RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: harbor freight ammo boxes

Boolit Master

harbor freight ammo boxes

Has anyone seen the Harbor Freight ammo boxes. I saw them on the site they have but they give no prices. Sounds like a thing to stock up on if they are cheap.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Has anyone seen the Harbor Freight ammo boxes. I saw them on the site they have but they give no prices. Sounds like a thing to stock up on if they are cheap.
    ..............You mean like plastic hinge top 50 rounders and such? Where'dja see'm?

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............You mean like plastic hinge top 50 rounders and such? Where'dja see'm?

.................Buckshot
    Kind of looks like this is it. We have one close to Fremont where I work.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...y=RECREATIONAL

I've got some. they are as good as any other brand.

Harbor Freight, Harbor Freight USA or ?

I could not get any prices nor availability from anyone.
    I just gave up and ordered card board boxes from Midway.
    FWIW
    DaveP kywoodwrkr

I got some at the store, but have never been able to find them on the website.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

ammo boxes

Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    I got some at the store, but have never been able to find them on the website.
    Hi Wills,
    Are they at a good price? They list no prices. I can get the 100 round ones for about $3.00 each at my local little gun store when they have any in stock that is.

It has been a long time, but if I remember correctly they were in a markdown bin and I got all I could find in the size I wanted. They were 100 round pistol cartridge boxes and I think they may have been about $1.50. I see Midway lists similar MTM boxes at $3.59.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    OK thanks for the info. Is that the La Grange Texas in the ZZ Top song. A haw haw haw haw! Love those guys. Got a friend who looks just like one of them.

Yep, we are about two or three miles from the ruins of the Chicken Ranch.
    http://www.benedict.com/Audio/zztop/zztop.aspx
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

If the ones you are talking about are like plastic 30 cal military boxes they are $3.79. I prefer the real metal 30 cal boxes that you can get for $8-10 .

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    If the ones you are talking about are like plastic 30 cal military boxes they are $3.79. I prefer the real metal 30 cal boxes that you can get for $8-10 .
    Tractor supply (TSC) had them last fall and into the winter months for sale. After New Years, our local store had the 30 cal marked down to $5.00 and the FAT 50 cal boxes marked down to $12.00. I walked out with 10 each. They are great for storing anything. I store cast bullets in mine.

Boolit Master
    I have one or two if the WM versions and have looked at the HF, Northern etc versions, most all are from the same mould and there are slight differences' in the wire bale and latch parts, but they all work effectively as a cheap box if you want to store something in a fairly airtight container.

Of course nothing beats the durability of the good old fashioned metal can for long term use.

I used one for schlepping ammo out to the range but after repeated use the handle broke the pin that connects it to the lid.

Boolit Master
    I picked up four last week end of the 30cal ammo box type at HF for 3.49 @. I used these four for storing empty brass, 22H, 22KH, 25/20 and 256 Win. Might get a few more for smaller cases that I don't have a lot of brass for as they are a handy size and stack well. I don't think I would trust the handles or the latches for carrying when full of loaded rounds.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; Not HF info but a couple weeks ago I was in the local dollar store and they had cheap ($1.00) plastic tool boxes. About 4" tall, 5" wide and 12" long. I bought one for my 32 ACP ammo (the local stores only carry the 30 cal steel and "50 cal" plastic cans. The dollar store tool box is black with a swivel yellow handle that is working perfect and I plan on getting a few more (when they let me out of the house)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    This is the Harbor Freight link that works ... https://www.harborfreight.com/ammo-dry-box-63135.html
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

The ones I saw at HF were trash.
    A couple of years ago I checked them out in the store. One broke in My hands.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I have quite a few of those plastic 30 cal cans from Harbor Freight. Most I got with a coupon so they where not much cost. They are not chap, just inexpensive. Big difference. I also have cans like them from other places. Some Plano some with store brands. The biggest difference I have found is price.
    Some have different shaped corners, so you can't stack some up on others.
    A few have had warped bodies that won't let the cover close well. These I heated up with my heat gun then pulled the body into shape as I closed them. After cooling of they work fine.
    I have a some of the plastic fat 50 cans. They are good too. I have a couple of steel fat 50's too. These are better than the plastic but are much heavier.
    The plastic cans have held up for years holding loaded ammo. Never broke any.
    I sore many thing in these cans. A lot of food stuffs that come in boxes and such. I have a problem with mice. Storing food stuffs in these cans protect my food.
    I do want to get the steel 30 cal cans for storing lead ingots and bullets. I don't think the plastic cans would hold up with that much weight.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    This is the Harbor Freight link that works ... https://www.harborfreight.com/ammo-dry-box-63135.html
    Unless there are more like Walks describes, that's a good deal. Wonder how much shipping will add?

FWIW; I have a 50 cal GI ammo can that I was keeping my JIC (Just in Case) ammo in, loose. I had to switch to a smaller can because the 50 cal can got really heavy when getting full of 230 gr 45 ACP handloads...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I would not buy them if I had a reasonable option. Sometime in the last few years our local farm supply chain, Atwoods, had a sale on these type boxes. There was a pallet of made in USA boxes sitting right next to a pallet of China sourced boxes like the Harbor Freight. Same price. Guess which went home with me.

The job you save by buying US made may be your own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast