Inline FabricationRotoMetals2PBcastcoLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your wildcats!

Boolit Master

Ain't no wildcat but Savage has chambered up the 5.7 X 28. I think that would make a great little boolit shooter, necks too dang short though.

Boolit Master

Short necks is what I am running into-
    22 Hornet has long enough neck, no case capacity.
    221 Fireball has more case capacity, but no neck.
    222 Rem has neck length and capacity.

That 5.7 x28mm is a wildcat last time I looked. There isn't a factory mass producing them now, is there? That is the 5.7mm Johnson, IIRC.
    Even SMALLER than the 221 Fireball- the one in the picture (in one of my previous posts above) is about 33mm, and just made from a sized down 30 carbine case, which is what Johnson based his wildcat on to be used in the 30 M1 Carbine.
    The short-necked rounds are intended for using the J-word projectiles. The designers weren't cast boolit aficanados, and it was not in vogue at the time, and still isn't for the majority of shooters.
    Last edited by Charlie Sometimes; 01-18-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

I have been looking and cant find anything on this one. 300 win mag necked down to 7mm.
    I want to get about 200-300fps more out of the heavy 175,180 gr bullets than what the 7mag can do without going to the 7RUM or 7 Weatherby.
    Has anyone tried this yet??

Boolit Master

Wouldn't that wildcat pretty much be a 7mm Rem Mag?
    What about looking to the 7mm STW, if you don't want a RUM or Weatherby?
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

No, the 300 win mag case is 2.620 and the 7mag is 2.50, about an extra 9gr capacity. Im thinking with the new slower powders and a 26" barrel it should be right around 3100fps for the 180gr berger bullets I want to shoot. Im getting 2800 right now out of the 7 rem mag.

Boolit Master
    5.7x28 isn't a wildcat, it's the round chambered in the Fn 5.7 pistols and FN P90 carbine. It's a cute little round, and brass and ammo are becoming pretty available now. Heck, there was a pile of the brass in the range bucket when I was there yesterday.

The 5.7 johnson is still a wildcat, and a completely different case. It's based on the .30 carbine.

Neck is way too short for boolits on the 5.7x28 though. I originally thought about shortening a die and setting the shoulder back to make a wildcat out of it, but then decided that the 22/32 was a better choice for me.

I've got another wildcat I'll post later, I didn't develop it, but there aren't too many people shooting it anymore!
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Thanks for clearing that up. I have yet to see the FN 5.7 pistols or carbines. My mind automatically went to the 5.7mm Johnson.
    No mater what method of naming cartridges is used it seems confusing and insufficient, doesn't it?
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    I understand! I do wish there was a better naming system, but realistically, I think everybody who makes their own wildcat wants to name it themselves! Then sometimes they go into production, wouldn't you know it, some of those kooky names follow them

Didn't mean to be arguing either, just wanted to clear it up
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Had put this info up before on another thread but here's my wildcat.
    It's a 375x45-70 designed to hold a lot of lube grooves and have optimum case volume.
    The rifle has a 26" barrel on a modified Ruger No.3.
    The hunting load for that rifle is a compressed charge of WW760, mag primer and Lymans 375296 cast from straight wheel weights. I've wanted to rebarrel a Marlin lever gun to see how the cartridge would work but never have gotten around to it. No doubt the pressure behavior would be very different in any other rifle besides the one I have.
    Did a lot of research using different rifles and cartridges as platforms to study what works. After getting the knowledge base that was needed I designed the .375x45-70. After it was all said and done I found out that what I had was essentially a smokeless version of the 9.5 Mauser, Paul Mauser's cartridge that was the optimized design for military black powder cartridges just before smokeless took over. Oh well, what worked then works now!

Boolit Master

Nice cartridge- that looks like a winner!
    I'll bet that is fun to shoot.
    Yea, I don't think there is nothing that can be built that hasn't been built already- for cast boolits anyway. Might be a few combinations out there that haven't, but it is fun to rehash old designs with modern "thinking" and components.
    All the "new" cartridges ending in SSM, RUM, WSSM, (ad nausem) is intended for the j-words. I wonder if any of those powders would be useful under a CB in the right cartridge?
    USMC 1980-1985

Some of the new super mag powders might be great if you can get a consistent burn. The WW760 in the 375x45-70 just whooshes the slug down range. No telling how much is flying out of the barrel unburned even with the mag primer.

Boolit Master

With that type cartridge, try Trail Boss with standard primer- close to BP, gives good velocities, and fills case. I like it in my 45-70 loads- it's accurate.
    Per Hodgdon recommendations, measure case capacity to bottom of bullet using TB, and then back off 30%- that is Max and Start load limits. Work up from there until you are satisfied with accuracy and performance. In a Ruger #3 or a Marlin lever gun, I don't think you would have to back off that much to start. In fact, in my experience with TB, you can compress loads a little in those guns.
    USMC 1980-1985

Banned

Wildcats- the funny cars of the reloading industry. Very interesting subject.

.30 x 357 Maximum

Hello: This is my cast bullet wildcat, simply put just a .357 Max. case run into a shortened .303 Savage die to achieve a longer neck. It is in a thick walled small martini, with a 28" tapered octagon bbl. Here is one of the better groups I achieved a few years ago. Come to think of it, I have not used it in about 9 or 10 years, (shame on me). Scoped with a Lyman jr. targetspot 15x. Shooting done at 100 m, and the load was 9gr. of AA #9, or 11gr. of Unique, bullet the old standby Lyman 311291..
    A little too big to be a rook rifle, so i think next is a .38 special necked to .30 with a case length of 1" and half of the case length is neck. sort of like a 297-230 morris??

Sincerely Stan N...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails group.jpg   .30x.357 Maximum.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by camotes2 View Post
    A little too big to be a rook rifle, so i think next is a .38 special necked to .30 with a case length of 1" and half of the case length is neck. sort of like a 297-230 morris??

Sincerely Stan N...
    Ya mean like the one in pictures 1 and 3 in post #3 of this thread?

I'm thinking this would be a neat little rook rifle cartridge. I'm envisioning a "cheap" cartridge to make and reload with plentiful brass and if the throat is correct it should be fairly versatile too. It seems a couple three cohorts are of the same thinking too.

To me the wildcat world goes two directions and since I started using primarily cast boolits it has shot off into a third direction for me.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

Talking 3rd direction?

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    To me the wildcat world goes two directions and since I started using primarily cast boolits it has shot off into a third direction for me.

Edd
    3rd direction? I think they call them fliers!
    USMC 1980-1985

Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    Some neat looking cartridges here: http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

Good Cheer, that looks like a neat round for a lever gun. Why give up meplat area though? Desire for greater sectional density at a given boolit weight?
    Dannix, I've been threatening for years to get a Marlin '95 and try it out.
    As to the boolit design, I had the 375296, tried it out and it worked, a slam dunk on deer. It's big enough and fast enough so just never got anything else...until now. NEI had a 320 grain round nose years ago and I got one. And it got stuck in storage. Not long ago it got HP'd by Erik. I don't know yet how fast it can be accurate.
    On a side note, the round was designed with 200 yard deer hunting as part of the acceptance criteria. The 283 grains of ww alloy in the 375296 fills the bill. The scope is zeroed for 200 yards and there's no trajectory to memorize. The heavier slug is going to have a lot more rainbow. But, deer are seldom shot passed 100 yards any way, right?

Boolit Master
    I am starting to work on a rimless 375 JDJ...sort of a wild cat on a wild cat......

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    I am starting to work on a rimless 375 JDJ...sort of a wild cat on a wild cat......
    Wouldn't that end up being a .375 Whelen, or the functional equivelant?

Robert

Boolit Master
    Sorta. Guess you could call it a 9.5x57 improved since the case is about the same length as a 8x57 case. But I already have the JDJ dies and this would have a better shoulder for head spacing.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast