RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Length of pull?

Boolit Master

Length of pull?

Is there a formula for the length of pull for a rifle? I measured my arms from the tip of my trigger finger to the tip of my nose looking straight ahead and got 36.25" if that helps. This is the rifle I want to fit to it has a 14.25" pull.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Freightman; 02-27-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    Frank G.

That is a beautiful rifle! The rule of thumb for measuring pull is to measure the length between the first joint of your extended index finger and the inside of your elbow at the bicep. 14 and1/2 is most common. Too long and you catch your clothing when you mount, too short and you have to lay your head over the cheek piece to line up your sights.

Boolit Master
    It shoots as good as it looks, but it does better with 450/500gr boolits it has a medium range tang and a adjustable hooded sight with a bubble (can't see it from the rear) old eyes. It is a little heavy to carry hunting, but I own it and intend to hunt with it. Walked over a section this winter but the only deer we saw was at 600 yds in another mans field.
    Frank G.

In Remembrance
    I know about estimating desired length of pull by setting the butt in a bent elbow, but...

In order to speak to you in the 'same language' you are using, I measured my arm length the same way you did.
    I also came out with 36.25 inches, so we are of similar build in that regard.

Still staying with 'your language', I measured the length of pull on my Sharps rifle.
    I got 14 inches.

I find this length to be somewhat short. I don't use my PAST recoil shield because it is so 'hard', but it does give me something close to a perfect length of pull...and it is nearly three quarters of an inch thick.

Do you feel your stock is too long, or too short. You really haven't said...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Well I have two butt plates one that is on the rifle is 3/4" thicker than the other and I think it might be a tad short by about 1/2" the other puts me too close to the tang sight and it has hit me in the past.
    Last edited by Freightman; 01-12-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Nugget View Post
    That is a beautiful rifle! The rule of thumb for measuring pull is to measure the length between the first joint of your extended index finger and the inside of your elbow at the bicep. 14 and1/2 is most common. Too long and you catch your clothing when you mount, too short and you have to lay your head over the cheek piece to line up your sights.
    Thanks for the info. I always wondered why most rifles didn't fit me. I just checked and the distance from my bent elbow to the first joint of my trigger finger is 16 1/4 inches.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Good information given. Will add this, measuring should be done wearing the type of clothing that will be worn while shooting. Cold weather clothing will change the optimum length of pull.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Well I have two butt plates one that is on the rifle is 3/4" thicker than the other and I think it might be a tad short by about 1/2" the other puts me too close to the tang sight and it has hit me in the past.
    There are a number of slip on pads you can put on the butt, and there are the 'shields' that you wear.

Of the wearable type, I like the Bob Allen 398B rifle pad...like this one.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/bob-alle...ess-rifle.html

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 01-12-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    there is no set rule on length of pull. most factory rifles are too long. one size fits all. it makes a difference if you have a long sloping pistol grip or a close straight grip. take an inch off a stock and it changes the balance of a rifle considerably. for a hunting rifle you want a shorter stock. I build mine 13 1/2 and I have a springfield that is 12 1/2. it is a matter of personal preferance but most people would shoot better with a little shorter stock.

Banned

My Pedersoli SXS is to long, but the wood is so nice I can't bare to cut it down.

In Remembrance
    ...bear...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

This has all made me very curious. I measured the distance between the front of the trigger and buttstock of all my factory long guns. Remington 770 is 13", Mosin Nagant 91/30 (1944) is 13", CVA Hawken Muzzel loader set trigger is 14", hair trigger is 14 3/4".
    All of these guns feel right to me. My measurement is 14.5" by the method I posted, but 13.5" using the info on the link John Boy posted by curling the index finger. The Hawken mounts more onto the upper arm than the shoulder. Gun fitting seems like black magic with "cast on or off", "drop", "pitch",etc. More of an issue for shotguns with only a bead for a sight, I guess. I do wonder how much better I would shoot, (or how much less I would suck) if I had a properly fitted rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    It also depends on how you shoot - a dedicated prone rifle would need to be close to 2" longer than a rifle for standing shooting. So there's not really 1 size for all types of shooting...

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Nugget View Post
    I do wonder how much better I would shoot, (or how much less I would suck) if I had a properly fitted rifle.
    I have built (or restocked) a few rifles for others. We started out with the elbow to finger distance to get a rough idea, but the final adjustments to length...and height & width...were decided by having the owner shoulder the rifle with his eyes closed.

He would take his favorite shooting stance, then drop the rifle to waist level. He'd be looking at a baseball sized object about forty feet away. He would burn the image into his brain, then close his eyes and remount the gun without moving his head.

As soon as it was in place, he would look to see if the sight picture (or scope) was anywhere close to being in alignment with the target. We would work from there...

CM

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post

He would take his favorite shooting stance, then drop the rifle to waist level. He'd be looking at a baseball sized object about forty feet away. He would burn the image into his brain, then close his eyes and remount the gun without moving his head.

As soon as it was in place, he would look to see if the sight picture (or scope) was anywhere close to being in alignment with the target. We would work from there...

CM
    Ding, Ding, we have the proper proceedure for fitting a long rifle.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

I measure from the inside bend of the trigger back to the center of the buttplate. If I have a rifle that measures 13 and 3/4 inches using that measurement, it is a perfect fit for me.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."