Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load Data online reloading site

Load Data online reloading site

I was looking for a load for a 170 grain cast boolit. An oddball weight for a cast boolit, but I know there is load data for it. I came across a site on the 'net called 'Load Data'. When you try see what the charge weight of your load is, there is an ad that pops up wanting you to pay $29.95 for a one year subscription to their load data site. Is there anyone on here that is a subscriber to Load Data and what do you think of the site? Is it worth it?
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master
    A Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook costs much less, and you don't have to buy it every year.

I've seen the site and don't subscribe. It isn't worth it.

The Lyman manual is awesome. the powder companies mostly have online access to their data. There are free sites (use with caution) such as:

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp
    http://www.loadswap.com/

They often have tough to find recipes. I usually cross reference 2 sources when using the free websites as folks submit their data, and can get it wrong. But they were helpful looking for a load a couple of weeks ago.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    If I'm not mistaken, Load Data is an offshoot of the Wolfe Publishing (Rifle, Handloader, etc.) outfit.

The only reason I haven't subscribed, even to try it out for a year, is that I haven't yet been able to afford a laptop computer for my handloading bench. When I do, I'll also connect it to my Lyman DPS-1200 powder dispenser. I'll then be able to consolidate most of my shooting stuff into one computer. Log book, target photos, load data, firearms records, chrono data, etc. Big plans, few $$.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    I was a subscriber for several years, and thought it was a good sight. Only reason I left was cause then you could only pay subscription with credit card and my cc company had different ideas about how much interest they wanted to charge. 25% was just a bit to much in my mind.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Master
    I live and work tech, but my impression of for-pay sites like this is to instead read up on what others like for a given cartridge, buy a micrometer, and work up loads yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

The powder web sites have data for free. Try here too.http://www.stevespages.com/page8.htm
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

+1 on buying your own loading manuals. Mine are not all the latest additions, but I refer to them all the time. I especially like the Lyman manuals. I have them for Muzzleloading, cast boolits, shotgun and smokeless loading. I wouldn't be without them.

I don't care for it, it has a lot of crappy quality "loads" mixed into the published data. Not sure what Wolfe thinks that business model is. I find it a fail.

Boolit Master
    A chronometer is good too for when you start trying OALs that differ from the manual.

Boolit Master
    Load manuals are indespensible, tons more info than just loading data. Best pay site http://www.ammoguide.com/ ,many many wildcats and oddballs!

In Remembrance
    It will be a cold day in Obamaville before I pay money to an online-reloading data site simply to be a member and have access to information that might, and I emphasize might, be decent.

A. There are already a plethora of free sites and forums in existence with members who can--and will--help you out.

B. You can contact the powder manufacturers for questions about oddball loads and talk to some of their balliticians. I've done that quite a bit with Accurate Arms powders.

Boolit Master
    I'd pay money for a good comprehensive pressure tested, organized, well thought out sight. I've done some searching there during a free trial I got for a day a couple years ago, also, you can go there now and search around without actually getting the data. I think you will find it is a mish mash of published data, thrown in with some pet loads and handloader articles, not well organized, and nothing new. Data can be gathered elsewhere.
    What I wish was Accurate, especially Alliant and others would do the job Hodgdon does on there website, I find the Hodgdon sight to be awesome. Just wish they included Unique, 2400 and Reloder 22.
    Darn.

TThanks for the info all ..... I'll stay away from the Load data online site.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    B. You can contact the powder manufacturers for questions about oddball loads and talk to some of their balliticians. I've done that quite a bit with Accurate Arms powders.
    I've got to give some credit to VV on that front too. They were very helpful indeed in answering some power questions I had for a wildcat.

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Rusty View Post
    I was looking for a load for a 170 grain cast boolit. An oddball weight for a cast boolit, but I know there is load data for it.

What caliber?

Boolit Grand Master

I tried it for a year! Waste of money in my opinion. Have a fairly large collection of reloading manuals from a number of blt mfg's and powder mags. In addition, I have internet information from this site and many others. A wealth of knowledge, and practical, experianced wisdom. 170 gr is not an uncommon weight in my opinion. I have 3-4 170 grain molds, and for 30 and 357 cals.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Mold

Thought I'd check for some yeas and nays on "LOAD DATA" and this came up. I see some sound advice, yet: 3 days ago I posted a request for load info on 40-60 Winchester on 3 forums and got 1 reply with 1 suggested start load that I already had. For collectors like me that like the obsolete cartridges, ie. 25-20, 38-56, 40-60, 40-82, etc., there seems to be no internet, or nearly none, with information available. I checked the LOAD DATA site for 40-60 and got about 30 suggested loads for the 40-60, though most are charge/velocity variations. I guess it comes down to what type of shooting one is interested in, historic, obsolete or the 9mm/AR-15 black gun stuff. Haven't subscribed yet but leaning that way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wincacher View Post
    Thought I'd check for some yeas and nays on "LOAD DATA" and this came up. I see some sound advice, yet: 3 days ago I posted a request for load info on 40-60 Winchester on 3 forums and got 1 reply with 1 suggested start load that I already had. For collectors like me that like the obsolete cartridges, ie. 25-20, 38-56, 40-60, 40-82, etc., there seems to be no internet, or nearly none, with information available. I checked the LOAD DATA site for 40-60 and got about 30 suggested loads for the 40-60, though most are charge/velocity variations. I guess it comes down to what type of shooting one is interested in, historic, obsolete or the 9mm/AR-15 black gun stuff. Haven't subscribed yet but leaning that way.
    Wincacher, for each of those calibers you've listed I've found at least 1 load in "Cartridges of the world". I have 13th edition and could find everything you've mentioned. Can be a starting point.

Boolit Grand Master

I too recommend the Lyman manuals, current and older versions like the third edition. This site is also good for info on load data but like with any internet site verify it with a manual or data from the powder company. The Lee manual also has some generic load data gathered from other sources but it seems to be valid info.
    With most data for boolits one can use data from a slightly heavier boolit and still be safe. The older Accurate Arms manuals had data for boolits but most using 5744 started out higher than I found was needed. Be aware when Western Powder bought Accurate they stated that data from the older manuals should not be used. I still reference it but confirm it from other sources also.
    A 170gr weight boolit is common in the 30 caliber or 8mm.
    It is helpful to members here to have as much info like: Firearm, cartridge, boolit weight, powder, and the goal you are trying to achieve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast