MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet lube for a new guy?

Boolit Master

Bullet lube for a new guy?

I'm looking to get away from tumble lubing for the first time. I will be casting HP bullets and don't think tumble lubing them is a good idea. (Unless I am wrong, someone stop me here) I'm looking to get my first lube and sizing press set up and just want to know what a good model is to avoid any stinkers out there. Are there any to avoid like the plague and are there any that people swear by? Are RCBS and Lyman top punches the same quality? I want a good press that I won't find leaks lube and mashes bullets to size them. Sorry I didn't title this better, but I can't edit that part.
    Last edited by Maximumbob54; 01-03-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Wasn't clear in my wording

lube sizers

they are all good you have good ones and you have really good ones the best by far is a Star made by Magma engineering co. D Crockett

Boolit Master

Pan lube, and use a Lee Sizer.
    Some great receipes on the net.
    It is what I do.

I've used a Lyman 450 for a lot of years with good service.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Welcome to the forum, there is a ton of info if you go to the lube section and read the sticky section. It's better to do a search as you know what you have in mind. Also when asking questions it is better to post more info. Things like caliber, bullet, max bullet speed loading, and type of gun used may get you better answers. You missed the lube section with your question. Take Care and give yourself plenty of time to decide. Pan lubing is not bad for a while I'm waiting method.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know why alox won't work with HP boolits. Check the Lube Section for a bunch of recipes and methods. 45-45-10 is a big hit with a lot of the guys there (me too) and it's in the stickies section.

I don't use a lubersizer. Don't dislike them, I've just found less expensive, simpler ways to lube my boolits (all the way from "powder-puff" loads for my wife's 38 to full patch loads in my .44 magnums). But if I were to buy one I'd be looking at a Star.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    It is what I do.
    +1. I'll be shopping for a Star soon though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    It is what I do.
    I'm trying to look up how the lube stays in the groove. I'm not sure I get the concept. For some reason in my mind I keep thinking I need a tiny .45 caliber biscuit cutter to cut the lube free and pop the bullet free of the biscuit cutter. Then push it through the sizing die? Confused...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Welcome to the forum, there is a ton of info if you go to the lube section and read the sticky section. It's better to do a search as you know what you have in mind. Also when asking questions it is better to post more info. Things like caliber, bullet, max bullet speed loading, and type of gun used may get you better answers. You missed the lube section with your question. Take Care and give yourself plenty of time to decide. Pan lubing is not bad for a while I'm waiting method.
    I edited the original post to be more clear. I want a press that does it all, lubes, sizes, gas checks, and it would be nice if it did good at all of the above. I'm trying to avoid eventually having two or three full setups of everything I have to reload. At some point I want reloading to save me money...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane View Post
    +1. I'll be shopping for a Star soon though.
    Ummm, yikes. The Magma Star Lube-sizer had better wash my dishes and tuck me in for that price tag for a full setup.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    Ummm, yikes. The Magma Star Lube-sizer had better wash my dishes and tuck me in for that price tag for a full setup.
    Yes, but after pan lubing around 1000 boolits per month since may of last year, you'll be ready to find a better way.

Pan lubing works for cheap; however I'm ready for a more efficient way. My time is valuable (that's what i keep telling myself to justify the price).

Boolit Master

I currently tumble lube my 45 acp HP boolits, works great. I pan lube my rifle boolits.

I am also currently saving my money for the Star, figure I'd get the basic star, get dies from the guys on here and do the air mod myself, if I feel the need.

Boolit Grand Master

There are three levels of interest. Lyman/RCBS use the same dies and are functionally the same machine, RCBS slightly better built and better service. Both typically available used on eBay. Dies common and most sizes, Buckshot will make you any size you want. Seco (S?) is next, I don't know about them. Star is top of the line and costs like it. Dies limited but available here from LatheSmith.

Lyman/RCBS is the most common and available. I run one Lyman (Pistol/BP lube) and one RCBS (Speed Green). These are adequate for my needs, but I don't shoot competitively. If you are shooting a lot of pistol a Star will pay for itself in a year or so, don't let the price stop you.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

The lube does stay in the grooves with pan lubing.
    The castings are brought up to temp prior to pouring lube.
    There is some fall off, but you can use the lube from around the die to smear on the lube groove.
    Works fairly well.

most boolit lubes have a tacky feel ( to some extent ) this combined with the solid ring helps hold in on/in , i've seen some lubes that shrink in the grooves ( any with a solvent will do this as the solvent dissipates ) a lube sizer squeezes the tacky lube on the bullet using hydraulic pressure , the pressure usually forms the solid ring , tumble lubing works on HP's as most tumble lubes are a thinner lube that hardens when the solvents evaporate , usually the amount required shouldnt be enough to clog a hollow point ( barring heavy applications and itsy bitsy teenie weenie HP's that is ) as stated the rcbs and lymans can be found used cheaper than a new one ( and all less than the star ) myself i like the older lyman #45 but it isnt as robust as a 450/4500 or the rcbs versions , meaning that it will lube fine but heavy duty swaging/sizing is out , all of these will install gas checks as well as would the lee ,pan lubing does , like anything , have a learning curve [shrugz] as for reloading to save money ...lolz i cant state that that's true but it will allow one to shoot more for less .. eventually (and especially if one wants to shoot more ) casting boolits helps alot in this regard but one cant their time as cost ( or my last lube marathon has me so far in the red that i'll never see black )

Boolit Grand Master

Push through sizers do a better job (less bullet distortion and since the bullet is self centering, there is no possibility of the bullet being sized out of line).

Lee push through sizers are inexpensive and do a terrific job but require either using LLA (a marginal system in my view) or pan lubing. Pan lubing doesn't have to be terribly slow (use several cake pans from the local thrift store) and you can do hundreds of bullets at a time with the correct lube.

The next step up in cost is to use an RCBS or Lyman lube/sizer. I have both and prefer the RCBS for it's somewhat better build, the precision of the alignment, and their warranty service is WORLD's better!

The most expensive manual system is the Star. It is a push through sizer that also lubes under pressure. I have been using one for many, many years. It paid for itself the first year I used it. It is twice or three times faster than the RCBS and Lyman tools.

So, you pays your money and makes your choice...

Dale53

Boolit Master

Please tell me you don't have to buy it from Magma direct??? There is no vendor that eats off some of that MSRP??? I don't see it at my usual internet stores.

Boolit Master
    Should you get the RCBS sizer, Get the RCBS dies and top punches. I somehow screwed up one of my Lyman top punches, so I had to eat it. I've blown seals and o-rings learning how to properly use the LAM II, and always got free replacements from RCBS, no matter how much I told them I'd pay for my errors..
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Maximumbob54, it is my understanding that you have 2 options, new from Magma or used.

Boolit Grand Master
    Maximumbob54 :

Not a lot of money in this lube method. Make some SUPER accurate ammo on a budget :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34058

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast