boolit Master
    Guess I'm still a young whipper snapper at 65. Saw my dad retire at 74 with no retirement plans and it basically killed him from boredom in two years. He pretty much gave up, a lot of getting old is in the mind. Gotta enjoy what you have, a lot of people out there haven't made it even this far.

Boolit Master
    You know Eddie I hear that a lot of retirees getting bored. I found out real quick how many chores around my home
    I neglected. My wife made sure of that. But I have always had many hobbies in my life time. I,m now getting into PCP
    air rifles also. I have always had springers but PCPs were just too expensive. But now a fellow can get into a entry level
    for $200.

They will never take over from my Black Powder guns. But they are fun to shoot & hunt squirrels with.

Fly

Well I have the muzzle loader, diy powder horn and everything else I could cobble into being, just don't shoot it much at all. The mention of retirees being bored as Eddie's dad #2167 post is what I hear a lot of friends say to me. Wish I had something to do. Well, here is some advice from an old rooster who likes to crow a little after daylight around the crack of eight. Guys when you first wake up just think positive like, I am able to put my feet on the floor and stand and walk and smell the bacon, hear and see. This is the day that the Lord made and I am going to enjoy every minute of it. Like Mr. Fly mentioned, there are many hobbies in my life as well. I get sidetracked easily and may have more than one thing going at a time, but never bored. Well maybe at some social event listening to a poor performer.(once) I am amazed at the talent that is shown all over Castboolits/gunloads.com. Seems like bored retirees could find something to hold their interest just by reading if they are handicapped physically or carving on a piece of wood, sharpen a pair of scissors or something. Helping others is very gratifying as well like Fly does. I am 83, a decade ahead of you 73'ers leading a busy life hunting pigs (bow and gun) fishing , going to the gym free with Silver Sneakers card. I have to say that I am blessed by God. I could tell of my health problems but no one wants to hear that. Bladder cancer survivor, started writing a song with one very short verse. It goes like this. " They're goin to make an it out of me dum tee dum tee dum An they did" LOL Still functioning somewhat. Life is good. Bill

Boolit Master
    You know fellows I look at life like this. We ole guys are in our forth quarter of this game. Like OBH said we wake to a new day god gave us
    let use it. My lord this is the first time in my life I ever had the time to enjoy the things I love doing. Every time I hear some one say,
    (have a good day) I think you bet, for I never plan to have a bad day if I have control of it.

I love each of you & that why I keep coming back here.
    Fly

Boolit Master
    Old is in the mind, I don't consider myself a senior citizen I go to work every morning for 45 min. and every afternoon for 45 min. I make my own BP and enjoy but I also have simi auto I enjoy also I like to try new stuff, and have built several rifles. I drove a freight truck for 30+ years retired and un retired, and I am only going to be 80 my next birthday. But don't call me old it is insulting. IMHO BP forever!
    Frank G.

I learned something new today. I cut some ToH back the beginning of June but it was one of those "I'll get to it later" projects. So I had it cut into 5' sections that I left under a Pu$$ywillow tree in the backyard just to "season". So...today I decided it was "later" and went to strip the bark off of it. It came off in long strips and didn't smell bad at all. It took me only 20 minutes to strip all 8 - 4" round pieces that I had put on the "back burner". I think the next time, I'll let it season for awhile again. I didn't need to use a knife, draw knife, or axe to get the bark off. It came off with just my thumbnail.

If you use ToH and have the time...let it sit for awhile before stripping.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Hey Freightman isn't it nice when some young clerk asks "Are you over 65?"

Wow...you guys are old (yes...I'm kidding)

I'm just "getting there" at 55. But I have to say...I've noticed a huge change in the last 5 years...energy level probably dropped by 50%...I've got the "short timers" attitude about work....the retirement fund is closely monitored...and the countdown has begun (I hope to retire at 62).

My dad is 78 now...and has many ailments including a bad heart. I'm actually expecting the same since my grandfather had heart issues as well. Also in my family seems to run bladder cancer so that's another thing I'm expecting.

But...in the meantime...I want to retire at 62 so I can enjoy some of my later years while I still have my health and what's left of my energy. I love DIY stuff...making BP, lead alloys, casting, shooting...and when the season comes in....I love to deer hunt.

I also thought Fly was in his late 40s early 50s...like indian joe stated...its the way he writes.

I appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge...as a DIY kinda guy...your guidance is much appreciated to make the final product better and more enjoyable.

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Funny hearing you say you noted your energy drop off 50%. That reminds me of a guy I worked with for many years. He was
    much older than me at the time. I was about 40 years old then. He said wait till your 45 or 50 years old. One day you will look
    in the mirror & realize each day you look a day older. Hummmmmmmmmmmm, Ha, Ha.

Fly

Yeah...I see that now...I looked in the mirror about a year ago...It was the first time I saw my uncle staring back at me...he's 16-17 years my elder. Its interesting though...so many people tell me I don't look my age...I get the "nah...you're not old enough to be a grandpa" thing all the time. Ha...old enough or not...fact is I am. I'm not wishing I was young again...I'm actually enjoying the wisdom that comes with the age...but I do wish I had the energy, dexterity and stamina I had just 10-15 years ago.

redhawk

Runnin' outa' time

I feel like I'm a 17 yr old trapped in a 73 yr old body.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    If I knew you better I would give you my lecture about mental programming --- you are expecting heart problems and bladder cancer before age 80 !!! Quit doing that right now
    You are only at the halfway mark!!!
    Yes, Dear!

Actually, I appreciate your remarks. I know I shouldn't think this way but with so many issues that are passed down from generation to generation in my family, I have to be realistic about the probability. I have to plan accordingly so my wife isn't burdened if/when I would pass. I don't live my life in dread of such things at all.

I do hope to have a long life and I've seen many medical advancements in my lifetime so far. It will be interesting to see how much more there will be in the next 20+ years.

Ultimately, God is in control and when its time for my last breath...it can't be stopped. For me...I realize that His timing is perfect.

Until then...I'm gonna make the best of what I have. Hopefully, retire early and get to enjoy some of my many hobbies a bit more.

redhawk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Wow...you guys are old (yes...I'm kidding)

I'm just "getting there" at 55. But I have to say...I've noticed a huge change in the last 5 years...energy level probably dropped by 50%...I've got the "short timers" attitude about work....the retirement fund is closely monitored...and the countdown has begun (I hope to retire at 62).

My dad is 78 now...and has many ailments including a bad heart. I'm actually expecting the same since my grandfather had heart issues as well. Also in my family seems to run bladder cancer so that's another thing I'm expecting.

But...in the meantime...I want to retire at 62 so I can enjoy some of my later years while I still have my health and what's left of my energy. I love DIY stuff...making BP, lead alloys, casting, shooting...and when the season comes in....I love to deer hunt.

I also thought Fly was in his late 40s early 50s...like indian joe stated...its the way he writes.

I appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge...as a DIY kinda guy...your guidance is much appreciated to make the final product better and more enjoyable.

redhawk
    When I turned 50 I was running 4 miles a day, guiding hunters out in NM in the fall and still jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. The stint between 50 and 60 saw a big drop in all of those activities. That was probably the biggest change in life style of my entire life.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    If I knew you better I would give you my lecture about mental programming --- you are expecting heart problems and bladder cancer before age 80 !!! Quit doing that right now
    You are only at the halfway mark!!!

Redhawk, I will say it straight out. Go to the Urologist and get checked with the little camera/light inside the bladder and make it a routine thing to do as the Urologist will direct. Mine was a routine visit and he said let's take a look. He found a little disc with a stem on it near the opening to the urethra. Treatment began at 75. At 80 bladder/prostate removed . Still kickin and enjoying life. Not a lot of testoserone before surgery and very little now. It will pay dividends to follow this procedure instead of just waiting and getting old until one day begin to pee blood. Then it is more difficult to treat. Look on the bright side, you may not have either, heart or bladder trouble at all! Quote"A positive attitude bringeth forth healthyer times."( Quote by me ) LOL

Boolit Master
    Oh lord what have I started? Ever note that when you get a bunch of ole hoots as us together it (always) turns into medical issues.

Fly

Hahaha...just a bit off topic are we?

We could always bring it back on topic by asking the question Could BP be a cure for cancer.....nah...let's not go there.

redhawk

Boolit Master
    Redhawk0 said "We could always bring it back on topic by asking the question Could BP be a cure for cancer" Don't know about that but it can be a cure for stupidity which we all could benefit from. Most of what's wrong with me was self inflected one way or another so I don't complain too much about my aches and pains. It was fun getting them at the time

Page 109 of 401 FirstFirst ... 95999100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119159209 ... LastLast