Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: t/c pistol .357mag

Boolit Master

t/c pistol .357mag

ok
    i have been jumping through hoops on this one.
    as usual i jumped in with both feet with zero knowledge.
    i am having a hard time getting decent groups with this.
    357mag w/removable choke for hotshot ammo.

Boolit Master
    then i realized that i have play in the hinge pin
    a slightly larger diameter one is on the way.
    then through research i found that many t/c bbls. had tons of freebore.
    so i made a dummy round and closed the action on it.
    this would be touching the lands.
    as you can see freebore isnt my problem.

Boolit Master
    the bbl. itself looks pretty good.
    lands and grooves seem ok.
    i am trying to be methodical and troubleshoot doing the simple stuff 1st.

any of you gurus have any input?
    thanks fellas

Boolit Master
    I have a TC 357 10"bbl that I got new and it would never shoot to my satisfaction. The best groups I ever got out of it at 50yds off bags was around two inches. TC replaced the bbl once and the replacement wasn't any better. I never figured out why either. My best guess is the twist rate in the bbl. I just keep it in the safe now and don't bother using it. Every revolver I own will out shoot it off bags with the right load. I'm not bashing TCs, I owned three at one time in a lot of different barrel configurations. The 357 was the only one that wouldn't shoot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I have a TC 357 10"bbl that I got new and it would never shoot to my satisfaction. The best groups I ever got out of it at 50yds off bags was around two inches. TC replaced the bbl once and the replacement wasn't any better. I never figured out why either. My best guess is the twist rate in the bbl. I just keep it in the safe now and don't bother using it. Every revolver I own will out shoot it off bags with the right load. I'm not bashing TCs, I owned three at one time in a lot of different barrel configurations. The 357 was the only one that wouldn't shoot.
    what year was that bbl.?
    they have done a lot of stuff over the years.

Two things all my T/C barrels have told me: they like heavy bullets and hot loads. I have a 12'' 357 mag, my best load to date is: FC brass trimmed to 1.26 (IIRC), CCI SPM primer, 13.5grs. 2400, RCBS 358-180-SIL cast out of 3-2 Lead-Lino, sized: .359 with Felix lubeand a Hornady gas check. I have managed to put five rounds touching at 50 yards. I will be honest shooting prone with one hand the recoil is a bit, I will keep wearing a glove when I shoot this load. Also I only get about 7-8 reloads out of the brass as well. I full length size my brass and load so the bullet just touches the lands. My 357 Mag has not shot any bullet without a check well, maybe something to think about.

Adam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    what year was that bbl.?
    they have done a lot of stuff over the years.
    Mine was mid to late 80s. I don't recall the exact year I got it.

Boolit Buddy
    I will humbly suggest that better sights might also help. I don't think that these hotshot barrels were ever intended for precision target work.

Boolit Master

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
    I will humbly suggest that better sights might also help. I don't think that these hotshot barrels were ever intended for precision target work.
    point taken
    i has a 2x20 scope now...

Boolit Master
    If it were mine the first thing I'd do is cast the chamber to see if they did something "funky" in with the chamber or throat to accommodate the hot shot caps. Then I'd do what ever I could to inspect the end of the rifling where the machining was done for the choke. Make sure there aren't any burrs or what ever. I hate to say this but I wouldn't have picked that barrel configuration for "target" shooting.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    If it were mine the first thing I'd do is cast the chamber to see if they did something "funky" in with the chamber or throat to accommodate the hot shot caps. Then I'd do what ever I could to inspect the end of the rifling where the machining was done for the choke. Make sure there aren't any burrs or what ever. I hate to say this but I wouldn't have picked that barrel configuration for "target" shooting.
    it is my best gals.
    i am just trying to get her a decent load developed

Boolit Master

unclebill,

I've owned two .357 Mag chambered T/C Contenders. First had a 10" bull barrel with adj sights bought in Germany in 89'. It would shoot 148 Wadcutters on top of each other at 25 yds. Sold that one and later but a older one with another 10" HotShot .357 barrel (removable choke) with adj sights. Mine doesn't have the rib like yours. Since the barrel is rifled, the job of the choke tube is to stop the spin of the shot capsules. For good accuracy, remove the choke tube and fire away. With the choke tube installed firing CCI/Speer reloaded shotcapsules in .38 cases, I can keep a pattern of 6" at 15 yds. Remove the tube and I get cloverleaf groups at 25yds with my 158 LSWC reloads. Second 14" bbl is in .41 mag.

Yours appearantly likes the 158 SWC load. Might just take some more load development.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Grand Master

Pour a chamber cast and inspect the leade of the chamber. T/C's have had issues with the chamber being cut slightly off center. I had a 30 Herrett barrel like that and wasn't able to get it to group either. Got disgusted and sent it to T/C with the chamber cast and they sent me a new barrel.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Ditto to the above. However my 357 is a somewhat large chamber so, I neck or partial sized. That made it come into it's own then. Mine seemed to like a heavy bullet at least a 180 and a stiff charge, my 180's are running 1650+. A bit stiff for a gal and even most guys but it will shoot around 1 1/2" at 100 with a set of bomar irons and my bad eyes.
    Also I went from a smallish .358 and lapped the lube die, ended up with around .359 and that sure helped also.
    jeff

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't even bother w/ an oversized hingepin.
    If the barrel locks up solid/tight (barrel doesn't move when closed) it's OK.
    Those groups are pretty good, considering the sights you have to use.
    I have an octagon barrel w/ external choke.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    my 180's are running 1650+. A bit stiff for a gal and even most guys
    her favorite gun to shoot from my collection is the .454 casull.

i think i should marry this one....

my 357 barrel isnt the choked kind ( tho my 44 is -complete with rib and fold down site blade - it simply rocks so the sites can be used as was/is and used well ) it's also my most shot barrel , my best groups have been with 38 special 148-ish grain wadcutters ( ummm lots and lots of freebore that way ) but for jacketed mag rounds i found that if i load it more like a rifle as opposed to a pistol i get tighter groups ie; a few thou off the lands with just a hint of crimp , thumbs up for the 2400 powder ! with the 296/110 powders i usually use the crimp groove and a stronger crimp , if you're not using a slow ball grained pistol powder try regular primers , sometimes they can tame a erratic group down a wee bit ( and if you want my 148 grain 38 special load data give me a yell )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    ( and if you want my 148 grain 38 special load data give me a yell )
    ok
    i'm yellin.
    i figure you may as well post it here so future questions like this can answered with a search of the forum.

Boolit Man

TC 44 mag ***

My brand new barrel is in a box for Fed Ex to pick up Tuesday for a return to the factory. I posted in the Cast Boolits section about a leading problem and will make changes based on that advice. On further inspection with magnifying glasses, I noticed that 2 of the lands at the chamber end of the barrel look like they were hit with a boring bar. They actually have gouges in them. Also, it is free bored the full length of a 240 gr. TL SWC boolit and there is still a gap between it and the case. The free bore looks like it was machined with a hatchet. I expect a new barrel and I told them to shorten the chamber and make sure any free bore was polished. I only expect what is possible with modern manufacturing. I also said I would prefer a rifled barrel and then I would send it to a speciality place to have the chamber bored. From everything that I have read, I doubt I will get a factory barrel of sufficient quality. From reading other posts it seems that QC may be lacking at TC.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    ok
    i'm yellin.
    i figure you may as well post it here so future questions like this can answered with a search of the forum.
    ummm "yelling" is usually a PM as i'm not notified when quoted :P PM inbound ( and i'm sure you'll note why a PM as opposed to here when you read it )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast