Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Ruger MKIII Hunter

Boolit Master

Ruger MKIII Hunter

Anyone else having feeding and function issues with the Ruger MKIII Hunter?
    My MKII eats any and all 22 RF ammo WITHOUT FAIL.
    I don`t own a MKIII but I have friends that have them. Some feed and function flawlessly and others are a real PITA.
    Have any of you heard of magazine issues being the problem with this gun or am I hearing rumors?....dale

Boolit Master
    I had a MkIII bull barrel SS model a few years ago when they first come on the scene. It never jammed, fed flawlessly. I sold it about a year after I got. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it at 3 paces. I never understood, we just never got along. I sold it to a friend who could almost write his name with it. Some guns just have an attitude.

Smile

I have one with a 2x pwr Leupold scope it. It shoots a good as a rifle off bench rest.
    No issues with at all. They are beautiful and very accurate pistols.

He should try different ammo and or magazine(s) or give it a good bath.

They are a little cumbersome to field strip, mostly putting it back together.

As far as rumors, everyone that I know that has one love them.
    Sprue ™

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    I have a new Mark III Target with about 300 rounds through it. I'm having problems getting it to feed the Winchester 555 bulk box stuff. The gun needs to be sloppy wet with oil for it to feed for some reason or the other. The Federal 550s feed & shoot just fine.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Nephew has one no issues that I know of but I did tell him that 22's could be notoriously ammo finicky and advised him to try a little of everything until he found what the gun liked.

As for pistols with a "tude"?

Been there! Had a good friend that could not live without a KG99 back in the day. He layed down the bucks and bought a new one.

Owned in most of a year and a half and could never get it to work for him. They rest of us, about 5 other guys never had an issue with it and I found it to be extremly accurate strangely enough.

The guy who owned the thing never fired more than two rounds in a row before it jammed.

Didin't matter how many rounds he had in the mag, didn't matter if it was factory or a reload, heck we stood in a line on range passing it around between the 6 of us.

Meaning I shot it 4 or 5 rounds and then passed it to the left, that guy shot 4 or 5 rounds and passed it.. I think you get the idea. Every time Joe got it in his hand it jammed! Every time! And only for him!

Eventually Joe decided it didn't like him, go figure, and it got traded for a model 19.

Boolit Master
    I have a friend who has had a Tanfoglio 9mm for years and had nothing but trouble with it, says it jams on him. I thought maybe it would be his thumb hitting the safety or something like that. He brought it up and I put some of my cast reloads through it with no problems. I am left-handed so it gave me no issues at all. You never can tell what is going to work for you.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

My MK111 Target works great ~ feeds well, no jams with CCI standard velocity. Very accurate with this ammo. But had a few jam's with Winchester power point.
    Lead foot;

Boolit Grand Master