Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: swaging lead bullets

Boolit Master
    Thanks Pete I will try some of the Lee Alox and see if it helps. It is cool that I can make Round nose or SWC I don't remember If I got a hollow Punch I will have to look. Yes I have the Hollow Point Punch

I might try swaging some with a gascheck on them and run them through the Dan Wesson 44mag instead of using the baseguard.

I also used them in my sabots for my Knight Preadator 54. I swaged them with a gascheck on so they would have a round edge to fit the sabot correctly it worked great. I took many a deer with those bullets. Since I have went to using XTP in 240gr HP they don't get deformed as much ramming them down the barrel.

To bad Dan Wesson didn't make a 10mm I have thousands of 9mm brass I could make into bullets. I have a friend that has a DW 41mag
    I may have to try and buy it off him. Anyone try to swage 9mm to 41cal?
    Last edited by Swede44mag; 01-18-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    9mm to .41 works very well!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas Bluster View Post
    I purchased the Base Guard set in .357 from Corbin about twenty some odd years ago. My experience was that the Base Guard bullets fouled about the same as a plain based swaged lead bullet at the velocities I was loading (850 - 1000 F.P.S.). At that time the Base Guards were much more expensive than gas checks so I could see no advantage to using them.

I still make use of the LSWC die occasionally to swage up a batch of bullets but in plain base designs only.

PB
    Try putting a gas check in with your core and you will end up with a swaged bullet with the gas check on it. They work great for sabot using an inline gives it a nice rounded bottom edge. I did buy a punch from Corbin without the dimple for swaging the gas check bullets separately. Corbin thought it was a great idea.

Boolit Man

What a gold mine!

Thanks for the gas check idea!

I just went back and tried swaging a bullet with a gas check using my base guard punch (no flat punch on hand) and it worked great! .357 cast bullets.

I even tried swaging some wheel weight cast lead bullets to see if I could get them to accept gas checks...Worked like a champ! Had to be careful so I didn't burst the die, but no problem getting theme to accept the gas check with the base guard punch.

This just made a whole bunch of lead "swageable" for use in my loads... Cast to die weight - add the gas check in the Corbin die and swage to shape without extruding the lead.

Can resize these in the Lyman die down to .356 and .355 for use in my other loads....

I love this site!

Thanks for the ideas,
    Ed

gas check also

This is right up my alley!! Is anyone swaging lead bullets for .30 cal rifles?? Maybe 8bhn ones?? for about 2300fps?? With gas check swaged into it!
    This would be my requirement!
    Love this site!!!
    Last edited by MaxJon; 08-13-2016 at 04:48 AM. Reason: missed info
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I tried the Corbin base guard system and found pure soft bullets required lube to avoid leading the heck out of my barrel. It does provide a consistent weight bullet (has squirt holes like a core swage die) that I can re-shape (or not) in my regular jacketed round nose point former, then I powder coat them. No need for a base guard or a jacket.

Interesting wolftracker! How fast are you driving your swaged PC bullets? I have read on several occasions of people being able to shoot pure lead bullets because they are powder coated. I'm not convinced myself, but I have not tried it either. It would be great to shoot pure lead with a GC! How do you keep a consistent PC coating?

Boolit Buddy
    My chronograph crapped out on me but book velocity for the load I'm using would run between 700 and 800 fps. At these speeds anyway, the PC seems to work as both lube and jacket and the PC appears to be harder than pure lead. A couple of swipes with a good solvent on a brush shines the bore right up.

800fps is useless to me sadly, but I guess you can't expect much from pure lead.

I love this idea, but i would like a bit more speed! Paper patch???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12