Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wc872

Smile Wc872

Jeff Barlett at www.gibrass.com is showing WC872 at $6 per pound.

Look again, I see $48.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

$6 per pound times 8 pounds = $48, looks right to me!

That is half of what it for sale elsewhere. One of my favorite cast bullet powders.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Hee, hee, of course you were right, what was I thinking? That stuff sure is Krag friendly, just fill it up, load and fire.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Works in my 40-65 Rolling Block with 400 gr cast and my Encore 7mm Rem Mag with jacketed.

Going to try it in the 30-06 with cast. Don't know about using it in the 22K Hornet with cast, will have to think on that some.

50/WC872/311284 loaded in the 30-40 Krag case will deliver 1.9 to 2 K fps depending on rifle and barrel length. Accuracy is always, excellent providing you have done the bullet right. There will be a little unburned powder, but just flow it out every few rounds and keep on firing.

50/WC872/1cc of PSB is my accuracy load with just about any bullet in the 30-06. The same for the .308, but no PSB needed..

This powder is too slow for any case that uses less than about 40 grains. The Hornet case would be a total bust with this powder. I have used in in the 30-30 but it required a small kicker charge of 30-31 to burn and get decent accuracy.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Forget the K-Hornet. I tried it with a caseful in my 6x45. You don't want to go there.

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    50/WC872/311284 loaded in the 30-40 Krag case will deliver 1.9 to 2 K fps depending on rifle and barrel length. Accuracy is always, excellent providing you have done the bullet right. There will be a little unburned powder, but just flow it out every few rounds and keep on firing.

50/WC872/1cc of PSB is my accuracy load with just about any bullet in the 30-06. The same for the .308, but no PSB needed..

This powder is too slow for any case that uses less than about 40 grains. The Hornet case would be a total bust with this powder. I have used in in the 30-30 but it required a small kicker charge of 30-31 to burn and get decent accuracy.
    Pardon the (probably) stupid question, but what is PSB?

Duplex load of some sort i'm assuming?

I have about 6lbs of this that I bought for my 7mm mag that I don't think i'll ever use so I might as well try some in my Garand with the gas plug removed.

Ole.. Not a stupid question at all. PSB is Precision Shotshell Buffer sold by Precision Reloading. It is a very very fine plastic balls added on top of the powder as a filler to hold the powder under compression. Winchester's Super Grex (discontinued) and SuperSam are similar products.

I have never used WC872 in the Garand rifle. However, in my notes is a load of 62/WC872/311467 as a good cast bullet load with this powder in the Garand! I got this from somebody else and have never tried it. It is on my "to try" list when I get my round tuit. This is a full case load and does not require and PSB.

WC872 only works well, when it is under light compression. You want a good tight powder column. Too much compression will buckle the case neck. You want enough powder, compacted down, with still enough room in the neck to seat the bullet giving light compression without buckling the case.

It is advisable to use a long (24") drop tube to compact the powder enough to create the room to seat a bullet. I also take a loading block full of charged cases and set it on top of my vibrating case cleaner for a couple of second. This will also settle the powder well.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 01-10-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

And be sure to use a magnum primer with this powder. I know from experience that using standard primers does not work all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Pardon the (probably) stupid question, but what is PSB?

Duplex load of some sort i'm assuming?

I have about 6lbs of this that I bought for my 7mm mag that I don't think i'll ever use so I might as well try some in my Garand with the gas plug removed.
    With a heavy bullet like the 311284, you wouldn't have to remove the gasplug. Because start pressure of a caseful is so low, port pressure remains within limits. It'll get you going about 2000fps. you don't wanna go overboard on compressing this powder, it doesn't take much compression for the shoulders on your cases to start getting bigger. I found that out by loading a few with 53grs under the 311284 seated to the crimp groove. Good thing I have a buddy who has a rifle chambered in 30/40AI.

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

WC872 has been working great for me in the 50BMG with both cast and jacketed bullets. I think Widener's had it for <$50/8lbs. I bought 6 of them. The BMG uses about 220gr every time you pull the trigger. The 6.5 Swede is next.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone with experience using it in the 8x56R Steyr? I know, start with 30-06 start loads, but has anyone done any work with it?

How about with the 7.5 Swiss? Those will be two of my first attempts with any non-canister powder.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Buckshot has some data on the 8x56 using this surplus powder on castpics 54gr, 205gr boolit, 1650fps.

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    WC872/WC860/IMR5010 all have worked for me in the 45/70 just put a .5cc Lee dipper of unique in the bottom and fill it until you compress the powder about 1/16" and crimp will put a 500gr boolit right at 1400/1450 fps. if you use lighter boolits add enough powder to compress that little bit.
    Do not use the boolit to compress as it makes them too fat to load in the chamber, do not ask how I know this!
    Hey Freightman,
    I am looking at trying to use WC872 to work up a load for my Roller in 45-70. I am shooting a 545 grain cast boolit with 72 grains of compressed Swiss black powder right now. This is a good load but I want to find a smokless load that will work with this boolit/rifle combo to sub in when I dont need to shoot black. Some of the matches I shoot are black only and some not. With the heavier boolit do you think the load you listed will work. What alloy are you using for the boolits you are using and do you use gas checks or a wad of any kind?

Banned

which is a faster powder 872 or 867? Id like to try some in the 257 264 7mag 300 mag ect. Or would 860 be a better choise for this? thinking jacketed not cast.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 02-26-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    which is a faster powder 872 or 867? Id like to try some in the 257 264 7mag 300 mag ect. Or would 860 be a better choise for this? thinking jacketed not cast.

Try whichever of the 3 you can get cheapest as there is not enough difference to matter and quite frankly one lot of 872 is faster than one lot of 860 and vice versa. No real way to say conclusively which is faster without knowing every lot of all versions. On paper, 860 should be slightly faster as the original load data is a 2gr reduction from 872 if memory serves right. Realistically, 2gr difference in a 255gr load means there is no difference in the two. I think all the 860s and 870s could be thought of as 1 powder with normal lot to lot variation.

Hope that helps.

Wiljen
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Banned

thanks pal.

Boolit Buddy
    Lloyd

I've done some testing with that case family size with wc 867 from Weidners in my girlfriends 270 Weatherby.
    Using a 140gr Barnes TSX, 80 grs gave 3083fps, 81grs gave 3146fps, and 84grs gave 3255fps, which was all I could fit in. I will be using around 81grs for a working load. Depending on which manual look at, 3250 fps is max velocity for this bullet. This is with Weatherby's long throat.

338 Win mag did 2525fps with a 250 gr Sierra BT using 80 grs.

Other case sizes--416 Rigby 400gr Hornady 114grs gives 2429. Fps and 115 grs gives 2538 fps
    338/378 Kugla Kahn 119 grs gives 3315 fps to a 230 Failsafe

Aaron