WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1895 Cowboy..

Boolit Buddy

1895 Cowboy..

Gents - It appears I missed the boat on the Marlin 1895 Cowboy, I've check most of the online distributors and auction sites for one, but it appears I've struck out. Can anyone point me in a direction to purchase a new or even a slightly used version - Thanks for your time - Bill L

Boolit Master
    I'm in Vermont, and my dealer found only 1 down in Texas when I got mine. Have you got a dealer that will check around for you?

Watch Gunbroker, they have them on there quite a bit.
    You'll shoot your eye out kid !

I went to the Marlin web site to see if it is still made. Comment about ordering online. You may check out their site.

DP

they are kind of hard to find right now
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Boolit Bub

1895 cb

i might be selling mine in the next couple weeks. i will let you know after i figure my current situation.they are great shooters.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks

Thanks for the leads, been watching Gunbroker, Auction Arms and Gunsamerica to no avail, uness I'm willing to part with crazy money. Two Dogs please keep me in mind if you must part ways with it as I'd be more than happy to obtain a nice condition 2nd hand one as well. Appreciate the help Gents - Thanks again Bill L

Boolit Master
    Gunslinger.com is going to have an auction on Jan. 22, 2011. They have an 1895 Cowboy that is very clean. This gun was to be an alternate if I didn't one from Michigan. Took better part of a month but I got it. Not sure how much you want to spend, but dealer transfer fee and shipping may add a bunch to you cost. Jeff is a good dealer and has good to deal with. Internet location is from memory, if not right let me know and I will get the correct address.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by msp2640 View Post
    Gents - It appears I missed the boat on the Marlin 1895 Cowboy, I've check most of the online distributors and auction sites for one, but it appears I've struck out. Can anyone point me in a direction to purchase a new or even a slightly used version - Thanks for your time - Bill L
    According to my local gunshop, any new Marlins are hard to get right now. This is due to Marlin relocating their plant to Illion, N.Y. from Conn. I would think prices are going to be high for any Marlin until that move is completed and they get back into full production.

I was wanting to get a 336 and have it rechambered into a .38-55 by Marlin. When I called their 800 number, I was told that option is on hold until at least next year.

It's much cheaper to have a Marlin 336 rebored by J E S Reboring, in Cottage Grove, OR. Here is a link to Jessie's website: http://www.35caliber.com/index.html

He rebored a 336W for me to .375 Winchester for $225.00, including return postage, and did an excellent job. I had the rifle back to me in less than 7 days after he received it. I'm very, very happy with the results.

When I talked to Marlin about rebarreling it to .38-55, they quoted me $375.00, plus shipping.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    It's much cheaper to have a Marlin 336 rebored by J E S Reboring, in Cottage Grove, OR. Here is a link to Jessie's website: http://www.35caliber.com/index.html

He rebored a 336W for me to .375 Winchester for $225.00, including return postage, and did an excellent job. I had the rifle back to me in less than 7 days after he received it. I'm very, very happy with the results.

When I talked to Marlin about rebarreling it to .38-55, they quoted me $375.00, plus shipping.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    That's same price they told me a couple of months ago. But they told me that they wouldn't be able to do it for at least 8-12 months due to the factory being moved. .375 Win is a fine caliber, but there is something about the .38-55 that calls to me. If I am able to get a 336 rebarreled in .38-55, I will probably shoot BP only in it. I have the 1895 CB and shoot mostly BP, using the Lyman 405 FP and GOEX Cartridge in it, accurate load for what I use it for.

My Wish List, for lever guns, is an 1895 in .40-65 with at least a 26" barrel, a 336 in .38-55 again with at least a 26" barrel, and an 1894 CB in either .38-40 or .32-20. I just like playing with and shooting the old BP rounds the best. The Marlin's are far easier to clean and seem to function much better than any Winchester or Italian clone I have shot. Never had a problem with the Marlin jam, that's not to say it won't happen though.

J E S does the .38-55, in both chamber lengths. You just tell him which one you want and he'll do it. If you look at his website, you can see which calibers he does. His work is top notch.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy

J E S does the .38-55, in both chamber lengths. You just tell him which one you want and he'll do it. If you look at his website, you can see which calibers he does. His work is top notch.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I don't have the 336 yet to have rebarreled. But I will put that web site into my favorites for later. Going to a smaller gun show this weekend and may find a 336, but lately they have been hard to find. Lots of the new Mossbergs are around though. Thank You.

just heard that marlin sold to remington...might just grab what ya want now before the rush happens. also might be a hype storie so proceed with caution.

The holding company that owns Remington, and several others, purchased Marlin about 3 years ago. They've closed the factory in Conn. and moved the manufacturing facility to Ilion, NY, the site of the Remington factory.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master

Talking

A friend of mine was an engineer there and gave me and another friend a tour there a couple of years ago and his last day there was 11/11/2010. He said part of it was going down south and they asked him about going and he declined.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    just heard that marlin sold to remington...might just grab what ya want now before the rush happens. also might be a hype storie so proceed with caution.
    I'm sorry to tell you this but Remington/Serebus acquired them a year ago !

The rush has already happened I am afraid !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by msp2640 View Post
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5740.html

http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/m...-wa-66442.html

there?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    The holding company that owns Remington, and several others, purchased Marlin about 3 years ago. They've closed the factory in Conn. and moved the manufacturing facility to Ilion, NY, the site of the Remington factory.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Cerebus acquired Remington about 3 years ago .

Remington/Cerebus acquired Marlin/H&R just slightly over a year ago .

It actually hit the "netwaves" in late november early december of 2009 if my memory serves me .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

They were talking about the purchase of Marlin at the SHOT Show two years ago, so it's been at least that long. The Marlin reps were pretty excited about it at the time.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast