RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Show us your wildcats!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    If I knew how to post pictures, I'd show you all my 22 Eargesplitten-Loudenboomer. AKA, the 22-378 Wbee.

Rich
    I'd bet it isn't cast friendly.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    If I knew how to post pictures, I'd show you all my 22 Eargesplitten-Loudenboomer. AKA, the 22-378 Wbee.

Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    I'd bet it isn't cast friendly.

Edd

might work with 10gr unique? THE cast boolit load?

I believe this is it:

There are a bunch of other pictures that show up when you search for the Eargesplitten Loudenboomer. This is one of them:

I don't know exactly what they are - from the sound of it, most of these are just put together as a curiosity.

hah... looks like they'd be good for blowing something up

Boolit Master

haha yeah like a gun.

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure if this is on the list yet, but this is an interesting intermediate round. Apparently one of the co-designers of the 6.8SPC designed it specially disregarding AR-15 confines.

7x46mm Murray
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19936

Well, I havn't built it yet. Just drawing board and calculator work but if I ever do build a wildcat cartridge, this would probably be it:

To be used in the Glock model 20 with a custom replacement barrel and possibly a full long slide (LS) conversion project. My 357-LNAM (Long Neck Auto Magnum) flanked on either side by competing cartridges. Basically just a 357-Sig. with the neck extended to match the length of 10mm brass. Would work in the 10mm G-20 magazines (and for that matter any other 10mm magazine) a lot better then the 357-Sig. (which is too short and rattles back and forth and messes up the stack alignment) with the additional benefits including much better neck tension combined with better case capacity since the bullet would not protrude into the powder area. The already existing cartridge which could be considered as directly competing with my design is the 9x25-Dillion which has developed a reputation for having even worse neck tension issues then the 357-Sig. and offers only a marginal (approx 6%) powder capacity advantage over my 357-LNAM set-up with the additional benefit that a gun chambered for such a 357-LNAM Wildcat could still chamber and fire the 357-Sig. cartridge with complete safety provided the chamber was cleaned before switching back to 357-LNAM rounds (to prevent neck pinching from heavy fowling of the exposed neck area from firing the shorter necked 357-Sig. cartridge). In either case my 357-LNAM round would have an increase in case capacity of 0.19cc added on to the 1.27cc case capacity of the 357-Sig. which although still not touching the 1.75cc case capacity of the 357-mag and falling in at slightly less then the 1.55cc case capacity of the 9x25-Dillion does offer an improvement towards matching 357-mag ballistic capabilities beyond what the 357-Sig. is capable of while offering a vast improvement in neck tension and thus potentially the consistency and accuracy of the cartridge.

Obviously plenty of potential for cast boolits as well; probably have to stick to designs with a GC though. I don't think PB or BB would work very well since a regular 9x19 can be troublesome for lead boolits without using a GC and this would be an even more intense cartridge.

Boolit Mold
    I load for a round that I created, from cut down and turned WSM brass. I call it the .510 Deming Destroyer. Cases are cut to .9, then expanded with a .510 mandrel, this makes the "neck" swell to bigger than the base, so I turn the whole case OD to the same size. It's kinda like a big 45.

Here's some loaded up

I didn't have a mold for the boolits, and one couldn't be located for light enough boolits in .510 diameter, so I made one. Well more like modified a Lee mold. I turned a piece of O1 drill rod to the dimensions I wanted the boolit to be

Then after some grinding to make a cutting edge, I had a cutter for the mold. I placed the mold blocks in the 4 jaw and the cutter in the tool post ran the cutter into the mold and then backed it out till the diameter was correct, The lathe was run at it's slowest speed

Here are the blocks after cutting

And here are a couple boolits IIRC they're around 335 grains

I've been planing on hollow pointing the mold to lower the weight a bit. My chrono has been on the fritz so I haven't got a reliable velocity reading yet.
    It's chambered in a homebuilt bolt action rifle, but someday I'm going to chamber it in some sort of pistol.

Zeb
    Last edited by ZebDeming; 02-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Banned

Wow- great work Zeb!
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 02-14-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ZebDeming View Post
    Then after some grinding to make a cutting edge, I had a cutter for the mold. I placed the mold blocks in the 4 jaw and the cutter in the tool post ran the cutter into the mold and then backed it out till the diameter was correct, The lathe was run at it's slowest speed

Zeb
    Zeb- How did you grind the O1 to get your cutter shape and do you have a pic of your cutter?

That is a great idea. I need to do something similar soon and never thought of turning the complete profile first. I've never made any conventional molds before but your way makes total sense to me.

Boolit Master

Now that is a good one, Zeb!
    What is the COL, since you are using it in a rifle?
    As big as a 45 Win Mag?

I like that! That is what it is all about right there.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    I am not absolutely sure but think that the .510" diameter may be illegal as it will be classed by BATF as a destructive device.
    I am not taking a stand on either side of the fence just mentioning it. It may be a good idea to check it out before you take it to a public range where some jealous individuals may delight in causing you trouble.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, If you guys are interested I could start a thread on my mold instead of thread jack this one.
    Alot of stuff is .510, 50 bmg, 500 linebaugh, 50 alaskan, 50-70 etc. The reason .510 passes muster is the wording of the law, law reads bore diameter, not groove, the test is a rod that's just a bit over 1/2" and if it fits the barrel then DD it is, being that the bore is .500 and groove diameter is .510, it passes muster.

Zeb

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Wow- great work Zeb!

Since I won a nice Browning 270 last summer, I want to rebore my old 270 that's a commercial FN Mauser to something cast friendly and bigger than 35 cal, as I already have a 358 Win.

I've got a good amount of 270, 308, 30'06, and 300 win mag brass. What would you guys suggest for a rebore based on one of those cases, if it can be done?
    Since you already have a .358 I would think a .375-'06, looks to me like a real hammer to me!

Boolit Master

Cool Not just another DIY- a What I Did

Thanks guys, If you guys are interested I could start a thread on my mold instead of thread jack this one.
    Up to you, but that would probably be the thing to do- it could get long. This one is getting long now- but it is very interesting, too.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum Zeb!

If you guys are interested I could start a thread on my mold instead of thread jack this one.
    I'd be very interested. A new thread would indeed probably be the wisest route.

Banned

Yes by all means- start a thread. Leave a link for it here Zeb!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    I am not absolutely sure but think that the .510" diameter may be illegal as it will be classed by BATF as a destructive device.
    I am not taking a stand on either side of the fence just mentioning it. It may be a good idea to check it out before you take it to a public range where some jealous individuals may delight in causing you trouble.
    there is an exclusion for .510"

Banned

Is there an official 'Wildcat Database" some wheres where the wildcats that get famous are listed and seen?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Is there an official 'Wildcat Database" some wheres where the wildcats that get famous are listed and seen?
    I thought that was wikipedia -- but the wildcat has to be sufficiently famous for the moderators there to not take it down i.e. it has to be glorified in the gun rags, and some of the the moderators may be fanboys of a particular cartridge.

I'm thinking about setting up a website solely for wildcats. Maybe I should make it wikipedia-like where members here can independently contribute to it. I'll post here if/when I have it up, but it may be some time.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast