Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .40 s&w rn mould?

Boolit Bub

.40 s&w rn mould?

I hope this is the right thread. I've been casting, sizing, reloading for quite a few years. my buddy is thinking he would like to start casting, he already reloads. i would help or loan him whatever he might need. I don't own a .40, so he would have to buy a mould and a die for my star. problem is we can't find a round nose mould. plenty of swc or tc's out there. i've looked in the usual places with no luck. short of having one made, anyone have any ideas? he has XD-40's and has only shot round nose jacketed thru them. not sure if they would eat a swc or tc. RN is a no-brainer. thanks

I would suggest trying to find a lyman 400-090 (168 gr) or 401-043 (172 grn). Both are a flat point round nose designed for the 38-40 and should drop at .401 with the right alloy. They are a bit heavy for caliber but up to 200 is acceptable.

I am sizing down an HPed 210 gr(drops at 196 grn) keith style 41 mag bullet which I size using a RN top punch. It ends up as sort of a FP RN and so far it gives me no trouble feeding and is actually one of my more accurate .40 loads.

I have a Lee 401-175-TC and a Lee TF401-150-TC (group buy).
    They both feed great in my XD and p226.

Boolit Master

Try Magma Engineering

Boolit Master
    I had Veral make me up a long RN that I use for my 610 revolver.. he took a long round nose that was meant for something like a 405 Jeffrey that was 235 or 300 gr, and shortened it to 185 gr using 92-6-2. I had him make it with a single grease groove and it was sized .401". There was an older thread for me looking for pretty much the same thing but my interest was for something that would drop into a 6 shooter cylinder better than a RNFP that I've had to use before aquiring that mold.. I can send you the mold info if you like and if there is interest, I can post what it looks like though I think there are pictures somewhere around here already..

I think the .40 was designed around a TC design. Have him try a box of Winchester White Box .40's and see if they feed. They are cheap and the Lyman 401638 and Lee .401-175-TC have the same nose profile.

FWIW, I haven't had any boolit design NOT feed so far in my .40. Another good design is Mihec's .401-160-RNFP.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovesjammie View Post
    I think the .40 was designed around a TC design. Have him try a box of Winchester White Box .40's and see if they feed. They are cheap and the Lyman 401638 and Lee .401-175-TC have the same nose profile.

FWIW, I haven't had any boolit design NOT feed so far in my .40. Another good design is Mihec's .401-160-RNFP.
    Don't think, KNOW. You're absolutely correct. 40 (and it's parent, the 10mm) were both designed with TC profile bullets, and most guns are engineered around this SAAMI drawing (although the guns should feed a wide variety of nose styles). I'm not even sure where he found RN jacketed???

I use the Lee 401-175-TC (regular lube groove) myself with complete satisfaction. 6-cavity aluminum mould for <$50 including the handles, when they're on-sale at Midway. (and they happen to be on sale right now!)
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.