Ruger Gunsite Carbine

Anyone seen one in the flesh?
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

This is as close as I've been to one...

MSRP it bites the hind legs off a $K.
    Last edited by lcclower; 01-14-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: corrected code for image

Boolit Grand Master
    Bruce has a great idea on the magazine.
    Last edited by Ben; 01-14-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Boolit Master

It reminds me a bit of the CZ 527s with the extended magazines most people find ugly.

Boolit Master
    Looks like the love child of a SOCOM Scout and a mauser military action.

On Heaven's Range

I like it!

Just what I need....ANOTHER .308 "service rifle"....

I believe Ruger was right in using the Accuracy International magazine. They are expensive, but it's a proven and consistent high-quality magazine.

The term "M-14 magazine" covers everything from great mil-spec mags to some of the worst so-called "magazines" I have ever seen. Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, as well as domestically-made junk....I would NOT want to bet the success of a new rifle design on the horrendously-varied "quality" of random M-14 TYPE mags. We won't need many mags for a bolt-action rifle, and I think having a five-rounder for carry with one or two ten-rounders as back-up would be sufficient.

I have to confess that on first glance at the specs on this rifle, I thought "Jungle Carbine"! On reflection, I want one of these, but I ALSO still want the #5 Enfield. Toys for men.....
    Last edited by BruceB; 01-14-2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

bhn22
    I'm not impressed with the execution. The stock is pretty, but it also heavy, and the rifles heavy enough by itself. The flash hider is pure Mini-14 cheapness, and the trigger guard is plastic. It could be much more desirable with a decent synthetic stock, the barrel tapped for a screw-on flash hider or muzzle brake, and some sort of metal triggerguard to hold the mags in place. And since I'm complaining, they need to trim a couple of hundred dollars from the price.

Now, would somebody please help me down from this here soapbox?

On Heaven's Range

" The flash hider is pure Mini-14 cheapness, , the barrel tapped for a screw-on flash hider or muzzle brake, "

The flash-hider does indeed appear to be the same as the one I removed from my Deluxe (Davidson's) Mini-14. However, there is NOTHING cheap about it, as it's a nicely-finished chunk of solid steel. Also, it IS threaded onto the muzzle; the Mini uses the 9/16x24RH thread and I expect the same thread is used on this rifle.

If one doesn't like the "look" (as I didn't), a British L1A1 flash-hider is an easy installation since it uses the same thread size. It's available from Gunparts Corporation for about fifteen dollars.

I find it difficult to understand the pervasive nit-picking and "why didn't they..." comments on this rifle. ...on SEVERAL Internet forums. While I haven't yet handled one in the flesh, it seems that the design objectives have been well-satisfied in the construction of the rifle. My experience with over forty years' worth of Ruger firearms tells me that the package will work. Also, a goodly number of us DON'T LIKE synthetic stocks, and see laminates as an excellent solution to the durability/warping/strength issues facing conventional wood stocks.

I repeat: I like it.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    One of the things Cooper mentioned in his commentaries was a handiness factor. The shorter the depth of the rifle, the handier it was. That magazine ruins it. If they were going to have a mag sticking out the bottom at least make it a high capacity one.

I think they should have used a normal internal 5 shot magazine so the rifle could have been carried normally. Maybe added a stripper clip guide. And the barrel is too short. Mucho muzzle blast. The tactical ninjas aren't going to like this anyway, since it isn't a semiauto, so a lower capacity internal magazine would be fine.

I'm expecting this to bomb in the market place. If they could have put it out 15-20 years ago that might not have been the case, but Cooper isn't here to promote the concept.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

Threads on this are 5/8-24. There has been a huge influx in the sales of .30 suppressors. Ruger is trying to capitolize on this.

bhn22
    I did miss the threaded muzzle part somehow. I'd like to see one in person to feel how it handles, but my first instinct is that it was made to provide a "look", and that functionality wasn't given much consideration.

Boolit Master

I agree with the above. I would also like to see how concentric the threads are. Bolt guns and big mags dont do a whole lot for me.

Boolit Master
    I LOVE Ruger firearms. I really love them, but that looks like doo doo.

Boolit Buddy
    Handled one today in Shrewsbury Pa. It was a light, sharp looking rifle. Wood fit was acceptable. Barrel was not free floated. Action had a nice matte finish and cycled very smoothly. Trigger felt maybe 4# and crisp, no over travel. The magazine ejected easily and mounted easily and positive. Did not have any dummy rounds to test cycling. The only things I would do different at the factory would be to use a different flash hider/suppressor. I just did not care for the looks. It may work fine but it was not pleasing to my eye. My son loved it so I guess that one is very subjective. I would like the barrel free floated and I would like an additional magazine approx. the same length as the trigger guard to compliment the larger 10 rounder. I think it was 10 anyway. They wanted $749.00 which did not seem to far out of the ballpark. It handled very nice. It had a ghost ring(removable) rear sight and a scope could be mounted on the Picatinny rail or on the std ruger base on the action. My son intends to return in the morning and try to work a deal with them. We are both anxious to see how it shoots. So, from a selfish perspective, I hope he can deal with them and come home with it.
    All in all in was a very nice package for the price.

I've never been a big fan of Ruger rifles, but this one looks interesting.

I'm not averse to the looks of the magazine, it is what it is, and it's part of the basic concept. What I don't like about it on my CZ527 is there's no comfortable way to carry it. It's right at the balance point. If you hold the fore end in front of the mag then it's hard to keep the muzzle pointed down like it should be. Sling it and the mag gouges you in the kidney. Try to carry it in the crook of your arm and it gouges your wrist.

There is a flush fitting mag available for the CZ that cures that problem, but it only holds two rounds. That's no big deal if you have a couple of extra five or ten rounders. As a matter of fact, if you have various loads for different purposes, it's just a matter of a few seconds to change the mag and eject the round in the chamber.

Personally, I don't have a need for a flash hider. I suppose it would be a simple matter to change that to what ever you want...muzzle brake, suppressor false muzzle.

What about the cross bolts in the stock? Are they really necessary on a 308 in a laminated stock? AFAIC they look much worse than the mag.

Hmmmm.......wonder where I could get a good look at one.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Buddy

Smile Ruger Gunsite Carbine

As a lifetime Ruger Fan, I think it looks nice to me. I do
    believe this will be a great seller.
    Sure some folks will 'pick it apart", but Ruger is trying
    to stay in the market. (It probably handles nice also)...

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS..

[COLOR="#FF0000"]MANY YEARS AGO I GAVE AN OATH TO DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION FROM
    A-L-L TRAITORS, BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC NOW, AT 78, I'M READY AGAIN TO ANSWER THE CALL.
    COLOR]

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    Personally, I don't have a need for a flash hider. I suppose it would be a simple matter to change that to what ever you want...muzzle brake, suppressor false muzzle.

What about the cross bolts in the stock? Are they really necessary on a 308 in a laminated stock? AFAIC they look much worse than the mag.

Hmmmm.......wonder where I could get a good look at one.

Jerry
    Jerry,

I assume the cross bolts are for the detachable magazine housing. I'm also positive that a threaded muzzle cap could be fitted. Still an interesting concept to stay in the market.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    Jerry,

I assume the cross bolts are for the detachable magazine housing. I'm also positive that a threaded muzzle cap could be fitted. Still an interesting concept to stay in the market.

CD

I hadn't thought of that. I suppose that's a possibility, but I don't see why the action screws wouldn't be enough...that works for everybody else.

OK, I looked at the Ruger website and their "Laminate compact", which appears to be the same rifle without the tacticool package, doesn't have any cross bolts. Their "Compact Magnum" and "African", both available in 308, have a single cross bolt at the recoil lug, but both models are available in calibers with much more recoil.

The two cross bolts on this one just strike me as being more cosmetic than functional.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master
    I've always taken a "whatever dings your bell" approach to other people's taste in firearms. It is, after all, a free country (at least that's what they tell us).
    If I tell myself that enough, I'll understand why Ruger built that instead of something else.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    I've always taken a "whatever dings your bell" approach to other people's taste in firearms. It is, after all, a free country (at least that's what they tell us).
    If I tell myself that enough, I'll understand why Ruger built that instead of something else.
    That pretty much sums up my feelings, I have no use for black rifles but they are real popular with many shooters. I can't see myself wanting one of these, but they will have a share of the market, which was probably studied before they went to the expense of building them.

Page 1 of 39 1234567891011 ... LastLast