Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Annealing Jackets

Boolit Master

The pan doesn't glow, but to get a feel for now long it would take with your setup, fill it full of 22LR jackets that need to be annealed. After 15 minutes take one out, drop it in water to quench it, then see if you can pinch it in your fingers. If you can do this, then you are good to go.

When I bond my core and anneal at the same time, I give the pot a few extra minutes as your now heating the extra lead as well. I fill the whole bottom with one even layer. In my Dutch oven, which isn't that big, I can get a couple hundred 9mm cases and about 150 40's.

The best way would be like Grumpa does it, is to get a skillet with a lid. More surface area, less height to heat.

Sunday I did over 700 core bonded 9mm cases in about an hour and a half. Just make to let the lead cool enough before dumping the brass on the concrete. You only make that mistake once......
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

I already have an 8 or 9 inch skillet. Don't have a lid but can use a cookie sheet with a weight on it. I am looking to do the 40's so I will have to see how it works after I get a few trimmed up.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    I'm using a propane turkey fryer for the heat. 15 minutes on high and the pot is above 800. Good or me.
    This is all incredible. When I started in the 80's Corbin told me to use a toaster oven on broil. I had to place all the shells on the tray not touching each other rim down and broil for 20 min. Took forever to align them. Any laying down or touching each other didn't get annealed. Didn't have a self cleaning oven at the time.

As for the cast iron skillet. Would a gas grill work? Would I just fill the skillet with as many shells as it will hold, put the lid on and close the grill for 15 min? My grill's temp gauge only reads low, med & high.

Thanks
    Last edited by 30yrcaster; 04-09-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Boolit Master

Still waiting for info on the Lyman 45 gas check seater. Do you still have it in the works?
    Thanks for your time:
    Lead47/s3
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Annealing pots and citric acid tag.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    A note on annealing 22lr jackets. I have an old 4# Lee pot I got in a garage sale, never figured out what to do with it. It makes a perfect kiln for doing 100+ jackets @ a time. DUmp them in, crank it to #6, cover w/ heavy tin foil or a ceramic tile & stir once after 5m. Let them go another 5 & turn it off. They come out quite soft & ready for ss pin cleaning & when BT gets me the rest of the dies, I'll be makin bullets.
    Speaking of SS pin tumbling...I tried 2 different methods...1 was with ss pins in water, some dawn and a touch of lemon bright powder. The second was in the "vibrator" with water, a little dawn and a touch of lemon bright. The pins did a fabulous job! Not really on the outside but definitely on the inside! I put a q-tip in 5 or 6 and that was it. Nothing was coming out...no dirt, no grime, nadda! The other way cleaned them up ok but the inside was still gunky and needed to be cleaned. QUESTION: other than a magnet, is there a better, faster method of getting ALL of the pins out of the brass?

Mischief,

Just use a rotary case media separator and run it with just enough water to cover the bottom of the cases. The pins will float off as you spin and settle at the bottom of the separator.

hotbrew
    Life is good, if you don't weaken...
    There is prudence in public knowledge of who can own guns, but there is danger in knowing who does own guns

Boolit Buddy
    rotary separator? I have a "dry" rotary separator that mounts to the top of a 5 gallon bucket. The 22 hulls fall through the cracks as it's apparently meant for 380's and larger. Do you have a pic of what you're talking about? Or a link?
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbrew View Post
    Mischief,

Just use a rotary case media separator and run it with just enough water to cover the bottom of the cases. The pins will float off as you spin and settle at the bottom of the separator.

hotbrew

Boolit Buddy
    Take a couple 22LR cases to the 99cent store and find a colander the cases won't fall through. I found slots instead of holes work best. Swirl or stir UNDER water and the pins will slide right out of the cases. Cheap and works.

Just a suggestion, A kids sand sifter from one of the dollar stores works real well. I have one that fits into the opening of my vibe tumbler with a lip that rest on the edge.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by -Mischief View Post
    rotary separator? I have a "dry" rotary separator that mounts to the top of a 5 gallon bucket. The 22 hulls fall through the cracks as it's apparently meant for 380's and larger. Do you have a pic of what you're talking about? Or a link?
    Mischief,

Yes a normal dry separator will work if it will hold water. I use the RCBS separator and put in enough water so that the cases and pins are partially submerged as they turn. This floats the pins off and lets them settle to the bottom of the separator. Without the water the pins seem to stick to the damp cases. For use with 22 hulls I use a nylon mesh bag that is normally used in the washing machine for delicate items IIRC that keeps the smaller hulls in place.

hotbrew
    Life is good, if you don't weaken...
    There is prudence in public knowledge of who can own guns, but there is danger in knowing who does own guns

Boolit Buddy
    I found a "salad spinner" that works. The inner strainer has slots the right size and the outer container holds water. $7 at the grocery store. There seem to be a number of options and you might find different things available when you go to the store. Put a .22 shell in your pocket and start cruzing!

Boolit Master

It's been mentioned a few times to use an empty lead pot for annealing and since I have quite a few derimmed cases prepped, I decided to try it. I have an old Lee 10 lb bottom pour pot and removed the valve rod and its actuator and cleaned out the pot. Dropped in a handful of cases (about 1/3 full), set the pot to high and covered with aluminum foil. I checked after a few minutes and the bottom of the pot was beginning to glow. I gave the cases a stir and recovered the pot. A couple minutes later and the cases were all glowing. I dumped them onto a cookie sheet to cool, and when they were safe to touch I checked for softness. I was able to easily squish a case with finger pressure, so this method appears to work well and quickly. My question is, do I risk actually melting the cases if I leave them in there too long? My apologies if this has been answered already but I couldn't find it.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    this is clever, anyone make something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Well I asked around about how to anneal and from what I read I thought I did not have anything to do it with handy. I was thinking a fire would be to much and end up with melted brass. Super post wish I sent it sooner. All that being said this is what I came up with I am still fine tuning it but it takes about 20 sec to turn one red.
    http://
    I think I will retire it and go with the SS basket and a fire looks alot easier and faster.

Boolit Buddy
    I read the majority of the 135 posts and never saw the answer to a question I have so if it's in there....sorry.
    As for derimming 22LR brass....anneal before derimming or after?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by -Mischief View Post
    I read the majority of the 135 posts and never saw the answer to a question I have so if it's in there....sorry.
    As for derimming 22LR brass....anneal before derimming or after?
    After

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Master
    After!
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Heres what I use for cleaning brass with out tumbling:
    1 cup vinegar
    juice from one lemon this is the citric acid
    1 tablespoon sea salt
    1 quart water
    This will work in about an hour, if not shiny enough, leave it in longer, works very well!

I forgot, add a tablespoon on dawn soap also...

Heres what I use for cleaning brass with out tumbling:
    1 cup vinegar
    juice from one lemon this is the citric acid
    1 tablespoon sea salt
    1 quart water
    1 tablespoon dawn
    This will work in about an hour, if not shiny enough, leave it in longer, works very well!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast