Titan ReloadingPBcastcoLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your wildcats!

I'm Jealous. There are some fine wildcats there, must get to work and make one. The only wildcat I got was this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010_0622trapcat0001.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I think that this one qualifies. .270 Max - a .357 Maximun necked down to .270. A factory RPM XL single shot pistol chambered for this cartridge. No one that I have found shows any data for it. I have loaded it with powders 2400 to H335. Averages about an inch and a quarter off the bench at 50 yards. Recoil similar to a 357 Mag.
    Last edited by .30/30 Guy; 08-18-2012 at 11:47 AM.

I only have a 300/221 Fireball - a takeoff on the 300 whisper. I have had several orphans (no or tough to get factory ammo) like the 41 Colt - but If I was to make a wildcat now it would problably be taking something like the 458 socom or 50 hushpuppy on. I think that my tastes have changed to something that I can shoot quietly and preferable with cast bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    I made a 30-357max long neck. Has a 30-30 length neck on it. Have a MOA pistol chambered for it that I used to shoot in IHMSA.
    Also made an xp-100 chambered in a 44-284win that I shot a few times in IHMSA. Lots of complaints of the noise (65gr h-335 IIRC w/240 IMI bullet). Chambered a rifle in it too. Took an Elk with it. 265gr Hornady @2550fps.
    Think I might have a reamer made for a 44-350Rem mag. Or maybe a 375/350 or 411/350. Haven't decided yet.

Will get pics of the two if I can find what I did with the ammo I still have loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    Marty at Teppo Jitsu Has done alot of work with the .338 Specter, whcih was a .223 cut off and stuffed with a .338 bullet. I have heard of guys using cast in it. At what depth do you have to load to get it to work in GI mags, or would you use Pmags, or some such polymer mags, with the ribs filed out? Pretty cool looking round.
    the 338 Spectre is actually a 10mm Magnum necked down.
    http://www.teppojutsu.com/338.htm
    The 223 blown out is called a 338-223 Straight.
    http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w338223s.html

BWE is also making one:
    http://www.bwefirearms.com/338.html

Boolit Master

Here's what I was talking about in modifying the 223 Rem. to have a longer 222 Rem. neck to support the 6mm boolit (245498).
    I ran a 223 case into a 222 Rem. trim die to form it, then up sized the neck in a 6mm Rem (244 Rem) sizer, then seated the boolit with the 6mm seater die. Of course, proper dies would have to be made if I get serious about the wildcat.
    This is just preliminary review, to see how it looks, etc. The gas check on the boolit is seated to right where the neck ends, and shoulder begins.

Left to right- 5.7mm Johnson (22 in a 30 Carbine case), 221 Fireball empty, 222 Rem empty, 223 modified/6mm wildcat, 223 empty. Might call mine the 6mm Longneck.

Last edited by Charlie Sometimes; 01-11-2011 at 04:17 PM.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

That looks like a good one to me Charlie Sometimes, thats the biggest problem with a lot of these cartridges neck to dang short for boolits. Gotta love them long necks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead Foot View Post
    I'm Jealous. There are some fine wildcats there, must get to work and make one. The only wildcat I got was this one.
    A number 3 jump for that little puddy-tat?

Boolit Master
    Charlie that looks great. I know the 6x45 is real popular in South Africa, and I guess you *could* call what you've got the 6x45 long-neck. But only if you wanted to...
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Banned

They are all awesome. I gotta journey into he wildcat world someday.

Boolit Master

MAYBE even the 6x45 CB (6x45 Cast Boolit)!
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sometimes View Post
    MAYBE even the 6x45 CB (6x45 Cast Boolit)!
    EXCELLENT idea there Charlie. I have a 6mm TCU rifle and the only complaint is the short neck for cast. I may even follow through with you idea when I get some other idea guns finished. Thanks for the thought food.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Banned

What signifies the "45" in 6x45?

Boolit Master

Case length in millimeters is 45 on a 5.56 x 45mm NATO (223 Rem).
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

Talking When you do.........

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    EXCELLENT idea there Charlie. I have a 6mm TCU rifle and the only complaint is the short neck for cast. I may even follow through with you idea when I get some other idea guns finished. Thanks for the thought food.

Edd
    When, or if, you do, I'd be interested in a set of dies, etc.
    You might get to it before I do, though- my project list is long, and the money is currently being spread thin to cover a lot of more pressing things right now.
    USMC 1980-1985

Banned

Case length in millimeters is 45 on a 5.56 x 45mm NATO (223 Rem).
    Ah... I see. I was hoping to see someone squeez a .452 boolit in the case ....

Boolit Master

Wink Ouch.

That was done earlier in the thread.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master
    A while back I bought a 22-30-30 reamer from a member here.. Last week I started making a new monobloc for my TCR-87 and will need to aquire a 22 cal barrel to chamber this cartridge. Dies for it are available from RCBS but are expensive at $140.00 or there abouts. No pictures yet as I don't have those dies.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    35/30-30 next to 30-30, 35x60 next to 30-06 parent case,

Edd
    How do you like your 35/30-30? Seems like the 35/30-30 in an 1894 would epitomize an ideal brush gun.

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post

4. 270-223. My Grandson decided he needed the above 270-221 a few years ago when he was around 9 or 10 years old. Last summer he decided he wanted more power so we rechambered to the 221s big brother. Gained about 400 fps and didn't lose a bit of accuracy. VERY mild recoil even with the 130gr. bullet. As you can see, the throats are very long so the bullets , in both cases, can be seated out to maximize the powder capacity. Since the XP is a single shot the seating depth is of little consequence except to be enough to hold the bullet during chambering.
    Any cases issues? I'm very tempted to pursue a .30x.223 build (I believe it was first called .30 Apache), but I heard neck splitting when using .223 brass in the 7mm TCU was a serious issue. Any issues for you at 6.8mm?

Quote Originally Posted by tommygirlMT View Post
    Here is one Ive been working on off and on over the last couple years --- I call it the 8mm carbine --- will actually do everything for real that the 30-carbine was suppost to do and they lied to the men they sent into battle saying it would do --- combat range nock things over in a small physical size cartridge so you can carry plenty of rounds in your pack --- also to be a very cast boolit friendly round

Parent cartridge is the 223 Remington and the brass is made from the same --- I ultimatly plan on building a AR-15/M-16 carbine to use it in but so far just have a test gun built from an old mauser --- reason I chose 8mm is because that is the largest caliber that you can neck the 223 up to keeping the original case taper profile and still have enough shoulder to head space on --- basically just cut the original 223 brass off at the base of the shoulder and form the new neck and trim

That's one very interesting cartridge, particularly for boolits. What bullet weight are you using and what fps are you getting?

Seems we have the same goal, though I'd like something quicker. Concerning the .30 Carbine, the Remington .30Carbine JSP apparently yields very nice terminal damage at 2k fps (source link -- good read in general by th way). I personally don't put a lot of stock in yaw/fragmentation. The JSP in a .223 case is quicker by several hundred fps, in fact almost approaching .30-30 performance.

There was a project recently called the 7.62x40. The developer has not responded to a PM I sent him. Looking over his AR15.com thread, I think he just got too beat up and fed up with the SPC/Grendel fanboys and just doesn't want to talk about the cartridge now. The trade off with the .30 Apache/.30 TCU/.30x.223/7.62x39USA/7.62x40 is that there's not a lot of room to play with for bigger boolits. The .30 Whisper fixes this issue, but to the detriment of case capacity. I'd like to get .30-30 performance from the .223 case, which is just about doable with only the lighter .30 boolits/j-words.

I'd love to start with the .30 Apache idea, and trade just a little case capacity for a bit longer neck to accommodate a bit longer/heavier boolits. I'm going to have to crunch some numbers, but a case dimension starting with .223 dimensions but modified with a neck to accommodate up to a 135gr (.30) boolit sounds ideal.

Here's what I was talking about in modifying the 223 Rem. to have a longer 222 Rem. neck to support the 6mm boolit (245498).
    I ran a 223 case into a 222 Rem. trim die to form it, then up sized the neck in a 6mm Rem (244 Rem) sizer, then seated the boolit with the 6mm seater die. Of course, proper dies would have to be made if I get serious about the wildcat.
    This is just preliminary review, to see how it looks, etc. The gas check on the boolit is seated to right where the neck ends, and shoulder begins.

Left to right- 5.7mm Johnson (22 in a 30 Carbine case), 221 Fireball empty, 222 Rem empty, 223 modified/6mm wildcat, 223 empty. Might call mine the 6mm Longneck.

That 6mm longneck is precisely the sort of animal I'm interested in, albeit at .30cal. Thanks for the inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    Marty at Teppo Jitsu Has done alot of work with the .338 Specter
    Yeah, it's 10mm based. A while back I had the privilege to chat with Marty a bit via email concerning the .338 Spectre and the .458 Socom. I posted the correspondence somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I think it's on AR15.com somewhere, hidden from search engines. I'll try to remember my rarely ever used login there and post the correspondence here.
    Last edited by Dannix; 01-14-2011 at 05:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001980.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	28536 Sorry this one is mine.... Iowan hairless attack wildcat....very sneaky and mean.......sorry for the hi jack

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast