MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 Liberator pistol

In Remembrance

.45 Liberator pistol

Got my issue of The Rifleman mag. from the NRA today. Couldn`t believe someone is making copies of the single shot .45 acp "Liberator" pistol. What I found even more eye popping was they will be sold for $599! They cost a few cents over $2 to make in the first place, now they cost $599. Never knew that a single shot VERY close range pistol that actually tore up your hand shooting it would be reproduced.Robert

Boolit Master
    I think the repro's are out there for collectors who can't get an original. I understand that.

When they start offering non-original configurations, like target sights or such, that's when it'll become totally ridiculous.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

saw that too,, that price is fine if you are trying to fill a gap in a collection and have a surplus of cash,, but certainly not inline for those of us that might want to actually shoot for fun.

the originals supposedly go for over $2500.00 now!
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Got my issue of The Rifleman mag. from the NRA today. Couldn`t believe someone is making copies of the single shot .45 acp "Liberator" pistol. What I found even more eye popping was they will be sold for $599! They cost a few cents over $2 to make in the first place, now they cost $599. Never knew that a single shot VERY close range pistol that actually tore up your hand shooting it would be reproduced.Robert

I got mine a couple days ago, but hadn't had a chance to read it just yet. I went and found the article after I saw your post.

I'm surprised to see that they cost the government over $2 back in the 40's. I'd think that you could stamp out something along those lines for just a couple bucks in today's money.

For a hundred or so, I'd love to have a working reproduction. For $600, I could get a much nicer piece to put into my collection.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

I saw the article, too, and immediately thought that cost probably represents a lot of reverse engineering, etc.
    That, and that is probably what our dollar is comparatively worth due to poor money management & inflation causing practices of our government since then.

Must be solely a "collector's substitute"- ain't no way a sane person would consider it other wise.
    USMC 1980-1985

I shot a Liberator some years ago, not very pleasant experance! Nearly jumped out of my hand! Was aiming at a side of a larg hill and I think I MISSED it!

Is the reproduction a smooth-bore like the original?

$600, hum, CMP Garand or a Liberator replica? Tough choice.
    "The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Landric

Honcho for NOE .38-200 Mk. I British Round Nose Group Buy

Boolit Master
    Reckon wonder how a 2" smoothbore would shoot with a Miha H&G 68?

Boolit Master

i saw a prototype about a year ago ! a friend had it , he had something to do with it ? he fired it at the gun club
    i also think the only reason anyone woud want woud to fill a gap in a collection

Boolit Master

I saw an original in the drop box (small metal can) with small instruction sheets in several languages and the 5 original cartridges in wrapper it was In Denver at the Colorado Gun Collectors Show. The asking price was $1875. I saw a very nice merkel drilling for the same money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Is the reproduction a smooth-bore like the original?

$600, hum, CMP Garand or a Liberator replica? Tough choice.
    It would not be legal to make it a smooth bore. To have one in a smooth bore under todays law would require a $200 stamp just like a machine gun.

It's rifled, but I still think I'll pass on this. http://www.vintageordnance.com/

Our reproduction has a rifled barrel and discrete markings to comply with Federal law and hopefully prevent it from being unscrupulously sold as an original antique.

Boolit Master
    I saw one of the repros as well. The barrel is rifled, and they're being sold with the firing pin hole 90% drilled. They only drill 90% for liability reasons, if you drill it the rest of the way, it's your own fault what happens to you when you shoot it.

JTManley, that was actually a pretty good price! I've seen guns without the original flyer or ammo, but with pressboard box selling for $2500+

I will never own one of these, but I have to admit, it would be neat.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Bub
    If you are ever in Anderson Indiana ----north and east of Indy on I-69; there is a small private military museum there in an old industrial park area. It's been several years since I visited it and I don't recall the name.
    However Anderson was the home of the (GE???) "Guide Lamp" plant which as a part of its WW2 war production did sheet metal work and fabrication. That was where the Liberator pistol was made. The museum had a number of examples in various stages of assembly as well as jigs and a lot of paperwork as well as the finished product and its shipping and drop packages. It was designed as a very close range weapon with the intent that it be used to take our a German or Japanese soldier in order to take his 'real" weapon. It is my understanding that they were mostly used in the Philippines in readying for the re-invasion, and that in limited quantities.

The price reflects the fact that it costs the same amount of money to produce a metal forming die for 1 part as it does a die that will produce thousands of parts. The cost of that gun is in the reverse engineering, and tooling. I'm sure if you factored in all the money spent on tooling for the originals, and compared that to the number of guns they actually produced the cost back then would have been more too. That is one of the reasons that it is hard for manufacturers to produce guns for more specialized markets. The guy producing these guns wants to make sure he gets his tooling costs back in the limited market he has.

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    This actually raises an interesting question: ….Do you think that there would be a market for an ultra low cost, single shot defensive pistol???

…..I’m envisioning a die-cast handgrip/receiver (with “nice” ergonomics), a “thread-in” barrel for reloading, and a hand cocked striker that rotates to provide a locked “Safety” position. Various barrel lengths and calibers could be easily offered, and with its solidly fixed barrel, it could potentially be a very accurate weapon. (The Ultimate Tackle Box Gun!)

I figure that such a pistol could probably be produced to sell for $24.95. ($19.95 without the product liability insurance! LOL!)

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Master

Here's my take on the 600-dollar price tag on that gun...LAWYERS, LITIGATION, LAW SUITS, INSURANCE, LICENSES, PERMITS, TAXES...

Might have been better off making a non-firing replica and avoid the politicians, bureaucrats and lawyers! Without them, the price would be more like 100 bucks!

Boolit Master
    I downloaded the plans for a Liberator and printed them off once. I quickly learned that there is a very big difference between a simple gun and a crude gun. This one is crude, but not simple. The stamping dies for that one must be unbelievable. Only an advanced manufacturing facility could produce them.

As I was going though the parts, I tried to figure out how the trigger, sear, and spacer for the hammer spring worked together. I never did figure that out. There has to be something there that is not shown. If anyone can explain it, I am interested.

BTW, there are also some obvious errors on the plans that are on the internet. I have absolutely no doubt that they had to buy an original to take it apart and reverse engineer it. It cannot be built from what is shown out there.

I know of someone who has an original parts list with all the code named parts. I can ask if he has a set of plans as well. They go along with his liberator, full box of original ammo, drop box, and even the original wooden dowel for extraction.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Banned
    neat little pistols GM made smooth bore

i dont think it shoot to good it was made as a throw away gun
    with a seamless tube for a barrel

maybe round ball and shot loads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast