Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Carbine

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I don't mind it, but I don't think it will do anything that the nicely Bubba'd SMLEs that I bought for $125 each. One has a scope and the other original sights. The 308 is a bit superior, but in reality, hard to tell which one is being used from either end.

It will probably do OK, Ruger don't seem to ever turn out things that don't sell. I can't imagine why you would want a survival type rifle like this when you can buy semi autos. They may sell well in Australia and other countries where the anti gunners have convinced the Gubba mint that semi autos are a device of the devil.

If I had more money than sense, I'd probably buy one to have a play with. Be a handy rifle and if it doesn't sell, probably a good colector.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I'll let ya'll know in a couple of weeks. I knew I shouldn't have handled that gun, it "felt right", came right up to point an snuggled up to my cheek. It was whispering to me so I put money down and now have to hustle to finish paying it off. Mags are well made but it only comes with one magazine (a ten rounder)and I wish Ruger had inclued a five rounder. Looking forward to trying my handloads and some cast boolit loads form it soon.
    It is time for the taxpayers in this country to impose term limits at the ballot box. Vote all encumbents out every election, no matter which party. It is time they remember who they work for and who pays the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    I LOVE Ruger firearms. I really love them, but that looks like doo doo.
    I like it. Reminds me of the old "Jungle" carbines.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

I'll have to handle one but like the concept, would be neat with M-16/AR15 mags in 223 as well or how about one in 300 blk/300whisper ;^).
    I myself prefer synthetic "plastic" stocks cause a good truck gun is going to get bounced around and not be a safe queen and they take some weight off.
    got a good review at http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Gunsite.htm

Neat concept - heck made up a mauser 7.62 with Wasr mags for myself -
    Last edited by Artful; 02-05-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Just watched an online video of the "Scout Rifle" in action.

All the guns had conventional or very nearly conventional scope locations, none
    were fwd of the action. LOL! Kinda threw the baby out with the bath water.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 02-11-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one for $739.

The problem with the #5 enfield is twofold. Heavy and also swapping magazines is not very fast (the mag release is awkward). The rimmed 303 cartridge is easier to charge by stripper clips (as long as these are loaded correctly). A third problem could be mounting the forward scout scope.

I have shot the no 4 mark 2 (outstanding gun) on the 40 round army qualifier (pop ups to 300 meters – designed for the M16) and once you run through the first 10 shots, I always charge the gun with 5 because you need to one keep you rifle in the fight, and two scan for pop ups. I always missed a target or two because of reloads, multiple targets, and time constraints but could still shoot expert. You have to work to get that score, but the course of fire isn't much of a challenge with a cmp bushmaster...

Interestingly enough, the 03A3 was slightly better even thou it had only a 5 round mag. Fire single shot (and reload) for most shots and switch to magazine fed for multiple targets.

Shooting the Appleseed’s AQT course of fire (designed for the 03) is a good test for a rifle and would be fun with the ruger. I also plan on using it in our clubs carbine shoots (slung, targets from 0-50 meters, multiple targets, etc). I will probably take it deer hunting next fall.

Now, this particular shooting isn’t for everyone, but I like it and Ruger’s scout looks very interesting and the rifle seems reasonably priced for what I am getting without having to do any further modifications.

Where in the world did everything have to make sense? Some things are just plain fun...

I plan to feed it a steady diet of Saeco 315.
    Last edited by LowPE; 03-25-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: bad grammar

Boolit Master
    They may sell well in Australia and other countries where the anti gunners have convinced the Gubba mint that semi autos are a device of the devil.
    Actually, Australia has had something like this for several years:

http://www.australianinternationalar...au/product.htm

We just can't seem to get them imported here. Last I heard, it had to do with parts being made in countries that aren't allowed to import, such as Vietnam and or Cambodia.
    Last edited by bowfin; 03-24-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added Image

Boolit Master
    Marstar in Canada has some of these SMLE 7.62's. Kinda neat, but extra magazines seem to be a problem. However these can be topped off with charger clips or single rounds. The Ruger GSR cannot be topped off just loaded from the magazine or single loaded without pulling the bolt all the way back. Pretty good discussions at www.scoutrifle.org

On Heaven's Range

Magazines on Lee Enfield rifles were intended to be removed ONLY for cleaning.

The magazine does not retain cartridges at all well when out of the rifle.

The rifles are intended for charger-loading, and that's the easiest way to reload them.

I was hoping to encounter a Ruger Scout at the Big Reno Show a few days ago, but no such luck. It does interest me.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

I don't care what y'all say I still want one and I think its purty.........................

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Tazman,

I have no problems with that rifle.

Ideally, one would have the Gunsite Ruger, the Steyr Scout, The Savage Scout, several of the AIA Enfield types, and the original 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer...

...just to have all of the bases covered...

