Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squirrel Guns

Boolit Master
    For many years my rabbit and squirrel rifle was a BSA Martini with BSA peep sights. My eyes finally reached the point where I couldn't use the peeps except in bright daylight. I switched to an old Model 60 Marlin with a 4 power Redfield Frontier scope. That was by far the most accurate 22 caliber semi-automatic rifle that I have ever owned and was very effective on squirrels. I passed that rifle on to my oldest daughter several years ago. I have just purchased a Remington #5 that shows promise. Neil

Boolit Master
    I use this Kimber of Oregon barreled action that I stocked with the lightest colored piece of Bastogne walnut I have ever seen. Shaped the stock to the same dimensions as my center fire rifles. It will keep a magazine full in one ragged hole at 50 yards. Squirrels, ducks and doves are about all I hunt in the fall.

Boolit Master
    Sorry, it's not a rim-fire.

Bedford County style, 30 caliber. I use a #1 buckshot, linen patch and 15 grains of 3F. It just goes SPAT when it goes off. It's killed a pile of squirrels since 1970.
    Last edited by elk hunter; 10-18-2011 at 11:21 PM.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    504 Remington.....Lilja barrel........Outback II suppressor
    Last edited by Herb in Pa; 08-08-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Banned

Boolit Master

Pat when you shoot a squirrel with that it makes em easier to clean. That is if you can find em.

Banned

I call it the 454 vapor method.

Moderator Emeritus

Those of us shootin' corn fed town squirrels need a powerful stealth Pellet rifle.
    This is a RWS Diana Air King mod. 54 recoilless .22 cal.
    Jon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

No picture. But when I was younger living in Missouri my first choice was my contender with 14 inch .22 match grade with iron sights it came with. It was as accurate as the anshutzs (sp) I shot small bore with. One after another through the same hole. If not it was the operator's fault.

Banned

Nice air rifle Jon.

I've been wanting to work up some reduced 223 Rem loads with Noe's 22 cal GB mold. I'm not into eatn' squirrel, but I do like to harvest them for my dogs.

I had a dog that caught grey squirrels and rabbits and ate them whole. All that remained was a slight blood trail and tuffs of fir. I never saw her catch one, but she did every week almost.

Don't know how she did it.

Banned
    Most of the time I just bring the mt. currs and let others shoot the tree'd rat.

When I do carry a rifle it is almost always my Rem 581 stoked with remington subsonics in the early season with a flattened meplate or remington thunderbolts when the leaves are off. It was my first brand spanking new gun and has a special place in my heart/collection. The only issue I have with the gun is the chinceee plastic magazine, but it has claimed 800+ squirrels since I bought it as a child. If that rifle does not put all the bullets into one hole inside 50 yards it is MY fault.

I removed the colored varnish from the birch stock many many years ago which left it a very bright blonde color. The color has mellowed into a nice light tan with a pinkish hue over the years and looks more like mellowed maple now. I have killed more squirrels/rabbits/crows/frosted grape drunken partridge and other critters with that gun than all my other toys combined.

Boolit Master

Top:
    Gamo 220 Hunter .177 air gun w/ BSA 4X32 scope

T/C Seneca .36

Remington 511P w/Tasco Variable 3-12 X40 scope (wifes, I chopped 3.25" off barrel. and 1.75" off butt)

Rhom High Noon SA revolver

Remington 511P w/Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 X 40 scope

Dirtfarmer, my 511P's came with three different size apertures . . . but I ended up drilling and tapping for scopes.

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

Not bad, not bad at all...
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Banned

I've got that Gamo but without a scope shawn. Pretty accurate little buggar.

Boolit Master

Yeah Pat, powerful too! I have a Crossman C02 pistol that looks like Beretta 92, back in VT we had a problem with chipmunks burrowing in the lawn, and under the steps, and patio . . . it was very sandy soil, and the rains would wash it all out . . . one day I was baking bread, and I saw through the window a chipmunk sitting on the stone wall next to the steps near the door (7'-8') I grabbed the crossman and bounced a pellet off it's forehead! It fell over, and lay there shaking, I walked over, and just as I bent down to pick it up to dispose of it, it . . . sat up shook it head, and ran off scolding me!

I went in and ordered the Gamo from Cabela's! I was living on the outskirts of town which had a "no firearms" law, and the gray squirrels would dig up my tulip and crocus bulbs and transplant them in the woods!

I once lined up two squirrels, and shot them both with the same pellet! Did the same things with pigeons in my garden!

I got so I would prop my kitchen door open and shoot them through the door opening, cuz they learned when the ugly guy with the shiny stick comes out, some squirrel is gonna die! You could see them running through the trees!

That Gamo also killed a big old woodchuck who liked my garden . . . and many skunks too!
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned

LOL... that's a great story Shawn ..

When we first moved out of the city to our home here, our dog chased a skunk under the house at about 2:00 am and the skunk let loose. You have never ever lived until you've experienced waking up to such an alarm clock. Holy cow- you could cut through the fumes with a flash light.

Wifes got the dog. He's barking, she's screaming. I run down stairs without even so much as a second thought, grab my Marlin 39 Century that I bought when I was 10 (in my avatar), and a flashlite. It's in the middle of winter.

Stoop under the house prone, and clocked him with one shot as he pranced back and forth on the far side of the foundation, trying to find away out. I crawl in there and drag him out.

Stand up- still in my underwear shorts and my wife says, "I didn't know you could do that?"...

Boolit Master
    When I lived in Michigan (most of my life until about a year and a half ago) I hunted tree rats with everything I owned. From 22lr's, 17hmr's, to 30-06's

This one as my favorite for shooting squirrels in the yard though.
    22 Hornet with 57gr cast boolits
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

22 High Standard Sport King (semi auto) with a 3 power old style Weaver scope. shoots LR and well as Shorts equally well

Boolit Master
    I've shot a lot of squirrels with air rifles and .22's, some old 25 rimfires, .32 rimfires and now I'm working on getting some with the .32 S&W long.

My most squirrel getting rifle that didn't use air, has been a Winchester model 67. When I was 14 I could shoot fired .22 cases at 25 yards with that gun. Now I can't see them at that range...

I started experimenting with the 25 and 32 rimfires to provide for better squirrel hunting through the leaves that where still on the branches of the white-oaks into November or December in FL.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12