MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Carbine

Boolit Master
    The round plate was repainted after i shot thinking my buds would shoot it, but they didnt. The two blue marks show approximately where my two out of three hits were placed.
    I got lucky with the shot right on the edge of he mini me plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    Even at 600yds a 175gr SMK knocks the snot out of that mini me. Hahaha it has a great ring to it also.
    "In GOD We Trust"

I will tell you up front that your results at 850 will be the same.

You have got the trajectory nailed and it is fixed so all you have to do is dial in the elevation offset for 850 and let fly!

That is what is cool about shooting this way. There may be variations necessary to cope with wind and other external forces but, by and large, you dial in, and shoot, and this is true out to as far as the bullet will travel. You will always be close.

Great story Lefty!

I am hoping others will contribute to this thread concerning this type of shooting since it is what makes the Scout rifle really the versatile gun that it is.

Good from in your face to 1000 yards +.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-05-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I wish my buddys didnt have such a hard time at 600. I was really hopin to see her perform at 850 that day. But hey, they are good friends and needed my help. We will do 850 another time. They razzed me pretty good when we were done.
    Last edited by Lefty SRH; 08-05-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Buddy
    I have an extra Leupold FX-II Scout scope I will be listing in S&S if anyone is looking for a scope for their Gunsight Scout. I have one on mine already, and don't need the second one.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy

I just wanted to post that as of today I am a Ruger Gunsite Scout owner finally. Have wanted one since they came out and finally bought one today. My birthday was on the 17th so I guess this was a late B-day present to me! Have read alot about them and can't wait to shoot it.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    You guys do realize that Ruger has brought it out in 223/5.56 and it is available NOW in blue and stainless, RH & LH.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Para82 View Post
    I just wanted to post that as of today I am a Ruger Gunsite Scout owner finally. Have wanted one since they came out and finally bought one today. My birthday was on the 17th so I guess this was a late B-day present to me! Have read alot about them and can't wait to shoot it.

You're going to love it. I had to backorder mine, it came in the day after my birthday. That was about two years ago and I dont think I've spend much more than a day without fiddling with it for some reason or another. The bolt will fell rough for the cost of the thing, just dry fire the **** out of it and it smoothes right up. If the ring of the flash hider annoys you there are many easy replacements that get rid of the noise. They are super handy and accurate little carbines if you give them half a chance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    You guys do realize that Ruger has brought it out in 223/5.56 and it is available NOW in blue and stainless, RH & LH.
    I had read about the 223/5.56 issuance, but not in the four variant options you mention.

The Scout Rifle by Ruger is an interesting series, and its intro a few years ago definitely runs counter to the "niche marketing" model that has overtaken much of the commercial gun manufacturing effort in this country. These rifles are VERY useful over a wide span of field applications, and unlike most bolt rifles are ready to fire right from the box without accessorizing. That said, the Scouts can be outfitted with glassware readily--either conventionally or as described by the late Col. Cooper in his concept ideation. I'm dabbling around for another 223/5.56 rat strafer, and the Ruger Scout will be on the Short List for certain.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been through a few of these rifles recently in the shop, and at this point have had opportunity to shoot a few of them as well. Simply amazing. I have come to have a low opinion of Ruger rifles in the past, but I have to say these are fantastic!
    All of the ones I have shot (including a LH version) would do 1" at 100 yards, and if not, they would sure scare the heck out of it.

Having cracked the barrels off, and had a good honest look inside and out, reveals uncommonly good quality for a Ruger. Very straight. Very well done. The threads are very concentric and the shoulder is square enough to seat a suppressor on, as is (rather uncommon in most rifles threaded for a muzzle break).
    All in all, just a really great little rifle! I just can't find anything to complain about except the triggers could be improved (but they are very usable as is) and they don't make this rifle in 358Winchester like it wants to be so very very badly! LOL!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I've been through a few of these rifles recently in the shop, and at this point have had opportunity to shoot a few of them as well. Simply amazing. I have come to have a low opinion of Ruger rifles in the past, but I have to say these are fantastic!
    All of the ones I have shot (including a LH version) would do 1" at 100 yards, and if not, they would sure scare the heck out of it.

Having cracked the barrels off, and had a good honest look inside and out, reveals uncommonly good quality for a Ruger. Very straight. Very well done. The threads are very concentric and the shoulder is square enough to seat a suppressor on, as is (rather uncommon in most rifles threaded for a muzzle break).
    All in all, just a really great little rifle! I just can't find anything to complain about except the triggers could be improved (but they are very usable as is) and they don't make this rifle in 358Winchester like it wants to be so very very badly! LOL!

The trigger on mine took about three strokes of a jewelers file and very little stoning to smooth up. Since then I've done nothing but fire it and while it could be lighter for some applications for a utility carbine I am quite happy with mine. If that doesn't work or you want a lighter trigger check out Spec-Tech Industries. Cheaper than Timney and a real easy company to work with. I put one in a Ruger Frontier and it lost what little creep it had before and is adjustable to boot.

I was told about the .223 version at SHOT Earlier this year but was too busy trying to get a Guide Gun and paid little attention to what Mark was saying. At the time it was just a hint anyway. Good to see they finally got it in production. I will talk to them again next year (actually in a few months), and float the idea of a run of each of the .308 based rounds,,, IE .243, 260, 7mm08, .338 Federal, and .358 Win. Only a matter of producing the barrels and a run of a couple of hundred of each would certainly show where the interest was or not. I'm pretty sure all of them would sell as all of those calibers are pretty popular.