Boolit Master

Good point! I already have the Savage which is why I want the Ruger. But the price my God man!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Like Bruce B said, the magazines were never designed to be removed and were actually rifle specific. I think that is a bit of local pride coming out saying the 03' was a faster gun to put down shots with. The Brit rifles were designed with high rate of fire as paramount. They were very smooth in the arc that the bolt took, no notchy movement involved. The rifle was a cock on closing one, which eased the opening, especially with a dirty and hot chamber and spread the work needed to be done over the two movements.

The FN-FAL which we called the SLR (small Army cringe, we always have to have our own name for any gun, although I think the Brits and Canuks called it that as well).

I remember a demonstration at the range in about 1962-63, the SMLE was still used by the Cadet Corp. All of the Army instructors provided were crusty old Korean vets. One guy had a FN-FAL and the two others had SMLEs. They kept a big old coffee can hopping around, hitting it as it hit the ground and keeping it hopping. There was no difference in the rate of fire with the three, the FN-FAL surged ahead momentarily while the SMLE shooters were reloading (which was ony a momentary pause), but about shot 13 the Fn-Fal guy had to adjust the gas port and the other guys started jeering and each took a shot at his can, until he got back into the action shortly after. All three rifle were smoking so much, I expected them to burst into flame, but they all managed to survive.

We were told that the point of the exercise was to prove that our bolt rifles were no slouch and with a well trained operator, we capable of putting lots of commies on the ground (We were less politically correct those days, I'm married to one now )

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Four Fingers: Actually, I like the Mark 4, Number 2 over the 03A3. For the reasons you point out.

All I was trying to say was that for the us army qualification test (that particular course of fire) I was able to score a little higher with the 03A3 -- but to do so I dumped loaded rounds in a pile on the ground....not something I would like to do in the field. The 03A3 simply had a neat mechanism: fire most shots single shot and when things get hot and hairy switch to magazine fed for a few rounds.

I was also trying to point out that the bolt guns can do quite nicely.

Boolit Buddy
    I like it but I'd have to get a cap on the end of the barrel because that flash hider is butt ugly! I have the Tikka Big Boar in 308, they don't import them anymore, and it's a great rifle. The only thing it lacks is the open sights.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh yah, I forgot that I had an enfield #4 that I was going to make into a truck gun. I really liked it but sold it because I was younger and needed the money for another project. I still kick myself for that one! It had a super nice smooth sliding action.

I was all hopped up to buy one of these 2 weeks ago, Until I found that nobody I deal with could get one, as it seems the first run is completely sold out. I saw several on GunBrokers but the price was way above what I am willing to pay.

The actual dealer cost is $652. the best price I've seen was $739 in an above post. And I am willing to give a dealer $100 so he can stay in business. But until another run shows up it will have to be on my wish list.

What I really want is a good M94 Swedish Mauser Carbine 6.5x55, that I can massage into the Utlmate Sheep gun. That is what I saw when I saw in the Ruger carbine for the first time. Only the Swedes beat Ruger to the punch by about 70 years.

I think they will sell everyone of these they make, and as fast as they can make them.

It took me exactly 5 seconds to say I want one. With a 2-8x Leupold mounted on the receiver, not scout style this would be a real good looking gun.Also the sling needs to be mounted on the left side of the rifle so it will lay flat on your back or that magazine will be a problem.

I also agree with the above posts talking 2 10 rnd mags and a 5 rnd mag.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by LowPE View Post
    Four Fingers: Actually, I like the Mark 4, Number 2 over the 03A3. For the reasons you point out.

All I was trying to say was that for the us army qualification test (that particular course of fire) I was able to score a little higher with the 03A3 -- but to do so I dumped loaded rounds in a pile on the ground....not something I would like to do in the field. The 03A3 simply had a neat mechanism: fire most shots single shot and when things get hot and hairy switch to magazine fed for a few rounds.

I was also trying to point out that the bolt guns can do quite nicely.
    Sorry, I misunderstood you. It sounds like you are saying the 03A3 has a mag cut off as did a lot of the early SMLEs. It was a great idea apparently, having troops firing single shot volleys under direction and when the Hun was at your door step, you switched over to mag feed and it was full. Unfortunately many Tommies were found dead with the mag cutoff still engaged and a full mag, because when the brown stuff hit the fan, they had panicked and forgotten to slide the cutoff aside. They were quickly removed. I have a SMLE and a P14 with these intact, along with volley sights, for and aft.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Just watched an online video of the "Scout Rifle" in action.

All the guns had conventional or very nearly conventional scope locations, none
    were fwd of the action. LOL! Kinda threw the baby out with the bath water.

Bill
    Aw Bill, you watched the wrong video!

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsit...le/extras.html

Boolit Buddy
    I like it a lot. Can't wait to actually see and handle one. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Without handling and shooting one, I can't really make any intellegent comments about it except for its appearance which I like very much. Kudos to Ruger for taking a chance on a new platform for them.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast