Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    I am wondering if an old Wooden Rolling Pin with Brass Spikes drilled into it might work.
    I can probably pick up an old rolling pin at the second hand store for next to nothing or at a yard sale.
    Things like wooden cooking tools are hard to sell because people are afraid of previous contamination.
    If using it Manually works, breaking up the pucks in a shallow wooden box, then it can be a start to making an electric driven one with two rollers like a rock crushing roller set up used in mining.

Heck,
    You could make a larger wooden wheel with brass spikes like the Dutch Wind Mills use or the old Roman Flour mills used.
    They were just driven in a circle either by wind power or by horses and even people.

Now you have my mind workin' overtime thinking of a design, something like a Old Washing machine Wringer made out of two rolling pins with brass spikes.
    The two rollers would be mounted horizontally with a space about 1/2" apart with the spikes just touching the other rolling pin.
    I think all you would need is a crank on one of the rollers and the other just freewheels
    Or you can have them both driven with two Gears and a Idler gear to reverse the rotation on the second roller so they both rotate to feed the material down between the rollers.
    Last edited by LAGS; 03-29-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    I just told my wife what I was going to do.
    She gave me one of her wooden Rolling pins to use for my project.
    I will get to it as soon as I get moved into the new house

USMC 77, USRA 79

I can’t wait to see this Frankenstein!!!!! It will look like some medieval torture device!!! Lol

Bet it would work slicker then fish guts on a door knob though..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    My wife says I am not McGyver.
    She says that I am the guy McGyver wants to be

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    My wife says I am not McGyver.
    She says that I am the guy McGyver wants to be
    Ha! Now that, I like! (And it sounds like ME!)

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    # I thought (briefly) about motor drive for the grinder but really after using it set up on a frame (my setup is not as sexy as Hotfxr's but is at least as well supported - or moreso - no wheels on my very heavy bench) I think manually cranked is probably better for our purposes
    I have to agree with you on that point. My problem is I am short on space so all my tools are on wheels to move them in and out. When I get back to it I will change the legs and casters to heavier duty ones. Who knows, eventually I might be able to attach it permanently on a work bench which would be much more stable.
    Since I wrap my pucks in a couple of layers of butcher paper and let them season, I break them up while they are still wrapped. On Amazon I bought a heavy meat tenderizer with spikes and just beat them with it on a piece of wood. Then cut the paper off and pour the chunks into the grinder. It also keeps chunks from flying around the room.
    Last edited by Hotfxr; 04-01-2019 at 12:48 AM.
    I am the one your mom warned you about!

Boolit Master
    We are all short of space & time ( Rod Sterrling, Twilight Zone)

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    We are all short of space & time ( Rod Sterrling, Twilight Zone) Fly

Looks like you shocked everybody into silence for the last two weeks.

Boolit Master
    @ indian joe
    It sounds like you are on a Roll.
    Good luck on your project.
    I am glad I had a hand in the Idea, but wish I had the time and materials to work on one for myself and share ideas.

Boolit Master
    If it works, Get a patent on it.
    You will be Rich in no time.

Boolit Master
    You see what you started Lags, Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (Wink)

Fly

Boolit Master
    The wringers are even scarcer out here in the desert.
    Back in those days, they didn't have Water to wash the clothes, so who needs a wringer in our heat, we just hung things up to dry.

Boolit Master
    How did you wash your clothes with out water. It sounds like you hung them out to dry off the swett.

Fly

Boolit Master
    That is why I waited till they had running water in Arizona ,before I moved here from California.
    I even had a hand in installing 54" water lines in Phoenix as part of my construction job. LOL
    Hay, we even have Indoor plumbing now.
    But to tell you the truth, I have Never seen a Wringer washing machine since I have been in Arizona at Swap meets, yard Sales, or scrap yards.
    I guess they never existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    How did you wash your clothes with out water. It sounds like you hung them out to dry off the swett.

Fly
    New type of dry clean apparently
    Haha

Boolit Master
    @ Indian Joe.
    If you get a chance, could you post pictures of what you are starting with.
    With our help, we could come up with suggestions on what you should try to make your project go smoother.
    or if possible, inspire us to follow in your footsteps, ( before you get the patent..) LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I am wondering if an old Wooden Rolling Pin with Brass Spikes drilled into it might work.
    I can probably pick up an old rolling pin at the second hand store for next to nothing or at a yard sale.
    Things like wooden cooking tools are hard to sell because people are afraid of previous contamination.
    If using it Manually works, breaking up the pucks in a shallow wooden box, then it can be a start to making an electric driven one with two rollers like a rock crushing roller set up used in mining.

Heck,
    You could make a larger wooden wheel with brass spikes like the Dutch Wind Mills use or the old Roman Flour mills used.
    They were just driven in a circle either by wind power or by horses and even people.

Now you have my mind workin' overtime thinking of a design, something like a Old Washing machine Wringer made out of two rolling pins with brass spikes.
    The two rollers would be mounted horizontally with a space about 1/2" apart with the spikes just touching the other rolling pin.
    I think all you would need is a crank on one of the rollers and the other just freewheels
    Or you can have them both driven with two Gears and a Idler gear to reverse the rotation on the second roller so they both rotate to feed the material down between the rollers.
    It will be interesting to see one of these rollerpulverizerpowderbriquetcrusher machines built. Wish I had the time and energy to work on one.

You're right; I don't remember ever seeing a roller washer machine in Arizona either.

But you don't need an "idler" gear. Just one roller geared direct to the other makes them roll correctly to self feed.

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    I can see that the price on an antique Wringer washing machine Just Jumped up.
    If you cant use them for what they were designed for, then adapt them to do what you want.
    That is why I always say,
    I am not a Gunsmith.
    I am a Firearms Recycler.

Boolit Buddy
    The biggest problem I have had breaking up pucks is the large amount of chunks that try and indeed do escape all around the shop. Making an effective hopper that contains flying chucks of hardened flammable projectiles would be my main concern. Of course given the small amount of powder I mix up, I could get away with about i/3 of a set of rollers. making a hopper reminiscent of an old style sidewalk mailbox might do the trick. Hmmm, time to go looking for garage sales.

Boolit Master

mortar and pestle, with your hand over the top to prevent strays. Or nippers in a bag. They only need to be small enough for the grinder to bite.

Page 128 of 410 FirstFirst ... 2878118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138178228 ... LastLast