One thing the website didn't say about the .223 version was what kind of magazine it uses. P Mag AR style would be the correct choice.

This gun would be very well served with a simple Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot Optic and be done with it. It would be sweet for Three Gun Matches.

One other point,,,, this one really needs a .300 BLK version as well. Hope they thought of that?

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-03-2014 at 12:00 AM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Randy - you are going to cost me a lot of money if you keep this up!!!!!

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I will talk to them again next year (actually in a few months), and float the idea of a run of each of the .308 based rounds,,, IE .243, 260, 7mm08, .338 Federal, and .358 Win. Randy
    The 7mm08 and the 358 would be winners.

One thing the website didn't say about the .223 version was what kind of magazine it uses. P Mag AR style would be the correct choice. Randy
    Accurate-Mag 223 version.....center feed again with adequate fit this time.

One other point,,,, this one really needs a .300 BLK version as well. Hope they thought of that? Randy
    Suggest it.... it should be popular.

Boolit Master
    I have owned my Gunsite Scout Rifle for a couple of months now, and I really like most aspects of the rifle. Mine has been set up with a scope in the receiver mounts; I'm just too set in my ways. I have the shorter barrel. It took quite bit of shooting and experimenting with seating depth before the rifle would give reasonable accuracy; buying a Stoney Point tool proved invaluable here. This is the best I've been able to do:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2267.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	118202
    I realize that this is more than sufficient for hunting deer (rifle's primary purpose), but I feel that with my limited abilities I have reached the limit of what the rifle can deliver.

Funny that 45 2.1 should mention 7mm-08; I have a new 7mm barrel blank sitting around and an 18 inch barrel in 7-08, with the last 2 inches ported, is a very tempting proposition. I would open the barrel channel for a slightly larger profile; the rifle is not sufficiently front heavy for my tastes.

So far I've gotten lousy results with cast, I'm concentrating on shooting jacketed loads right now but will try more cast loads.

Bjornb: Try 45.0 gr of IMR4895 with recycled/pulled 147 gr FMJBT's. nothing magic about this load. My gun has about 800 of these thru it and consistently delivers 7/8" groups at 100 yards. In fact that is using the same 100 rounds of American Eagle brass that I bought loaded for 10.95 a box at a gun show when I first got the gun. No need to diddle with COAL, just roll crimp in the cannelure. The bullets are available from several sources from time to time, and I buy 1000 at a time. Top Brass, and GI brass being good sources.

For cast loads I would suggest Lyman 311299 with 21 gr of 5744. Roll Crimped in the top groove. Should be under 2" easily.

These loads have worked for me and the pics used to be in this thread somewhere, however I post a lot of pics on this site and have to drop ones from older posts about two or three times a year.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-04-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Randy,
    I'll try exactly what you're prescribing and report back.

BTW why do you crimp? Just curious, I have never crimped rifle ammo unless it was being fed from a tube magazine.

Boolit Buddy

Well got to shoot my GSR today with some 150gr Core-Lokt Remingtons. Six rounds from the bench at 25yd with the factory open sights were in a cluster and all touching. I think I will shoot it some more with the factory sights before scoping it. Also have a TRS-25 Bushnell that may go on it. Was also sighting in a Remington 700 SPS in 300BLK Out and range was crowded or I would have fired more though it. Really like the Ruger and Remington so far.

BjornB: that load should work with just about any 150gr ish bullet.

The reason why I crimp is to hold bullets in place when being cycled thru a magazine and prevent them from being pushed back into the case by recoil.

Another point to consider is that,,, Every Single Factory loaded round made is crimped.

There must be a good reason for this.

I typically use a second bullet seating die with the seating stem removed to crimp. I load on two different multi-station loaders. A C&H 444 and a PW MetalMatic II, so the extra step is not a big deal and I just feel it is a good thing to do.

When I load .223-5.56's on my Dillon 550B I crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the 4th station as it is not affected by small changes in case length. Since this is a progressive press there is no extra step as every pull of the handle yields a loaded round.

Those rounds are seldom loaded more than once anyway as they are fired in semi autos which pitch them willy nilly and I'm too lazy to hunt them down.

Those guns do place a significant amount of stress on loaded rounds as they are fed into the chamber and it is wise to crimp those bullets in place for obvious reasons.

Para82: The Dot sight is Sofa King cool for shooting fast You'll love it. You'll have to train yourself to pull the trigger as soon as the dot is on target, which takes a little getting used to. It took me a few rounds to get the idea that once the dot came to bare there was no need to study the sights any longer.

It becomes,,, Dot on target, bang... Not Dot on target,,,,, bang.

The trigger for your firing impulse is generated by the dots position on the target, not by you making a conscious thought to pull the trigger, or anything else. The sight picture is what generates the impulse. Once you have the sight picture firmly implanted it will blow you away just how fast you can shoot.

Then you'll have to work on your action cycling speed as this is no autoloader.

As soon as that round is flying you need to be running the bolt! Not watching where the bullet went. If the dot was on target,,, then you hit it,,, and need to be finding the next target.

This stuff is just too much fun!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-06-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Randy,
    Thanks for the insight about using the red dot. As well as this rifle was shooting right out of the box with Wal Mart factory ammo it might be a while before any optics go on it. I like shooting iron sights and will probable use this rifle for some deer hunting soon and see how it works.
    Para82

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast