RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chamber insert for handi-rifle

Boolit Master

chamber insert for handi-rifle

So I've been enamored with the thought of a single shot in a small .30 to .32 caliber cartridge to be used with light loads and cast bullets for squirrels, rabbits, and plinking. I recently got what I thought was a great deal on a 308 win. handi rifle and got to thinking (dangerous, I know) about a chamber insert for a smaller cartridge. Now, I'm pretty sure that just buying a .32 H&R mag barrel for my Contender would be smarter, but for some reason this intrigues me.

I found this website and man does he have a lot of choices:
    http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Really inexpensive too at $20, so one could theoretically have multiple cartridge options for the same gun.

I was wondering if anyone had tried this particular brand of chamber insert and what their experience was as far as accuracy. I also wonder if one could use the insert without lock-tite and just extract it with the fired cartridge each time, that way preserving the option to shoot 308 at any time.

I did a search and found some good information by Molly in one thread on a 32 acp insert from Sportsman's Guide, but I think these might be different.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    I'm sure the sportsmans guide ones are different, but they all work the same way. Numrich as them in 32 acp for $19. As long as you don't have too high of expectations, I'm sure they will work. As with most everything, they work for some and not for others.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...650&catid=6868

I have often thought about an insert from mcace in 32 Mag. The site says they are available in 18" lengths for shotgun barrels. I would take a 20 gauge barrel, and glue one in like a barrel liner, cut an extractor groove and use a 223 extractor.

But, I have not been able to find any real accuracy tests about the inserts, and I have never been able to contact the guy. All of my e-mails and phone calls have went unanswered. If you decide to get one, let me know how it works out. Thanks, Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Boolit Master
    I have one of the mcace adapters for .22 mag in .222 and it works OK. Not as good as a real 22 mag but great for aclimation to the rifle and handling and cheaper then .222, even reloaded.good enough for squirrels and such at 100' or less. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had tried this particular brand of chamber insert and what their experience was as far as accuracy. I also wonder if one could use the insert without lock-tite and just extract it with the fired cartridge each time, that way preserving the option to shoot 308 at any time.
    I use their adapter for 30 carbine in 308 barrel on my Encore. I don't locktite it ito the barrel as I have to remove it after every shot to pust the empty case out of the adapter.

I get 1" groups at 25yds using GI ball ammo from the '50s.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I looked at the website some more and it looks like a new guy is running the outfit. Perhaps he will be more responsive to emails. I'm going to send him one and find out.

Banned

Now, if I could just figger out how to shoot .45 ACP in my .45 Colt barrel.......

Gear

Boolit Man
    I have a chamber adapter to shoot .32ACP from my .30-30. I intend to take it to a 'smith one of these days and have it reamed to either .32 S&W Long or perhaps .32 Magnum, as I shoot both of those cartridges but do not have any .32ACPs.

Be that as it may, I have fired a fair number of ACP rounds through my Handi-rifle in .30-30, which is great for introducing kids to the operation and trigger pull. Accuracy is not stellar, but it is usable. I am sure if a feller was to fool around with boolits and such it could be improved to a great degree.
    Otony

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of their adapters, good folks to deal with ! My adapter is .32 H&R Magnum in a .30-30 chamber. I bought the Stainless Steel version.
    Started out using it in my break open 24V savage (.30-30 over 20 Ga.) , it worked great, the only problem is taking it out and having to reload it each time.....Kinda slowwwwwww, but if your just plinkin, it's no big deal.
    I keep a little pusher stick or wooden dowel handy incase a fired case gets stuck in the adpater, they push out easily.
    I haven't tried it out in my Handi-Rifle barrel yet, one of these days...... Good luck with yours!
    If you happen to have a odd ball caliber or custom chamber, simply send them a fired case (UNSIZED ) and they will build an adapter to fit.....Contact them for details.
    I was thinking about having one made for .32-20 to .30-30......I have 32-20 dies and brass, brother has the rifle.....LOL. Good luck with yours ! "PJ"
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

