MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
PBcastco Lee Precision
Page 1 of 401 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Buddy

My homemade black powder

Used my homemade black powder in my TC black diamond express today with some boolits sent to me by someone on the site. The powder performed really well with both 450gr .505 and .245gr power belts. The recoil was a little lighter than commercial powder but it had a nice crack to it. Much less smoke than other powers that I have used with still a very satisfiying smell.
    Mike

Thats great! would you give out your recipie and process? I am interested in also making Black Powder.
    Giving money and power to Government, is like giving Whiskey and Car Keys to teenage boys!!!!

REMEMBER,,, Boys and Girls,,, An EMPTY gun is just an ugly club!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice, always like to hear people doing stuff that is not usually considered the norm. Any info on your BP would be great.

Matt

Boolit Grand Master

There are some posting on Youtube that show how to make BP.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, there are many recipes for bp out there and I've even seen a few on this site. When I'm back from out of town I will post a write up. It's pretty easy.
    Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Personal experience is everything. I look forward to your writeup.

Matt

Boolit Buddy
    Yes,
    That is really getting cool with the authentic home made BP.
    I'll be looking for the post about how you did it.

Boolit Master
    I am also looking forward to the write up. thanks in advance for sharing the recipie and procedure.

Boolit Buddy

Next week

Sorry for the delay guys, gonna be next week before I get to it. I did measure out the amounts and get everything out, just have to have an evening to do it.
    Mike

Boolit Master
    Next thing you know we'll be adding a "missing fingers and eyes" forum to this web site. I will grant you that most of the guys here seem to be pretty responsible folks who experiment with care and caution and who I trust to do it safely, but there are a few I've noticed who seem ready to go off half-cocked and it is those folks I worry about whenever recipes and techniques for doing this turn up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Weighing the risks against the advantages, I'll just buy what I need.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the laugh this morning Gnoahhh!!!! Better than a third cup of coffee.

Me too, but I still want to know what you use and how the process works.
    23 rd. Vice President of Old Farts International

Boolit Master

Question Half-cocked?

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Next thing you know we'll be adding a "missing fingers and eyes" forum to this web site. I will grant you that most of the guys here seem to be pretty responsible folks who experiment with care and caution and who I trust to do it safely, but there are a few I've noticed who seem ready to go off half-cocked and it is those folks I worry about whenever recipes and techniques for doing this turn up.
    Well, alll you can do is tell them the dangers/emphasize the hazards- then step back. As they say, "I am not my brothers keeper." Everyone has to learn- some take harder lessons than others; to each his own.
    We have enough libs out there that haven't heard that phrase apparently, and think in similar ways- "We want to protect you from yourself."

More people should know how to do it- that might be a saving grace sometime in the near future, you can never tell.
    More "powder" to you, atom73!
    Pun intended.
    Last edited by Charlie Sometimes; 01-20-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of times just because I am interested in something doesn't mean I am ever going to do it myself. I have asked questions on forums about supposedly "controversial" things and got page after page of people telling me not to do it and how stupid I am etc etc, when in reality all I wanted to do was have a discussion about it and determine if there was a safe way to do it. I am a grown boy, I can determine whether or not something is safe to do and if I am wrong, it was no one's fault but my own for being stupid enough to try it. Besides, it would be a cold day in you know where when I would use homemade powder in a gun that I was holding, (at least for the first shot)

Matt

Boolit Bub
    Could not agree more Matt! After all trial and error is how we got what we got... or don't.

Cody

Boolit Master

As a snotty nosed pre-teen kid I not only made my own BP, but managed to ignite some sewer gas with a home made bomb. It caused some aggravation for my neighborhood and a certain portion of my anatomy when the old man found out. Those damned little birdies again.
    Point is that I was making BP when I REALLY didn't have a clue and survived it. With what I already know and some good ideas I think I can make it safely without a surrogate conscience telling me I am dumba$$.
    I would like to make some BP, just to see what it would do. Do I want to use it in competition, he!! no, but it would be nice to know if it would put meat on the table in a pinch. It is that genetic thing in me that made me tear all of my toys apart to see how they worked. I do have a PHD from the School of Hard Knocks so I am qualified. Or so the old man told me (God rest his Soul).

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, at my age, I can't afford to loose anything. I've lost too much already.
    As for being prepared, I've got enough supplies stocked up to outlast me.

In Remembrance
    I too would like to learn how to make it. The knowledge can't hurt.

Most people on this forum gets satisfaction out of casting and, or reloading.
    There are many that gets a lot of satisfaction from harvesting animals from their own product. This could be one more step, the last step yo build your own if it turned out to be consistant enough.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone trying to make their own black powder will have a hard time convincing me that they can make a satisfactory product by just mixing the moist ingredients together and granulating by pushing it through a coffee strainer. Real black powder is made by milling the moist ingredients in edge runner incorporating mills. A 50 pound batch is placed in the mill, the two circular runner wheels weigh from 3 to 4 tons each, and are from 4 to 7 feet in diameter. At 8 rpm, it requires 3 1/2 hours of incorporating to produce cannon grade powder. Small arms (dogwood) powder requires 5 1/2 hours of incorporation. The "soft cake" must next be converted to "hard cake" by being pressed between copper plates under hydraulic pressure. Then there is "granulation", "grading", "glazing", and "Drying". In the past many factories blew up, and they still do. John

Page 1 of 401 123456789101151101 ... LastLast