WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester (Miroku) 1885 Scope Questions

Winchester (Miroku) 1885 Scope Questions

Can someone show me a picture of an 1885 with a smallish (say, 2-7x32mm) modern scope and mounts on this rifle? What bases? Rings?

Yeah, I know, sacreligious, but I can't see irons. Thanks. -WSJ

Leupold makes a base set for the Japanese (Miroku) Winchester 1885 rifle with octagon barrel. Graf & Sons has them for $18.59. They'll take standard Leupold rings. Sorry, I don't have a picture of my 1885 Hi-Wall when I had a modern scope mounted.

Thanks. I saw the Leupold's on CDNN also for $15 or so also. I was hoping to go with Weaver style rings just because I like them better. I was agonizing about whether to order a scope and was hoping to see if a scoped rifle looked goofy (no offense, everything I own except my old M94 has a scope).

Someone here told me that Weaver #29 & #11 bases would work solast night I ordered a 1.5-5x32 scope and Burris Zee medium (Weaver style) rings and a a Weaver #29 base. Unfortunately Natchez was out of the #11 so I didn't get it. Midway or someoone will have it and we'll see how it goes.

BTW if anyone's looking for a decent scope at a great priceee, Natchez has the Nitrex (Weaver Grand Slam clones) scopes clearanced for less than half the price of the GS, plus a $50 rebate. The one I ordered will be $80.

-WSJ

Boolit Master

Talking

Here is two pictures of mine with scopes. The Highwall in 30-30Win has the Weaver scope mounts with a 24X Redfield 3200 target scope and the Lowwall in 260Rem has the Leupold rings with a Shepherd scope.
    Last edited by Doc Highwall; 05-16-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wsjones View Post
    Can someone show me a picture of an 1885 with a smallish (say, 2-7x32mm) modern scope and mounts on this rifle? What bases? Rings?

I just went through this without success.

See here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=97860

On my 1885 Trapper the barrel's round, so the front mount of the Leupolds won't work, being engineered for the flat top of the octogonal tube.

Same problem w/ the Weavers. The front mount is for an octogonal barrel. Plus, it looked "off," like it would need significant shimming.

Custom mounts might be the only real solution for round barrelled 1885s.
    Underneath our starry, starry flag,
    We civilized 'em with a Krag.

scope photos

well i just installed this scope on my 1885 winchester hiwall "traditional hunter" model. the scope mts from leopold fit great. my eyes are getting fuzzy or maybe the world is just fuzzy and i havnt cought up yet...cant figure which...anyway here is my answer to a foggy world. its a leopold 6x to 18x and i bet that the 300yd bull will come in clearer now...lol

i thought i had the front mt on correctly with it turned the other way but the taper of my barrel made it arch the rear of my scope up in the air by 1/4 inch so i tryed it turned this way and shazam...perfect. i shimmed the rear mt with .025 shim and everything came out groovy. lucky i had the length to mount this way on my scope and as you can see it just did fit. the mount number is leopold # 50012

oh and rings are the leopold rings...medium height ...nice firm settup.

anyway whether it looks goofy or not im gonna enjoy this dynamite rifle and continue with my experiments with black powder n such with it.

good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out and also the accuracy with the clearer field of view.

I got the burris bases and signature rings.Put +20 and -20 ring inserts in back ring.Plus 20 on bottom and -20 on top.Looks good,has 3x9 leupold scope.The rear base doesn't over hang the falling block.I tried the weaver bases,wouldn't work without shimming.

Quote Originally Posted by 45r View Post
    I got the burris bases and signature rings.Put +20 and -20 ring inserts in back ring.Plus 20 on bottom and -20 on top.Looks good,has 3x9 leupold scope.The rear base doesn't over hang the falling block.I tried the weaver bases,wouldn't work without shimming.
    That's what I should have done too. The Weaver bases and regular Zee rings weren't good, and although the Leupold bases work, the rear base does hang out over the falling block. No great impediment, but not as nice and clean looking as the Weaver base and Burris Signature would have been. I may change it later but for the moment it's working and I'm shooting.

Thanks all. -WSJ

I used Leupold bases and rings to put a 36x Leupold on my .32-40 for load testing and they work great.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Sgt 2111 View Post
    I used Leupold bases and rings to put a 36x Leupold on my .32-40 for load testing and they work great.
    Yep, no problem with their function, just more base than the Weaver style and not as clean looking.

Boolit Buddy
    brownells has them. dont recall the price.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by irishtoo View Post
    brownells has them. dont recall the price.
    I hope after three years he's not still looking for them?

Boolit Master
    You might think about a tang sight or a William's 1885 receiver sight instead of a barrel sight. I have used both with out problems and I have been far sighted for decades.

I also have a an 85 with a fixed Leupold 12X about the size of Teds.
    My bases and rings were those made by Burris for Browning and they worked great.
    With a variable I think I would have needed the Burris Signature rings.

EDG

Boolit Master
    I have a Win/Mir 1885 and wanted a scope that was very good quality and didn't dwarf the gun when mounted. I researched it for quite a while and ended up with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36. It has superb optics and fits the gun perfectly. I used the Leupold mounts and they mounted with no problems. One mount is extended. I'm very satisfied with this set up and wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it over again.
    Attachment 88032

Boolit Mold
    [QUOTE=NSB;2484987]I have a Win/Mir 1885 and wanted a scope that was very good quality and didn't dwarf the gun when mounted. I researched it for quite a while and ended up with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36. It has superb optics and fits the gun perfectly. I used the Leupold mounts and they mounted with no problems. One mount is extended. I'm very satisfied with this set up and wouldn't change a thing.

Boolit Mold
    Miruku Browning Tradition 1885 in 45-70. Old eyes no longer that great for steel sights. The Leupold base mounts 50012 will work only if the buckhorn sight is removed from the dovetail in the barrel,and the front Leupold base-mount is reversed placing it in the more forward position of the screw holes in the tapered barrel.Otherwise the rear base mount will be a lot lower not allowing for proper scope alignment.Hope I clarified things a little.

ROD

Boolit Master

Good info if someone is searching but the OP asked about this back in 2011, I am not dissing anyone for replying I just wanted to point out this thread was started over six year go.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Mold
    Big Ted I'm in Lebanon,Or and it would be great to compare notes with you on the 1885. Mine is a Miroku traditional hunter in 405 win. Big owl

Boolit Man
    Do yourself a favor and call Montana Vintage Arms. They can sell you a period correct mount and scope.You might be into it for a few hundred bucks but it will be something you can be proud to have on your rifle

Boolit Master

Folks that question was asked over EIGHT YEARS AGO!

Besides a "period correct" scope and mount for a modern Miroku 1885 is pretty much any modern scope and mount since the Newer Browning/Winchester 1885's are truly modern rifles that bear only a passing resemblance to the original 1885's. They are somewhat similar, but by no means identical, on the outside to an original 1885 and internally the action is a totally and completely different design. Certainly no reason not to use an old style scope/mount if a person wants one but certainly nothing "sacrilegious" about using a modern scope either on this very modern rifle as the OP seemed to be so concerned about.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot