RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wc872

Boolit Buddy
    My brother is looking at mil-surp for reloading his 338 RUM. So far I can't find anyone who has had experience with wc860, wc870, or wc872 with this round.
    Anyone have any ideas. I tried looking up start loads with aa8700 and H870 but haven't been able to find any information out there.

Boolit Master
    300rum shows 105 for most loads. Remember it's temp sensitive. Don't ever use max loads

I tried using W872 in my 8mm Remington mag and had problems with unburned powder and inconsistent velocity spreads. My thoughts were the powder was just too slow for this cartridge.

It works well enough in my 7mm RM, but I have only tried it with the 175 grain bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Widener's has 8lb's for $46 and free hazmat if you buy qty 6.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Old topic, but as this is one of the few surplus powders still readily available, thought I'd bring back to the top.

I played with it a bit and had mixed results, and decided this week to work up a load with 8X56R for my M.95 carbine. Never had good accuracy with the carbine using the fast powders.

Started at 46 gr with Pufflon filling the space to the case neck, WLR primers. The more powder, the tighter the group got. Happiness was 56 gr with the Pufflon. Lee 329 mold lapped out to .332, lubed with 50/50 alox/beeswax and gas checked. As I got the charges higher- the base of the neck will be around 62 gr I find- the group started to open up again.

I do NOT think that a 'case full' of this stuff is the best load. i've never had luck that way. I DO think that as it's such a slow powder, if you aren't at least 3/4 full, a filler is needed to mitigate the SEE chance. It is however a good powder.

I don't know what to say about the economy of it though. It's $48/8 lb even now, but with s/h/hazmat, unless you're getting some other stuff too, it's likely to run you $80/8 lb delivered, which is still dirt cheap... but figuring that, you are around 8 cents per shot. If you go the route of using a fast commercial powder purchased at a store, at $25/lb, figuring 20 gr of 5744 or something like that, the cost per shot is so close to the same as to be negligible in difference. So it's no great deal in the end unless you can get it in person, but it is a good tool in our arsenal.

Moderator Emeritus

In the '06 cases I have had best results with case full loads. I may or may not use a kicker, usually 4198.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    43 grs. over a 3 gr. unique kicker with the Lee 200 gr. gc cast bullet and a puff of cotton filler operates the action of my M1 with acceptable accuracy from a 1942 barrel.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    With the kicker, do you get any unburned powder? I gave up on it in semi autos because of this, and said unburned kernels getting into the chamber. I'd revisit it though if the kicker gives clean ignition.

Boolit Master
    jonk: Yeah, there's always a few kernels that find their way into the chamber, and if not removed will eventually keep a round from chambering. I have a bunch of those little cotton balls on a wire that Midway sells, and I run one into the chamber and back out after every clip. The kicker helps to keep unburned powder to a minimum and I don't get a chambering failure in 8 rounds.

Boolit Buddy
    6.5x55 data/experiences ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedly View Post
    6.5x55 data/experiences ?
    It will work but it wont make top velocity. My lot of wc-860 is so slow that it even gave slow vel in a long barreled 6.5/284 with the sierra 155 gr mk. That was with 60 gr at 2500 fps IIRC. Have data somewhere if yor interested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3186.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	155081

Worked in the office all weekend. Had a short window this afternoon and loaded these cases in haste, the COAL was not constant. 60 grains of WC872, WLRM primers and Lees 405 grain hollow based bullet. I may up the charge a grain or 2 to get more compression and see if the burn cleans up a bit. I'll be sure to get more fussy with the loads and to trim the cases, this has promise and I can shoot for barely more than the cost of primers. REally the burn was not bad at all and a simple blow in the chamber made sure each cartridge was easy to load.

100 yard target, 1879 rear sight. Very mild recoil, very mild.

Boolit Grand Master

Mark, that load looks very good and you are on the right track. I haven't loaded any for my 40-65 in quite awhile but it did shoot very accurately.
    I'll have to cast some more of the Snover 400 gr boolits for the Pedersoli RB and have some more fun.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    which is a faster powder 872 or 867? Id like to try some in the 257 264 7mag 300 mag ect. Or would 860 be a better choise for this? thinking jacketed not cast.
    I use the 860 in my 264 WM with good results. However, my 264 has a 30" barrel.

Boolit Master
    I've just started working with WC872 in .308 with a jug I bought from Jeff at Knob Creek.
    A 3.4cc Lee dipper is about 50 grains and fills the cases to about mid-neck. Seems to shoot well in my Mauser '98 with a Lee 200 grain boolit, powder coated HF Red, gas checked and sized .309". Leaves a bit of unburned powder, but not an extreme amount.
    To clean it up for my FAL I added .5cc of Vectan AO as a kicker and reduced the main charge to 3.1cc (~45 grains). That cleaned it up nicely and it shoots and functions great in my FAL.

Boolit Buddy
    I just loaded five cartridges 45-70 for a first test of this stuff. Could only get 54.5 gr under a RCBS rnfp gas check boolet. These weigh 422 gr fully dressed and lubed. Will see how they do in a Browning 86 SRC. Primed with mag primers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    I don't know what to say about the economy of it though. It's $48/8 lb even now, but with s/h/hazmat, unless you're getting some other stuff too, it's likely to run you $80/8 lb delivered, which is still dirt cheap... but figuring that, you are around 8 cents per shot. If you go the route of using a fast commercial powder purchased at a store, at $25/lb, figuring 20 gr of 5744 or something like that, the cost per shot is so close to the same as to be negligible in difference. So it's no great deal in the end unless you can get it in person, but it is a good tool in our arsenal.
    GIBRASS has it... Jeff sells 6 8lb kegs for $40 ea ($240 total, 48 lbs), no haz-mat with a 6 keg order... That reduces the cost per round substantially when an 8lb keg of many powders can run between $150-$200 after haz-mat is added.
    Jeff's a fine fella to do business with, too.

Boolit Buddy
    Shot my test loads today (54.5 gr wc872 behind a 422 gr gas check ). Extremely happy with this first outing. Without changing the Willaims peep sight setting which had been sighted in with a 300 gr JHP over a stiff load of RL 7, it shot to POA at 100 yds. Nice group under 2". Ordering six 8# jugs including shipping just under $7 a pound.

Boolit Master
    Anyone ever use this is 762x54r?

Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    Anyone ever use this is 762x54r?
    Search our archives for Buckshot's posts on WC 872 in .30-06 sized cartridges or PM him directly for that data.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast