MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Norwegian Rolling B.ock

Boolit Mold

Norwegian Rolling B.ock

I have a Norwegian Rolling Block, date stamped 1877. It is not a 50-70 gov. the bore at the muzzle is 12.03 mm or 0.485 ". The groove diameter at the muzzle is 13.06 mm or 0.497 ". What caliber is this? Are bullets in this size available anywhere? How about reloading dies? The 50-70 gov case fits the chamber. Confused.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ydouask View Post
    I have a Norwegian Rolling Block, date stamped 1877. It is not a 50-70 gov. the bore at the muzzle is 12.03 mm or 0.485 ". The groove diameter at the muzzle is 13.06 mm or 0.497 ". What caliber is this? Are bullets in this size available anywhere? How about reloading dies? The 50-70 gov case fits the chamber. Confused.
    I have one too. I use .348 Win brass with the rim turned down, expanded to 50 cal and trimmed to length or 50-70 brass with the rims turned. I use commercial cast bullets 0.502" diameter or muzzle loader REAL bullets I cast myself. I use black powder or subs. I believe the official Norwegian caliber was 12.7 x 44R.

If you are using a metric micrometer you need to check your math.

12.03 mm converts to 0.4736" and 13.06 mm converts to 0.5141"

Tim
    Last edited by dtknowles; 02-16-2020 at 11:38 PM.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I have one too. I use .348 Win brass with the rim turned down, expanded to 50 cal and trimmed to length or 50-70 brass with the rims turned. I use commercial cast bullets 0.502" diameter or muzzle loader REAL bullets I cast myself. I use black powder or subs. I believe the official Norwegian caliber was 12.7 x 44R.

If you are using a metric micrometer you need to check your math.

12.03 mm converts to 0.4736" and 13.06 mm converts to 0.5141"

Tim
    Thank you for your response. Not only was my math incorrect but after doing several more readings at the muzzle I have an average of .476" or 12.11 mm on the lands , and an average of .506" or 12.84 mm at the grooves..... those numbers I will check again tomorrow. I suspect that the Norwegian " 50-70 gov " was 12.17 mm " x44R and the Swedish 50-70 was 12.7 mm x44R. This translates to the Norwegian bore being .479 " and the Swedish being .515 ". So, you're shooting .502 "... that will work. I sure wouldn't be able to shoot those in my rifle. Is there a commercial bullet in the .479 " or slightly smaller range? Hank.

I have one and load 12.7 x 44 mm. The bore I measured at 0.488"/0.506" and it has the deepest rifling I have ever seen. Cases can be made from 348 Winchester brass or better 450/400 Nitro cases. I use a Lyman 450gn boolit sized to 0.510". The bore on my rifle is perfect and mirrored.

N.B. a 50/70 case will not fit but several smiths have run a 50/70 reamer into the chamber !

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ydouask View Post
    Thank you for your response. Not only was my math incorrect but after doing several more readings at the muzzle I have an average of .476" or 12.11 mm on the lands , and an average of .506" or 12.84 mm at the grooves..... those numbers I will check again tomorrow. I suspect that the Norwegian " 50-70 gov " was 12.17 mm " x44R and the Swedish 50-70 was 12.7 mm x44R. This translates to the Norwegian bore being .479 " and the Swedish being .515 ". So, you're shooting .502 "... that will work. I sure wouldn't be able to shoot those in my rifle. Is there a commercial bullet in the .479 " or slightly smaller range? Hank.
    I think you would be better off shooting a bullet closer to groove diameter than bore diameter.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides