Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin XL-7 270 to 35 Whelen and BOYDS Ross FT Thumb Hole Stock

Marlin XL-7 270 to 35 Whelen and BOYDS Ross FT Thumb Hole Stock

I hope to make this my new Cast BOOLIT Rifle. . Long Live the 35 Whelen. On a side note this is ALL BLAMMERS FAULT lol.

For the full deal look here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91686
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 01-21-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Bump or maybe I put this in the wrong section.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

very nice looking!

let us know how it shoots.

Boolit Master

Very nice. I am getting a plain ol' 700 Remington.

Doug

A Remington 700 is not just a plain ol Remington lol. They are nice rifles. Just down here in South Texas I have never seen a 35 Whelen anything lol. And most times if I ask people about the 35 Whelen they look at me like I am from Mars and say they never heard of a 35 Whelen lol.

Of Which I have to thank this forum and people like Blammer and 357Maximum and others that gave me a chance to not only hear of these new to me calibers but how great they are.

Boolit Master
    I likey too much... Wish I had a 358 Win.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Airborne I am trying to figure out a way to also have a 358

I am still kicking around either to change an old Remington MoHawk 600 to .358 Winchester or trying to find a deal on a Short Action Marlin XS to do the conversion on.

Sad though that Midway no longer has the A&B ( Shaw ) barrels in 35 Whelen or .358 Winchester as it now says they were discontinued.

Cast Hunter

Very nice. I'm thinking about getting a 35 Whelen in a TC ProHunter. I have a .358 Win now and think it needs a big brother.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Jester, Just go to the source

Shaw Barrels.

Good folks and they are nice to deal with.
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

TwoTrees Thank You for the link.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Airborne I am trying to figure out a way to also have a 358

I am still kicking around either to change an old Remington MoHawk 600 to .358 Winchester or trying to find a deal on a Short Action Marlin XS to do the conversion on.

Sad though that Midway no longer has the A&B ( Shaw ) barrels in 35 Whelen or .358 Winchester as it now says they were discontinued.
    Due to encroaching old age and too many guns, I may be thinking of selling off a couple of rifles in .358 Win. Both rifles are Ruger M77 tang safety guns in .358 Win. There is also a BLR and a Savage M99 in .358. I'll probably keep the Savage for a while but the others will probably come up for sale. There will be others in several calibers that will be going down the road as I thin the herd. If I should croak, neither my wife of my kids have any idea what to do with all my guns so I've decided to sell off most of what I have and use the money for a coiple of very nice hunting trips for big game. With luck, I might get enough to have my dream hunt, Africa.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Sorry for the bad pictures and all the holes lol. But my Friend up in Utah said it was a little rough just to get down to where the targets are through all the snow lol. But it does show just how well that ole 35 Whelen can do even if they are J word bullets for now. But I think 1/2 inch groups or so is not that bad.

Boolit Master
    The beautiful thing about a 35 isn't how they look.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

And it does not hurt if the Rifle looks as good as it Shoots lol. Thus far it has given me great confidence to use the 35 Whelen for Hunting Anything.

I can hardly wait to use it on some HOGS this summer.

Boolit Grand Master
    look in the Nosler manual for a cool description of the cal
    My son has one I have a 358 win
    His is a 700 classic mine is a converted win mod 70 compact
    that is about the perfect set up like Bruce Lee compact light packs a hell of a punch
    you can get prefit barrels from Pac-nor that require minimal machine work
    to headspace correctly
    You have a very nice looking rifle
    I do like the thumbhole stocks
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Thank You White Eagle.

I plan to have a .358 Win Build going soon on a Stevens 200/Savage 10 action. I have the barrel which is the A&B (Shaw) Barrel in 1-14 Hvy Mag Contour that was cut down from 24 inches to 20 inches. I am also going to put that one in a BOYD's thumb hole stock but in Limited Harvest. And probably spray it with Duracoat Titanium Silver.

Academy may still have the sale going on for the Stevens 200 in 7MM-08 and .270 Win for $179.95. As I have heard that Savage is going to discontinue the Stevens 200 line. And replace it with the Argggggggg Edge/Axis or whatever they are calling them now lol.

I just could not pass up that price for a good action to build on.

I wanted to add I put in an order tonight for the BOYD'S ROSS FT Savage 10 Blind MAG Short Action Staggered Feed in Limited Harvest. For the up coming .358 Winchester build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boyds Stock Orange.jpg  
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 04-20-2011 at 02:32 AM.

A couple of updated pictures right before it went into the Box lol. It has been a long wait but I feel it will be worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2814.jpg   IMG_2815.jpg  

Well I thought I would update this since this Rifle is going to have a couple of Mods made. I am going to have it re-chambered from 35 Whelen to 35 Whelen Ackley Improved as well as a Brownells Shrewd Muzzle brake installed and then the whole action will be covered with Dura-Coat HK Black.

This is the First picture of the work being done. The barrel is still 24" just threaded for the installation of the Shrewd Muzzle Brake.

If there is any interest I will update this thread as work is completed?

Banned

yes update it for us.

as you see I finally got my whelen shooting.

You did Where?

Sorry to say though that my 35 Whelen AI will not be a cast boolit rifle. I am going to use my Savage 358 Winchester for Cast Boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    yes update it for us.

as you see I finally got my whelen shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast