RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lee 22 Bator mold caution

Boolit Master
    Well, got my new molds tonight. Can't find the camera, but let's say that they are beautiful!

Yes, I waited a month for these to show up, and I think it was worth the wait. The 22 Bator mold looks exactly like it should, and is one of the best finished Lee molds I've ever seen. Very smooth, everything fits tight, not sloppy, but no sticking, and I haven't lubed it yet.

Can't wait to see how it does casting, maybe this weekend, but it looks like Lee fixed the problem!!!!!

Boolit Master

How do the dimensions compare to the drawing? Please let us know, heck I'll order a new 6 cav if it is correct.

Boolit Master
    Moonie, I'd love to give you numbers... Unfortunately, some idiot (read me) knocked my digital calipers off the bench. Word of advice... Don't do that, because it scrambles it's little electronic brain. Can't find my verniers for the past three years, so I'll have to get another set before I can measure them, sorry.

Next set will be dial calipers... No batteries, no electronics, just good old fashioned gears.
    Last edited by koehlerrk; 05-31-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Boolit Master

lol, I understand, your killing me...

Boolit Master
    Well, it was said that if you could take the guy most responsible for your troubles and kick him in the pants that you wouldn't be able to sit down for a week.

In my case, I knew I shoulda put the calipers back in the case. But, I got in a hurry, and just set them on the bench. A couple grabs later, down they go... and concrete floors are not forgiving.

Good news is, I should have a chance to cast some with it this weekend. Post and pics will follow if I get to it.

Boolit Master
    Well, gave the 22 Bator a try-out last night. Long story short, it works very well. Bullets fall out of it as soon as I open it. This is about the most trouble-free Lee mold I've ever seen. I am impressed.

Getting the kids ready for a parade right now, but if I can find the camera, I'll post pics when we get back.

I got mine and a 6.5 mould from Midsouth Saturday. I worked all weekend but when I get a chance to cast a few I'll let everyone know how they turn out. They both look great and I've never had any problems with any of my LEE moulds so I don't expect any with the Bator.

I finally got around to casting with the Bator. I worried about it because I've heard of problems with them and 22 caliber moulds in general. I had a total of 4 moulds in use tonight. The first two were MIHEC's, a used 45 200gr HP and a 9mm 125gr I bought a couple months ago. I usually run the brass moulds a little hotter than aluminum and left the 22 by the pot while working with the 2 MIHEC's. After finishing with the 45 I kept running the 9mm and switched to using 22. ( I needed more bullets forthe 38 super than anything so I ran 2 moulds at a time, always running the 9mm mould).

The bullets fell out of the 22 Bator mould when I opened it. After cooling I had one cull, the others were really nice and shiny and well formed. I picked a couple and they only run 48 to 49 grains (on my crappy electric scale) without lube or a gas check.
    Overall length was .502,
    gas check shank measured .211 in diameter and .068 long,
    nose measures .222 in diameter by about .201 long (it was harder to measure length as I measred from the top of the lube groove),
    driving bands measure .228 in diameter by .070 long,
    grease grooves measure .206 by .047
    meplat was about .126.

I also used the 6.5 Swede that I got from Midsouth at the same time. I had trouble with fillout at first but I think I had gotten sprue plate lube in the cavity. I cleaned it again and got better fillout but still had problems with bullets sticking in the cavities. I'll check it for burs or defects. Never had a LEE stick like this.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester, VA, but I'm from the better Virginia...WEST Virginia
    I just ordered the last 6 hole Lee Bator mold from Midsouth today, at the beginning of this thread I was biting my nails hoping I got a good one. But as I read through the six pages and watched the dates, last Bators (properly formed) received early June, I'm assuming mine is from the same batch...hooray!

I was thinking of trying some Acc 5744 with it since it would also go with my 30-30. Anyone try that with the lil 22 Bator?

Or have something that they really like?

I'll be trying to feed a hungry 1/12 twist AR, hopefully semi-auto eventually.

I don't know if it will function in ARs/semis, but 5744 gives some of the best accuracy with them in my Stevens 200. I hope you get a good mould, it seems like it can be hit or miss with the MidSouth semi custom moulds.

Boolit Master

Christorbust, please note my H4895 (18gr) load in this thread, it does function the action in my Midlength 1-9" AR.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like 5744 is in my future then, might be hard to function the action with it though.

Moonie was that load with the Bator? I couldn't find the post, must be this late hour getting to me... no more reading about AR's tonight!

Boolit Master

That was with the Bator, and the post was earlier in this thread.

Boolit Buddy
    My Bator came in and the dimensions seem correct, it doesn't seem to have the problems earlier stated in this thread...

Boolit Buddy
    I created some loads today with the bator for the AR15's. With 5744 I got the bolts to function and lock open on the last round, I haven't tested for accuracy yet as it was pouring today.

I did however test the bator boolit designs impact against a j-word bullet. In an incredibly scientific and controlled experiment I used two vessels of equal size, density and color, pop cans filled with water! I shot them both with the same amount of 5744, one with a j-word bullet and one with the bator boolit. The difference, besides about 800% in price, is in the pictures. I was shocked at the difference. I had the cans on top of other cans, the force was so dramatic the bator's stand can was partially crushed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4543.jpg   IMG_4544.jpg   IMG_4545.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I really thought those pictures would get more of a response, I guess since I'm new to casting I just underestimated the potential of that bullet shape.

I'm still impressed!

Have you chronographed that load?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy
    I have not, it was 15.4 5744 off the top of my head, without checking the log.

I do not own a chrono

From what I see published in Speer #13, I'm going to guess that your load should put you somewhere around 2,300-2400fps. You are probably getting close to the top end of how fast you would want to push lead, at least for best accuracy. Some people manage to push it up a little higher than that, but if you want to go down that road, then everything you do needs to be about perfect.

Just out of curiosity, how was your accuracy with that load under the Bator? You certainly got plenty of punch behind that little flat nosed pill. If your accuracy is good, then I'd say that you have come up with quite the winning combination.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't get a chance to test it. It was almost dark at that point, and I couldn't resist testing a few for function.

When I do get to it I will post it, but I won't be home around those rifles for a month or so.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast