RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wc872

Boolit Master

i have both wc860/872 both work well in my 45-70 with a 350 grain bullet but alot of unburned powder left. im using 55grains would 2/3 grains of red dot for a kicker be ok or would i need to reduce my main charge too

Boolit Master

wgr, does 55 grains fill the case to the bottom of the boolit? If you are thinking of working up a duplex load, make sure that the case is full so that the two powders can't move around and mix.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Moderator Emeritus

the red dot should be fine but as Jim states, make sure you have enough compression to keep the red dot held firmly against the primer. I made some pop-gun loads using 5gr of Promo and 25gr of wcc860 with a 1/2 vegetable wad over that, then the boolit to compress the powder charge and wad. They get about 700fps. My daughter calls it the giant 22 because it has about the recoil of a 22lr and you can watch the bullet and wad travel down range. Not a long range load by any estimate but fun to bust tennis balls at 25-50 yards with.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    wgr, does 55 grains fill the case to the bottom of the boolit? If you are thinking of working up a duplex load, make sure that the case is full so that the two powders can't move around and mix.
    55 grains comes to about 1/2 in. of the case mouth. another 4or5 grains would be allmost a full case

Boolit Master

this warning is at the top of the page and is worth repeating.
    View these pages and use the listed data at your own risk. The load data contained within these pages can be submitted by anyone on the Internet and it is not verified to be safe.
    wiljen said it better than I did. You want enough compression to keep things from moving around. However, compressed loads can get you in trouble as well. Filling the case just to the bottom of the seated boolit is loading to 100%. You would probably be OK with loading to 101% or 102%

You might also look at using a slower powder than red dot. All you are looking for is to get all of the powder burned by the end of the barrel. I read a thread (that I can't find now) about using a slower powder as a kicker and the rationale behind doing so.

Before you start working up a duplex load, please do yourself a favor and research what you are doing and then think about it some before jumping right in with someone else's load. Also research the difference between compression and compaction of gunpowder. You are going to run into both of those terms in your research.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

i have alot of slower powder like 110/296 or even slower. i have no problem with the way it shoots now for paper but would like a little more for hunting thinks bill

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    WC872/WC860/IMR5010 all have worked for me in the 45/70 just put a .5cc Lee dipper of unique in the bottom and fill it until you compress the powder about 1/16" and crimp will put a 500gr boolit right at 1400/1450 fps. if you use lighter boolits add enough powder to compress that little bit.
    Do not use the boolit to compress as it makes them too fat to load in the chamber, do not ask how I know this!
    Could I do something like this with a 458 Win Mag using 340gr, 405gr or 500gr cast from wheel weights?

Michael Grace

Moderator Emeritus

Yep 458 WM will work just like the 45-70 in this situation.

Vendor Sponsor
    You might also look at using a slower powder than red dot.

I have used 5 gr of 3031 beneath a case load of WC860 in my 338-06 and a 250gr lbt wfn. No more unburned powder, but I really can't say that there was a significant or even noticeable increase in pressure or velocity.

Moderator Emeritus

Don't use 110/296 as a kicker charge. Ball powders can migrate even under compression. Use a flake or stick powder that is less subject to movement.

Boolit Mold
    I got 48lbs of the stuff. Used it in some 45-70 duplex loads with great satisfaction. Also works great in my 7mm STW.....Will get 48lbs more where as I need it or not.
    "It's better to have it and not need it,than to need it and not have it."

Boolit Master
    So the 872 is okay for .30-06 in my Garand? And you're stating that I would need a magnum primer to set it off. I need to find a cheaper load for my M1 and if this powder fits the bill, then I'd like to try it. I don't know about compression since too much would adversly affect the brass. Would loading to just 100% be okay. Thanks. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Caster View Post
    So the 872 is okay for .30-06 in my Garand? And you're stating that I would need a magnum primer to set it off. I need to find a cheaper load for my M1 and if this powder fits the bill, then I'd like to try it. I don't know about compression since too much would adversly affect the brass. Would loading to just 100% be okay. Thanks. BC
    ............I don't think that either WC860 or WC872 would be optimal in the Garand. It's sensitive to port pressure (because of that looooooong op rod). It COULD be possible I suppose? If you had a bolt gun in 30-'06 you could do some experimenting with it before trying it out in the Garand. You might end up with a partial load of WC872 over 3/0 grs of 4198 (what I use for a kicker) and then the balance of the case filled with shotshell buffer

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Is it gonna be slow enough to user in a trapdoor with 405 Or 500 gr bool it's?

Wondering if this stuff would work for the 6-06 I have been wanting to build, maybe even make it a 6mm-300 on a 300 win mag case.

Michael Grace

Boolit Buddy
    Yes it will Michael. Look for an article from Siegfried sboug thd 6mm Mach IV.

Aaron

Boolit Master
    It is about 6 weeks shipping time from jeff right now

Boolit Master
    Widener's showing 8# jugs it in stock for $46

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    How well do you think the WC872 will work with a 338 RUM????

Moderator Emeritus

Should be a great choice in the RUM series of cartridges.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast