WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    Can anyone verify what kind of Willow tree I posted??

Thanks!
    Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Well, I bought a Dutch oven to make charcoal, and a thermometer for it. The best deal on Dutch ovens is Walmart at less than 18 bucks. They also have a barbecue thermometer cheap that only requires drlling a small hole in the lid and bolting it on. I have two 1/4" pipe plugs that I will also install in the lid for venting, then capping.

Now to hit the second hand shops and try to score a meat grinder to grind up the CC.

Got my chemicals from Duda. It's coming together, bit by bit.... Unfortunately my turkey fryer that I will use for cooking the charcoal, and my press, are in storage 7 hours from here, and I won't be headed that way till around Christmas. :»(

I might just get impatient and do some BP up in a more primitive manner just for fun!

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    To cook my charcoal I use a gallon paint can with a small hole in the top. When the smoke starts to lighten up I slide a screw in. Lets smoke out and keeps air out. Seemed the easy and cheap way to go.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    To cook my charcoal I use a gallon paint can with a small hole in the top. When the smoke starts to lighten up I slide a screw in. Lets smoke out and keeps air out. Seemed the easy and cheap way to go.
    swamp
    I do the same except just turn the paint can upside down. I have about 3 holes drilled in top.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Well, I bought a Dutch oven to make charcoal, and a thermometer for it. The best deal on Dutch ovens is Walmart at less than 18 bucks. They also have a barbecue thermometer cheap that only requires drlling a small hole in the lid and bolting it on. I have two 1/4" pipe plugs that I will also install in the lid for venting, then capping.

Now to hit the second hand shops and try to score a meat grinder to grind up the CC.

Got my chemicals from Duda. It's coming together, bit by bit.... Unfortunately my turkey fryer that I will use for cooking the charcoal, and my press, are in storage 7 hours from here, and I won't be headed that way till around Christmas. :»(

I might just get impatient and do some BP up in a more primitive manner just for fun!

Vettepilot
    A coffee grinder works pretty good once you get the charcoal broken down small enough. Makes for a really fine powder.

I use a "Grandma's Killer Fruit Cake " tin w/ 3/16" hole in the top laid on any fire upside down. As the smoke comes out it ignites and provides some more heat . When the fire goes out coming out of the tin, you should have charcoal with no brownish pieces.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    I use a "Grandma's Killer Fruit Cake " tin w/ 3/16" hole in the top laid on any fire upside down. As the smoke comes out it ignites and provides some more heat . When the fire goes out coming out of the tin, you should have charcoal with no brownish pieces.
    Gonna try that.

Boolit Master
    I have a little Harbor Freight tumbler for cleaning brass cases that I might use for some of the first small test batches. But I am gathering the pieces to build a decent sized tumbler. For media, I bought some 1/2" copper tubing which I will cut and cast wheel weight lead into. (I have the lead already.)

Now, do I have this straight on grain size?? I screen my granules through a 16 mesh screen, and then screen what passes THAT on a 30 mesh screen. What STAYS ON the 30 screen is my 2fg powder. Do I have that right?

Thanks a bunch for the verification on my Black Willow score. Everything I was able to research indicated that is what it is as well.

Thanks again!
    Vettepilot

Boolit Master

I use a 20 and 30 mesh screen. What stays on the 20 I call 2F and on the 30, 3F. I actually use a 16 mesh as well but that goes back in the grinder and what passes the 30 is re-corned. Not sure that the size is actually appropriate with commercial but works for me.
    I have found with my powder that 3F has given me the best accuracy in my cartridge guns.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    If you are planning to make screened powder don't forget to add about 2% dextrin by weight to the mix. I have always added it at the beginning with all the other components to get it mixed in properly.
    For screening I'm using a piece of #8 mesh which gives mainly 2F along with some 1F, anything that goes through window screen gets reprocessed just to keep the powder consistent.
    Vettepilot, the picture of the willow you posted isn't Carolina Willow, the bark is different. Sounds like you are getting your ducks in a row, have fun.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm, now which is Carolina Willow? The bark I have appears to be the same as shown on the web for Black Willow. (Salix Nigra)

Anyway, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this screen thing. So pushing the dough through an 8 mesh screen, (some say use 1/4" or a 4 mesh), makes 20 to 30 mesh size granules? How does that work; do the granules shrink when drying?

I will eventually be corning, but for in the meantime I've picked up Acacia Gum and Red Gum to play with in screening. I can't make Dextrin here, (the cook would kill me). I looked for the Equate Laxative at Walmart, but every variation of Equate Laxative they had said chemicals other than Dextrin. ???

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    You don't know my cook! The kitchen is more sacred ground than a church!!!

It will take me a bit to get all set up, especially with the holidays coming and all, but it is going to be fun and interesting. Once I get interested/involved in something, I really jump in with both feet and go for it. But I'm a disabled old fart and certainly don't get things done as fast as I used to, even just a few short years ago.

So yes, water for activating/dissolving Dextrin, Acacia Gum, and SGRS, and alcohol for the Red Gum. (I ended up getting the Red Gum cheapest, shipped to me from England ironically.) Shipping costs have just gone nuts, and I just will not pay 15$+ shipping for a one pound, 5 dollar item. (I ran into that sort of thing a LOT.)

While shopping for Dextrin today, I ran across SGRS. My research indicates it makes much more durable grains even when used at a lower ratio by half compaired to Dextrin, so I ordered that.

This all is going to be great. I have pondered it and informally studied it for a year, but was hesitant to do it and actually shoot the stuff due to pressure spike concerns. And I like fireworks but anything that flies or explodes is illegal in Arizona so that aspect of it is a no go. (Land of the "Free" don't ya know....) But this forum has given me the confidence to go for it for use in my guns.

So, way off topic, but where in the heck can I get pure Mutton Tallow to make lube for my BP shooting? The only place I found now after much searching that sells in pounds instead of a super expensive silly one ounce container, has a 75$ minimum order.... :»(

Vettepilot

So, way off topic, but where in the heck can I get pure Mutton Tallow to make lube for my BP shooting? The only place I found now after much searching that sells in pounds instead of a super expensive silly one ounce container, has a 75$ minimum order.... :»(

Vettepilot
    Dixie Gun Works.

Hey Mr. Vettepilot, I would think that the Indians that owns sheep in Arizona could supply you with mutton fat. Another would be deer fat that is stored near the tail on top of the back,but it might be harder than you need.

Boolit Master
    Well, it at appears Dixie no longer carries it. There may be shepards in Arizona, but I've been all over the state and never noticed one. I guess the cattlemen ran them all off!

Past mutton sources are telling me they are looking to India where more sheep are consumed, searching for new sources.

Still trying to get the screen size sorted. It seems most commonly stated that what passes a 16 screen and is held on a 30, is ffg. Comments?

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Man, there must be somewhere special in cyberspace where all those things go that you type up and then they just suddenly disappear. I hate it when that happens! Grrr...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write, and thanks for the great info. I really appreciate it. My shooting will mostly be muzzleloader, though we had a bunch of fun on our little vacation shooting some black powder shotshells I loaded up, so there's going to be more of that happening! Down the road, I might get a black powder pistol, and or play with loading up some bp rounds for my .44 mag pistol. In either of those cases, I would corn the powder for sure.

Good point about the screen wire size; I had been pondering just that thing the other day. I grabbed a rectangular barbeque basket at Wally World this week. It is 5 mesh, and appears as though it will be real handy for "ricing" the powder dough through. Only 7 bucks. It's got three little support bars across the bottom that I'm just going to wack off.

Wow!! Those are terrific chrono results! Congrats! 10 fps extreme deviation; that's incredible! I bet you were/are a happy camper!

Hey, a little "insider" tip for ya. I don't know if you care for BP subs, but Alliant's Black MZ is a pretty good one. Seems quite powerful and clean. Alliant has quit making it, but Sportsmans Warehouse has it for only 10$ a pound. I hadn't been telling people so I could stock up before it runs out, but I wanted to let you guys in on it in case you're interested.

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 10-27-2018 at 04:03 AM.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=indian joe;4486912]

This all is going to be great. I have pondered it and informally studied it for a year, but was hesitant to do it and actually shoot the stuff due to pressure spike concerns. But this forum has given me the confidence to go for it for use in my guns.

Chronograph test this morning - as good as anything off the shelf! Rifle was NOT cleaned between shots !
    45/75 uberti model 1876 -------466 grain CBE boolit over 72 grains CTGno 2 (FFg) corned (pressed pucks)
    1238, 1242, 1245, 1247, 1248 FPS ---Ave 1244FPS Extreme Spread = 10FPS group shot = just under inch and a half @ 125 yards
    I typically throw out the first shot from a clean barrel for velocity and group size. In a normal match that shot is always high.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Yeah. If that first shot was a fouling shot, then really, Extreme Spread drops to 6! And excellent accuracy as well.

"Nice shootin' Tex" ;»)

How long did the barrel cool between shots?

I hope my powder turns out that consistent....

vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Bought a H F 20 ton press today on sale.
    Saved $45.00 so why not give it a try.
    I have home made dies that I have been using in my Vise, but I may want to invest in a couple of ones made specifically for pressing the powder.

Boolit Master
    @ Indian Joe
    Your PVC dies is exactly what I am using in my Vise.
    I have a piece of schedule 40 pipe inside a section of PVC Coupling to double the wall thickness.
    For the spacers and discs I use pieces of High impact plastic Shims we use for standing Tilt Panel Concrete walls on at work.
    I got the press put together, but have to grind all the components to make another batch of powder.
    I used up the last or all the ball milled components making a batch of Screened powder yesterday.

Page 113 of 403 FirstFirst ... 1363103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123163213 ... LastLast