PBcastcoLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your wildcats!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thehouseproduct View Post
    the 338 Spectre is actually a 10mm Magnum necked down.
    http://www.teppojutsu.com/338.htm
    The 223 blown out is called a 338-223 Straight.
    http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w338223s.html

BWE is also making one:
    http://www.bwefirearms.com/338.html
    I stand corrected!

Boolit Master

"6mm Longneck" sounds like a VERY TINY beer!
    USMC 1980-1985

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

http://
    Not sure how wild the cat is but the dog is a player.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned

LOL.

For my first wildcat rifle build, I want the most cast boolit friendly large boolit for a .223 case.

Starmetal Joe was talking about the 7.62x40 before he got bumped:

StarMetal
    Banned
    7.62x40mm

Pat,

Go to the website listed here and read about the 7.62x40 and pictures. I think this is much better then the Whisper.

Joe

http://www.ar15.com/forums//topic.ht...=382761&page=1

Boolit Master

Couple of wild cat die sets in Moly's for sale thread in Swap & Sell right now- I got the 6mm/30-30 Improved. That might be interesting to try someday.
    There 6mm-06 and 6.5mm-06 there, as well as a few other Improved and lesser "wildcats".
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Starmetal Joe was talking about the 7.62x40 before he got bumped:
    Bummer that he's no longer with us, or rather that he behaved in a manner that got himself kicked.

The 7.62x40mm with a bit more neck looks like a winner. I may play with the length a bit too. I need to look into how large a metplat I can get without having feeding issues in the AR.

From the AR.com link (300-221, 7.62x39mmRussian, 7.62x40mm, and 5.56x45mm):
    Last edited by Dannix; 01-15-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Banned

Yaw- I miss the BOB too.

Boolit Master

I always like the 7.62x39mm, but the best you could do was 150 gr. 30-30 performance. Which, I guess, ain't all that bad. Minimal for deer hunting, I think. But now you're getting somewhere with that 40mm case. How does case capacity compare to the Russian? Looks about the same to me.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sometimes View Post
    I always like the 7.62x39mm, but the best you could do was 150 gr. 30-30 performance. Which, I guess, ain't all that bad. Minimal for deer hunting, I think. But now you're getting somewhere with that 40mm case. How does case capacity compare to the Russian? Looks about the same to me.
    Look closely at the bases. The 7.62x40 is based on the .223 case, so no reduced magazine capacity that the 7.62x39, .30 HRT, et al. would entail.

A .30 in a .223 is nothing new. If I got this right, Wes Ugalde came up with one first, called the .30 Apache. Apparently he's the guy behind the TCU line, so I'm assuming .30 Apache is what is also referred to as the .30 TCU, or at least an evolutionary step for Wes. (The .30 TCU is apparently very obscure as 7mm TCU got the limelight for whatever reason).The 7.62x40 developer initially used 7.62x39USA as his designation I believe.

7.62x40 http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1827
    The first is built from DPMS components, 20" Noveske 1:12 twist rifle length gas system chambered in 7.62x39mmUSA, JP adjustable gas block, Leupold M3....25.3 grains of A1680 under a 110 V-Max = 2675fps...25.3 grains of A1680 under a 125 TNT = 2530fps....as far as accuracy I didn't bring any targets with me to the range....centered up on the 200 yard gong 20 rounds made a nice brite spot about the size of a quarter...

Banned

Uh oh- my Mini-14 would love this.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    How do you like your 35/30-30? Seems like the 35/30-30 in an 1894 would epitomize an ideal brush gun.
    I love my conversion which is in a Marlin 336 and I have to agree it is a great light rifle woods gun. Honestly I would have to believe the 35 Remmy in a lever is a equal if a person wanted a factory cartridge. IMHO the neck length of the Remmy is its one shortcoming when using cast boolits...BUT that is only my opinion.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

Exclamation CASE capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    Look closely at the bases. The 7.62x40 is based on the .223 case, so no reduced magazine capacity that the 7.62x39, .30 HRT, et al. would entail. ......................The 7.62x40 developer initially used 7.62x39USA as his designation I believe.
    I said CASE capacity for POWDER. Not magazine capacity for cartridges. Do you know volume in grains of water for the 7.62x40 case?

They still need longer necks for cast boolits!
    Last edited by Charlie Sometimes; 01-17-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Grand Master
    Not really a wildcat, but I met a young man in Australia that cut split necked .222 Remington cases off at the shoulder to use in a .30 Carbine. He said it worked well.

Robert

Talking

I used to shoot indoor .22 matches with a Winchester 52 Target Rifle. Decent ammunition is getting hard to come by and for the guys that shoot Anchutz with 30 Power scopes a dumped shot prone or anyother position is a ruined season for them.
    I used to weigh every bullet out of a box of 100 and always found light ones and heavy ones which were put together in the same lot by weight.

I have often wondered why there isn't a center fire round, wildcat like the 25auto/22 that target shooter could load using 40 gr. round nose lyman bullets. I bet they would be more accurate than Ely if done properly. What do you all think? Be Safe

Boolit Master
    Thanks badgeredd.

Charlie, my mistake. I don't have any case volume data. I'm thinking about picking out a boolit for it, and then choosing a case and neck length based on the boolit. We'll see what happens. It's been moved towards the back burner for now, though I'll still be scouting out a boolit for it.

has anyone ever opened up a 357mag chamber in a lever/pump gun for a bottle necked 357? kinda like a 357sig or 35/44?

I'm thinking of a simple way to boost my IMI Timberwolf. I drew plans where I could ream the chamber with a 35rem, so the base would be .440.

using 7.62/39 brass, size it, fireform it, trim it and you'd end up with IIRC about 25% more case capacity. the only issue I had was the "short neck" syndrome.

by my braindead calculations I was thinking I could approach 357MAX velocities. or exceed them slightly. all the while staying at the Mag Pressures.

somewhere I still have all my drawings.

it would only be appropriate in a short action lever or pump. as there would be better options in a longer action. Perhaps the short action could be made to handle a slightly longer cartridge. I"m not sure on that. but I think reworking the ejector, and the "Stop Shoulder" in the action of my TW would allow a slightly longer round, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sometimes View Post
    last year, a friend of mine shot a spike bull moose with an SKS loaded with 125gr softpoints.

80 yds.
    hit him behind the RF leg, penetrated through a rib, took off the top half of the heart, took out more rib and breastbone on the way out. complete exit.

I always likened the little 7.62 to an underpowered 30-30, but after hereing his story, I have to wonder.

Must have been a fairly stout j-word.

Boolit Buddy
    Always wanted a lever gun in 357/44 Bain and Davis. Also wish Marlin would chamber their 444 in the 375jdj.

Boolit Master

Proper shot placement is critical no matter what it is you are packing. They've killed Polar Bears with 22 LR but I wouldn't bet my life on that happening every shot. Use "Rare" sense and match your caliber and firearm to your target. If it was "Common" sense everyone would have it. Not that they would be obligated to use it.................

I've had two SKS rifles, and you could not the the broad side of a barn with them, even if you were standing inside! I guess he must have had an exceptional rifle or lucky streak.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderEd View Post
    I used to shoot indoor .22 matches with a Winchester 52 Target Rifle. Decent ammunition is getting hard to come by and for the guys that shoot Anchutz with 30 Power scopes a dumped shot prone or anyother position is a ruined season for them.
    I used to weigh every bullet out of a box of 100 and always found light ones and heavy ones which were put together in the same lot by weight.

I have often wondered why there isn't a center fire round, wildcat like the 25auto/22 that target shooter could load using 40 gr. round nose lyman bullets. I bet they would be more accurate than Ely if done properly. What do you all think? Be Safe
    Look up the .221 Askins. Charles Askins did a wildcat centerfire on a Colt Woodsman for the National Match centerfire stage, this is why the rules now state .32 cal or larger.

I think it was a trimmed Velo Dog case with rimfire bullets.

No reason it couldn't work in a rifle, if the rules would allow it.

Robert

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast