Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SB1 Barrels

Boolit Master

SB1 Barrels

I have a Pardner 20ga and I was told that you can get a .357 and a .44mag barrel for it. Also, does anyone have any experience with the ultra slug bull rifled barrel in 20ga? Any other barrel suggestions?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Buddy
    Check out Greybeard Outdoors. They have an H&R/NEF section that is rivaled by none. Read the FAQ's and ask questions. It is my second favorite forum aside from this one. I have both the 357 barrel and the 20 ga USH and love both. My USH will do around 2" at 100 with Accutips. The 357 with 38s is like shooting a big 22, very fun.

Matt

Boolit Master

I've got a .410 Pardner and called NEF about it. Yes, you can order a .357 or .44 mag barrel for the SB1 frame. Go onto NEF/H&R website and down load the spare barrel order form. Now, I just have to be home to mail the shotgun to them.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Mold
    You can have some other low speed cal.. like a 32 -20 or a 32 H&R --- made by a gunsmith... A 9mm 45 acp are others... You may have to change the fireing pin to a smaller non shotgun pin.. Saddly it isn't a cheep fix to have a barrel made... But most folks are happy when it's all done... I wish a had a 32 cal rabbit gun ..... Dan

Boolit Master

ok, I will have to look into that. Thanks guys.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

Used barrels are available on Greybeard at times, but go quickly. There is info there on how tfit them to the action so you can avoid shipping your action to the manufacturer.

Boolit Master

What is the website for graybeard?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

thanks!!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    Before buying the USH try some standard foster slugs in that 20ga. barrel. I did and got very good accuracy out to 70-75 yds with the smoothbore. I had it drilled and tapped for a scope-you can have that done to the 20 ga. barrel but not the 12 ga. barrel.
    I use Rem slugs the cheap ones.
    Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

Ok, it has a modified choke on it hough,will that hurt it?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    Won't hurt the modified barrel a bit, I think that is actually the preferred one to shoot slugs out of for a smoothbore. these are just the old foster type slugs that I use, not fully rifled or sabot slugs.

Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master
    I have a HUNTSMAN this was the 50cal muzzle loader barrel on a SB1 frame , but NEF said no to any other barrel on the HUNTSMAN now , they got the spook about them on black powder or something , cause i sure would have liked the 44mag barrel
    i even asked about the 12 ga barrel the lady at the support line said no no no , no barrels on a huntsman or any black powder gun

i wondered if they were confising the sidekick i think that was the name for thier "non gun"muzzle loading modle

but they only list the 44mag for sb2 recivers in thier barrel program even though they sell the combo with a 1 reciver

this leaves me wondering why i filled out a 4473 for it , has any one else gotten them to sell another barrel for a huntsman. i would be more upset i suppose if i hadn't picked it up cheap and it wasn't a great muzzle loader , just a real shame they won't do barrels for it.

i have been shooting winchester rifled slugs in a 12ga mod choke barrel for 20 years with no problem and decent accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    this leaves me wondering why i filled out a 4473 for it
    Back when I had an FFL, the BATF guys told me that in the event I was unsure if a 4473 was required, I should just fill one out. They said that there is no penalty for filling one out when it is not needed. The penalty for not filling one out when its needed is quite stiff. They told me that they see them on BB-guns in some states. One agent told me that he had even seen a 4473 on a bow & arrow at a shop in NJ.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Used barrels are available on Greybeard at times, but go quickly. There is info there on how tfit them to the action so you can avoid shipping your action to the manufacturer.
    I'm not really sure how to say this without coming off as being snobbish & insulting, but I think that the barrel fitting tips & tricks they recommend are Bubba class.

Maybe I'm just applying unreasonable standards because I've got more of a machine shop to work with than most people do, but epoxy, shims & sand paper around a drill bit are not words that I want to hear when someone starts talking about how they are going to modify a barrel to fit on a receiver.

Those guys over there have a lot of experience with Handi-Rifles & their accuracy tips are good. I just don't like the way that they go about modifying the metal work.

The things that I read there about people trying to heat treat unknown alloys on their own to "make the guns stronger" really scare me. Things like this keep going through my head - http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2469

I think that the $30 the factory charges to refit a barrel for you is pretty reasonable. They've got the tools to do it right.

If a used barrel happens to just drop in & fit right, then hey, that's great. If it doesn't fit right, you're not going to see me reaching for the JB weld.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Grand Master

The older Huntsman barrels have a firing pin with about an 1/8" or larger flat tip on it for percussion caps, not 209 primers. I have 2 of these in 58 caliber.

If one got out the feeler gauges to measure the end of the chamber to the breech face clearances on breakopen guns like the Handis and contenders/Encores he would be amazed that they work as well as they do.
    I measured from less than .000000" to .005" clearance on Contenders and Encores. They can me made to shoot right if you size the brass to fit.

Boolit Master

Leadman, Im assuming you mean w/ a sizer die? Where do you buy the Foster Slugs?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    I understand NEF will not fit a barrel to a 1987 or prior frame.May be wrong.

Boolit Master
    i can understand some shops filling out 4473 on anything of question but at the time there was a huntsman and a sidekick the huntsman was a SB1 frame fitted with a 50 cal muzzle loading barrel but marketed that it could also take SB1 barrels
    and it is much newer than 1987 since it was purchased new in 2005

like i said it's a shame but i still like it and the price was right that was the year they stopped production of the huntsman and when they started again they had 26 inch barrels not the 24 mine has and were then rated for magnum charges to 150 gr

clearance priced it was under a hundred i think 99 or 95 not bad for a new gun.

why 150gr , when 90gr was enough some people just have to have the bigger , biggest , faster fasest ect...

Boolit Master

I havent found the foster type slugs, can you provide me a link?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast