RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Diamondback powder

Boolit Buddy

Diamondback powder

I've been wanting to try some, but Powder inc will only sell it in 25#lots.
    Crater fireworks,blasting and black powder in Mineral IL. had some so made a trip over there and picked up a couple of pounds of 2F Diamondback $ 9.50# and some other powders.

Did a little comparison of density of volume between powders all 2F. used a CVA powder measure set 50 grs. and taped 3 times to settle the powder and scraped off leveled 3 times for each powder then averaged the weight.
    Swiss 2f 54.9
    Diamondback 52.5
    Goex 49.5
    Schuetzen 51.4
    KIK 50.5

NEXT I put all the powders on white sheet of paper in little piles the color is kind of shiny like Swiss, but more course, more on par with the other 2f's. I don't have any screens to go any farther with this.

Next loaded some loads up with Swiss, Diamondback and Schuetzen in 40-65 in a Ron Long chamber in Shiloh Sharps 32"barrel
    Rem cases reformed from 45-70 paper over flash hole CCI Br2 primer 58 grs. BY weight Swiss 2F on this lot#, .030 veggie card, .150 compression, paper on top of card 400 BPS RCBS at 30-1 acc wt 408 GRS. Spg sized .410 The brass is fire formed slip fit the bullets. This my load for that rifle for Swiss 2f

The Swiss, Diamondback and Schuetzen are all loaded the same and same VOLUME of powder, not by weight.

Swiss 2f 1300 fps on fouling shot/ 1256/ 1251/1252/1245/1245=11fps spread

Diamondback 2F 1141 f/s 1089/ 1076/1068/1074 /1063=26 fps

Schuetzen 2f 1129 f/s 1095/1118 /1103/1082/1088=36 fps

String of 6 shots then wet patch then dry on each powder and Swiss was cleanest then diamondback then Schuetzen and fouling softness was about the same on all.
    I did not use a blow tube. cleaned the bore before changing powders.

This is just a little test on Diamondback powder to see the energy it has and how clean it burned. The day I did this it was 20 degrees, dry air,wind wasn't bad 10 mph but it felt cold !!! Tried shooting group at 200 YDS but with the heavy clothes on and the cold on my hands, they didn't work to well.

I like what I've seen so far and with some load development this 9.50$ a# might be a great deal . Hope this gives a little in sight on the powder.

Boolit Master
    I killed a deer a few days ago with it in my flintlock. Neither the rifle or deer complained.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have been using Diamondback powder for about 4 months now. I have compared it to Swiss 1 1/2 and 2F, Schuetzen 2F, and Goex Cartridge and Express. I have not been able to shoot past 200 yds in these tests. It performs way past what I was expecting in both performance and clean up. It cleans up quicker than the Goex powder which I have always tried to use. It is only a guess on my part but I understand that Jerry at Powder Inc has a large amount and that is the reason for the 25 lb min. I will say this though as I just purchased a case for me and some friends. The to my door price of 10.16 a lb is hard to beat. There is also a store in Va., I think it is Back Door or something close and they are located in Winchester. They will sell smaller amounts but the price is much higher oif course. I have looked at the powder under a microscope and the grains are very uniform which means a better and cleaner burn. It is also a lighter color than Goex. If they continue to produce this powder in or near this price range it will be a big seller. They did go up a $1 a pound after the first of the year. I was told that they went to Germany and received information on powder making from Wano. It is made on the same Equipment as the old Elephant Brand but with different people involved. The charcoal is made from a soft South American wood which i8s said to be close to the alder used by the people in Europe. After over 50 rounds of 36 gr loads in my 73 rifle the clean up was one wet and two dry patches with Moose Milk.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

In Remembrance
    boommer,
    I sure wish you had included Goex in your muzzle velocity comparison.
    If you ever do that, please be sure to post the numbers.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    Charlie I wish I would of too but! no GOEX 2f in stock right now. My shootin buddy needed some and he hasn't replaced it yet.

Well I WENT OUT INTO THE FROZEN TRENCHES AGAIN ! a little warmer Saturday 25 out
    ( heat wave) and some different loads worked up with diamond back 2F and I was impressed the one loading.
    40-65 Ron Long chamber Rem cases annealed- necksized- WLR primers- 60 grains weighed
    .250 compression -.030 card- 408 gr bullet.
    1172 fps on the fouling shot 1134/1123/1125/1131/1123=11 fps spread
    blow tubed this day Not bad! so the next loading all I did is changed the primers to Federal 215 Mag primers Not SO GOOD as you see
    Fouling shot 1197fps 1129/1103/1125/1123/1105=26 fps spread

I don't get the mag primers jumping the fouling shot velocity up 1197 but the dropping back down to lower velocity than standard primer loads.

Really starting to like this powder,burns fairly clean and cleans up good and fouling in barrel in this cold dry air is good. Finding a decent load to start tweaking was easy enough.
    The rest of the loads of WLR primers 24 rounds shot them at 200 yards.Shot 12 round strings only blow tubing cleaned after 12 , one wet patch two dry. Accuracy was as good as can be heavy clothes the cold and me,held all the bullets on a 6"bull except fouling shots about a 5"group not to bad for the conditions and me I was happy.

When I get my Goex back I'll run the numbers and post them.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Boommer, what is the lot number of the Schuetzen FFg?
    Why? James Kirkland, owner of Schuetzen Powder LLC told me that Wano would be shipping in 2008, reformulated Schuetzen powder that was tested to have a velocity increase of 8 - 10%

Also, thanks for testing and posting the informative information on densities and velocities. Was not aware the Diamondback was that dense. Their 1st sample shipment to the States was garden fertilizer. They were told by Bill Knight to rework it with more mill turns and longer polishing time. Sounds like they listened to Bill

Who is Bill Knight? The most knowledgeable recognized expert of black powder, 'what's in the can' in the US based on his analyzes
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    John boy there is no lot numbers on the three jugs that I have that I just got 3 weeks ago,whats up with that? I watched him pull it out of the case ,sealed rings on the jugs.