Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: NOE 311 247Gr. FN Whisper

Boolit Master
    Swede,

Put me down for a Four cavity mould $85.00 Ea., all plain base cavities. Thanks.

Don

Boolit Master

I can see that in some way shape of from I will end up with a need for this so put me down for a 4 cavity all gaschecked.

Thanks,

Neal in AZ

Boolit Master

Im really glad to see all the new members joining for this buy. I hope you will all stick around and add to the knowlege base of this great forum.
    You have created a great opporatunity here Swede, thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    Im really glad to see all the new members joining for this buy. I hope you will all stick around and add to the knowlege base of this great forum.
    You have created a great opporatunity here Swede, thankyou.
    Is this the most successful group buy yet?
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thehouseproduct View Post
    Is this the most successful group buy yet?
    Not even close, but we do still have a while to go. Will keep passing the word to other fellow whisper nuts...

Gday swede, I hope you have received my paypal payment by now.
    I hope my payments does not go walkabout into the digital oblivion..

Have not yet see any update on either the list of payment received or the production schedule..

Swede, I am #12 on the list and this is my second request to have my order changed to:
    2 GC, 2 PB and hp on one of the GC cavities please.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone know if this might work well in a .300 BLK if sized to .309? It's a lot heavier than the bullets used in the early ammo being produced for it, but I have been thinking of building a carbine and I like the idea of running a heavy bullet. I haven't given up on the .300 Whisper, but I have been leaning towards this new round as of late...
    - Chris
    (a.k.a. "OB1" or "rigormootis" on some forums)
    NRA Lifer / Certified Instructor & USMC veteran

Quote Originally Posted by warriorsociologist View Post
    Anyone know if this might work well in a .300 BLK if sized to .309? It's a lot heavier than the bullets used in the early ammo being produced for it, but I have been thinking of building a carbine and I like the idea of running a heavy bullet. I haven't given up on the .300 Whisper, but I have been leaning towards this new round as of late...
    This is designed for 300 Whisper, which is what AAC formalized under the 300BLK name. The heavier weight will help keep pressures high enough to cycle the AR action with the decreased friction of a lead boolit. At least that's what I'm counting on.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting -- so the .300BLK is simply the new "official" designation of what we've all been calling the .300 Whisper / .300-.221 Fireball?
    - Chris
    (a.k.a. "OB1" or "rigormootis" on some forums)
    NRA Lifer / Certified Instructor & USMC veteran

300 Whisper is a specific set of dimensions and name for them owned by JD Jones - the 300 fireball, 30-221 fireball etc were ways of making something very slightly different from what JD Jones had so they didn't have to pay him anything - his attitude is what held the 300 whisper back IMHO. Remington also just slightly altered the 300 whisper design put their name on it (.300BLK) and are producing factory ammo without having to pay JD Jones any money on each round produced - Thompson Center produced chambered guns/barrles under 300 Whisper, so they had to get JD's permission and pay him off. And Corbon and RCBS the same - anything with 300 whisper on it JD has to sign off on and you have to pay his pound of flesh - but to give credit where it's due it was his baby and he can grow it up any way he wants too. But he had to know someone was going to be cheap enough to change the design and make it cheaper for everyone. I'm glad Remington did it, and they are making suppressor friendly weapons now. But I worry about their parent company owing so many fine old firearm firms.

Bump, just in case it is missed by some newer visitors.

I've read that the rib on the magazine rubs on the bullet ogive in 300BLK/whisper instead of the neck in 223.I read that where it rubs the ogive diameter needs to be around .250 to feed the best.Does this design have that built in.
    Last edited by 45r; 02-05-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Most 223 magazines for AR type rifles have ribs to keep the cartridges stable in the magazine so feed is more sure fire (yep a pun). Each maker's magazine differs slightly.

Existing AR magazines have a rib which normally contacts the 5.56mm case-neck/shoulder area too keep the cartridges from bumping forward.
    With 300 BLK ammo, the contact is on the bullet. Because the bullet is a larger diameter, the rib will push the cartridges out of alignment, and can lead to binding potentially resulting in Failures to Feed.

For this reason, it is important to load ammunition so that the contact point with the magazine rib is on the bullet ogive in an area of about 0.250 inch diameter per AAC/Remington.
    Here are some suggested OAL for popular bullets in 300 BLK:

• Hornady 110 V-Max, OAL: 2.000

• 110 TSX, 2.015 OAL

• Sierra 155 Palma, 2.150 OAL

Sierra 220, 2.089 OAL

Lapua B416 200 grain, 1.960 OAL

• Hornady 150 FMJ-BT 3037, 2.065 OAL

• Nosler Ballistic Tip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085

• Remington AccuTip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085

• Hornady 130 SP #3020, OAL: 2.010

• Sierra H2120 125 ProHunter, OAL: 1.950

• Speer TNT 125 1986, OAL: 2.010

This should give good feeding according to AAC who developed the cartridge with remington.
    The alternative is to search or make the magazine more friendly to the cartridge as you developed it. For example milling the rib down or away or just searching thru for magazines with less pronouced ribs. In my experience the 20 round straight AR mags seem to be less picky than any of the curved mags.

the original thread about this boolit design had a picture of 311284's in an AR mag
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=102160&page=2

and 311299 in AR mag
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=102160&page=4
    Last edited by Artful; 02-06-2011 at 02:47 AM.

Thanx for the reply,altering the mags would be easy to do.

I've actually found just going thru the various types some work better than others - the 20 round straight colt from the 70's work well, the 30 round Cammenga eazymag seems to work well but I have not used it enough to say for sure - I'm told one of the P mag generations did well but I don't own any of those.

Mine are usually loaded either with pulled FMJ 147-150 grn, 220 sierra or 240 sierra.

Boolit Master
    Swede,

put me down for a 5-cavity, 3 w/GC. I also, per our conversation a few minutes ago, need the thermometer unit and three extra probes.

Thanks again for the vital service you provide us.

Rich
    46-degrees and the sun is shining. Go figure...

Boolit Mold
    Swede,

Put me down for a Four cavity mould $85.00 Ea., all plain base cavities.
    Two with hollow points.

Thanks, Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    swede,
    I need in on this with a double cavity mould, plain bases.

Thanks,
    r6487

My 300 whisper would love this. Put me down for a 4 cavity plain base. This was one of my noob questions too; if an AR can shoot cast? This will be pretty fun out on the farm.

Phil

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast