WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Carbine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    My pics always seem to post upside down! WHY!
    Well, you are a lefty. Everything else is backwards or you....

Vendor Sponsor

Lefty: Have you noticed that it just keeps getting better and better? Mine is one of the best shooting rifles I have ever owned !

Your groups are right in line with what I have seen with mine.

I did buy one of those Wheeler Engineering Bore Sighters, and bore sighted the Peep Sight on the XS rail, the Red Dot and the Scope at 50 yards. So far it appears that the scope mount will repeat so that will be a good thing. Haven't been up to put it on paper yet, but need to go soon to refine my bore sighted zeros. Once the 200 yard zero is re established all of the Elevation Offsets will be right back where they were originally.

I have been shooting my New Ruger Guide Gun in .30-06 caliber. It shoots very much like the Scout. So far it is right in the ball park with the Scout at <1" using the exact same load as the Scout. IE; 147FMJBT recycled bullet with 45 gr of IMR4895, but in an 06 case instead of the .308 case.

This one is going to see some way larger bullets as I intend to use it as my hunting rifle in Canada. Looking at a 150 gr hunting load, 180 gr and a 220 gr load as well. Probably use 4895 for the 150 gr loads and maybe 3031 for the heavy bullets.

Let us know how your's progresses.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Attachment 109468Attachment 109469
    Heres an update on my GSR. I removed the XS rail and replaced it with a Ken Farrell 20 MOA base and a set of his low height 30mm rings. I also installed and fitted a DPMS Miculek brake. Theres no locknut on mine and its indexed correctly.
    i took it out yesterday for the first time after bedding the rail and mounting the scope.
    Ive been doing some load development for somelong range play time and here what she is doing.
    Each 1" paster has four shots on it at 100yds. Im shooting a 175gr Sierra SMK over some IMR 4895.
    I am rather pleased. Its never shot this tight before.
    May I ask where you bought the Ken Farrell 20 MOA base? My wife wants one on her GSR.
    Thank you.
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Just buy from Ken or Brownells. Sure you need the 20*? Ken makes 10 and 15* too

Boolit Master

I bought/ordered it from Farrell industries. You will have to drill and tap the receiver and likely only be able to utilize three holes. The tapped hole Ruger gave us for the rear iron sight is too close to one of the holes in the base.
    I also had to bed my rail in order to get it to lay flat on the receiver.
    I chose the 20 MOA base because i plan to carry this rifle to 1,000yds and wanted to make sure i had plenty of elevation. You lose a good bit of velocity with these short barrels.
    So far my 1,000yd goal is well within reach. Myself and two maybe three friends are planning on attending a long range shooting school later this fall. Im trying to get ready early....
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    With that cinfiguration I wish you luck. I used to shoot 1000 yard and even if the rifle can do it the configuration is going to hurt you a lot. A good long range (over 500y) rifle has a heavier front end to counter ballance instead of muscling it around. It doesnt take much to throw off a round at 1000y. That magazine wont help much either, plus the bolt and trigger arent really designed for that.

I'd be happy with a fast point blank to 500y rifle outa that configuration.

I bought/ordered it from Farrell industries. You will have to drill and tap the receiver and likely only be able to utilize three holes. The tapped hole Ruger gave us for the rear iron sight is too close to one of the holes in the base.
    I chose the 20 MOA base because i plan to carry this rifle to 1,000yds and wanted to make sure i had plenty of elevation. You lose a good bit of velocity with these short barrels.
    So far my 1,000yd goal is well within reach. Myself and two maybe three friends are planning on attending a long range shooting school later this fall. Im trying to get ready early....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    With that cinfiguration I wish you luck. I used to shoot 1000 yard and even if the rifle can do it the configuration is going to hurt you a lot. A good long range (over 500y) rifle has a heavier front end to counter ballance instead of muscling it around. It doesnt take much to throw off a round at 1000y. That magazine wont help much either, plus the bolt and trigger arent really designed for that.

I'd be happy with a fast point blank to 500y rifle outa that configuration.
    Wow thank you so much for your lovely and oh so helpful input! I love proving people wrong when they tell me i cant do something!
    Can you be just a little more critical! I mean really, just knock my equipment into the ground.
    Honestly, i really dont appreciate it!

This isnt my first 1,000yd rodeo. I know what im up against.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I see a misunderstanding here, not an attack.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Well being I've seen AR's with 16 + inch barrels shoot 1000, I expect you'll be able to get them out there - one of the biggest challenges is conditions - mirage and wind can be killers at 1000.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I read Col. Cooper's method of operating the bolt while looking for something else and the light bulb went off. I was using the palm method prior to that. The frequency of bolt jam has gone down, but it does still occur occasionally when I don't get the motion exactly right. I'm working on it and I will get faster.
    On the return stroke, trying putting your thumb on the back end of the bolt and pushing with your index finger just touching the bolt knob. You might like the results better. The best magazine for the rifle is the steel five rounder also. There is a 5.5 power ACOG for the 7.62 that goes to 1400 also.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I see a misunderstanding here, not an attack.
    Most attacks are misunderstandings. Probably not the best post he made.
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 07-02-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Love Life
    I apologize if I missed it somewhere, but what bullet, powder, and scope will you be using? What brass?

Thank you and I look forward to your results taking this rifle out to 1,000 yds.

Boolit Master

Bullet is a 175gr SMK, IMR 4895, Remington brass that has been fire formed, trimmed, flash hole deburred, and weight sorted.
    The scope is a Weaver Tactical FFP 3-15x50 Mildot.
    Last edited by Lefty SRH; 07-07-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Love Life
    If you ever get a chance, try the Sierra 180 SMK over IMR4895 in Winchester brass. It's a pretty magical combination.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    If you ever get a chance, try the Sierra 180 SMK over IMR4895 in Winchester brass. It's a pretty magical combination.
    Will do, Whats magical about that combo? I dont even think ive seen 180 SMK stocked at my local supplier. Whats the BC?
    "In GOD We Trust"

Love Life
    Single digit SD and ES in 10 shot strings. I'll get you the powder lot number later.

Boolit Master
    Wow thank you so much for your lovely and oh so helpful input! I love proving people wrong when they tell me i cant do something!
    Can you be just a little more critical! I mean really, just knock my equipment into the ground.
    Honestly, i really dont appreciate it!

This isnt my first 1,000yd rodeo. I know what im up against.
    prove me wrong or send me an apology.

simple idea that this weapon is meant for reliability and fast function over accuracy. How many 1000y shooter do you know with a 16.5 standard weight barrel?

Love Life
    My shooting partner shoots a Tikka lite in 300 WINMAG to 1,000 yds and has a 60%-75% hit rate with it. You're more than welcome to come shoot with us some time.

This same person has also won 1st and 2nd place on the 1,000 yd F/TR with a stock howa with 20 inch barrel.

There are a lot of things people SAY can't be done, and then there are people who actually do them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    prove me wrong or send me an apology.

simple idea that this weapon is meant for reliability and fast function over accuracy. How many 1000y shooter do you know with a 16.5 standard weight barrel?
    I will not apologize for what i said!
    I know this rifle isnt a "precision" F/TR , bench rifle, or even a custom build!
    Its real simple, i want to see what I can do with this rifle and what the rifle is capable of doing at long range! I dont compete and dont plan on it. Its a personal challenge!
    "In GOD We Trust"

Love Life
    Lefty SRH, I still look forward to your results. My question is, where you gonna shoot to 1,000 yds in Alabama?

I remember there's one in Society Hill (about 20min. from Phoenix city), where the HardRock matches are held.

Here's a map I found
    http://rangelistings.com/state.php?state=AL

List of some over 500 yard ranges I found
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/ind...opic=3787129.0
    http://forum.snipershide.com/elr-bey...500-yards.html

Training range owned by K&M
    http://kmprecisionrifletraining.com/facility/
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."