I have about 10 of their adaptors. I think 5 are over 6 inches long. I have one in 12ga/45-70 (18 inch) I've always been afraid to shoot), one in 12ga/44mag (16 inch) I put in a double barrel and was impressed with the group, and two in 410/22 hornet (18 inch) that needed some adjustment to fire properly, in these the grouping was not good. I have various 22 rim fires in 223-222 and the 32 & 32H&R in various 30 calibers. I like them and would get more. I would love to have a 357 to 32H&R to rechamber a 3 screw Ruger. If your looking for a light load you also might try: www.woodsrunner.com/m107.html I beleive the poster is a member of this board. Let us know how it goes.
    DHB

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry the website is: www.woodsdrummer.com/m107.html I still did not find it at this address. It was originally posted by ML on the Hoods Woods Forum, Dec 11,2001. Titled "Reduced Centerfire Loads".
    DHB
    Last edited by DHB; 01-16-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: wrong address

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the replies. DHB, neither link you provided seems to work for some reason.

I have not heard back from mcace yet, but I did email on a friday. I'll report what I find out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Now, if I could just figger out how to shoot .45 ACP in my .45 Colt barrel.......

Gear
    Cut a ring of brass off a .45 Colt case that is .387" long and place in chamber. That's the difference in case length between a .45 Colt and .45 ACP.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Gear, I had a Ruger that had both cylinders and it never shot well because of the barrel diameter. It was a trade off between the two. It worked but not well.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    For about $20 you could buy a Lee 311-100-2R DC mold and load them in your .308 cases over miniscule charges of very fast burning powders. The same is true for 30-30, 30-06, etc. Lyman 311008 will aslo work, as would the Lee "soup can" or Lyman 311316 with the added expense of the GCs.

Powders like Bullseye, Red Dot, 700x, Clays, or Solo 1000 are perfect for these loads. Start at 2gr and work up 1/2gr at a time until you find or lose accuracy, and POI coincides with POA.

These chamber inserts may offer some flexibility to those whe don't reload, but don't appeal to me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    For about $20 you could buy a Lee 311-100-2R DC mold and load them in your .308 cases over miniscule charges of very fast burning powders. The same is true for 30-30, 30-06, etc. Lyman 311008 will aslo work, as would the Lee "soup can" or Lyman 311316 with the added expense of the GCs.

Powders like Bullseye, Red Dot, 700x, Clays, or Solo 1000 are perfect for these loads. Start at 2gr and work up 1/2gr at a time until you find or lose accuracy, and POI coincides with POA.

These chamber inserts may offer some flexibility to those whe don't reload, but don't appeal to me.
    Or, use buckshot crimped in the case mouth.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master

Excess650 and Shooter you both make a good point. I have done that and it sure makes more sense. Still the adapter is pretty cool.

The email I sent to the manufacturer could not be delivered so since one can only order by email I guess this decision got real simple.

Boolit Grand Master

Gear, if you are talking about a Contender barrel if you change the extractor to one for the acp it will probably work.
    One can fire 45acp in the 45win magnum barrels as the extractor holds the cartridge in place.

Boolit Buddy
    One of the advantages of the chamber adapter is that the combustion chamber is so much smaller. Achieving a silent load is more a function of getting the terminal pressure low enough that the escaping gasses release below the speed of sound. Something that's harder than getting the bullet that slow. The expansion ratio of the gasses are so much better from a 32acp than from a larger case. I have a 303x32acp adapter and I fire a 110 gr. boolit at just over 500 ft/sec. It sounds quieter than my air rifle and hits with twice the energy of a 22 CB short. Use the fastest burning powder you can get your hands on and of course use extreme caution, starting low. Ron.D

Boolit Grand Master

Waters Pet Loads Pg 842...
    "accuracy ran from 7/8 to 1 5/16" at 20 yards". They are good for small game at close range and for plinking. I started my Daughter out on a 30-30 with 32 S and W rounds in a gallery ctg. No noise no recoil so she could concentrate on shooting. But I eventualy went to gallery loads in a regual case and got a little better accuracy and no fiddling with the case on reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post

Gear
    Press fit a brass ring in the chamber?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast