WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Show us your wildcats!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Bump, looking for an update on the 8mm Carbine.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I have a 30-40 Krag that is necked down to 7mm. The shoulder is moved forward and it is fireformed to have almost straight sides. It is chambered in a Ruger No. 3 that started out in 30-40 Krag. The internal volume is almost exactly the same as a .280 Remington Ackley Improved.

I also have a couple of cartridges that are not exactly wildcats, but they are (or were) almost impossible to get brass for, so I formed my own. The first one is the 41 Long Colt. I made cases out of .38 Special brass until Starline started making them. The other is the 9.5x57 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. I could use just about any 8mm Mauser or 30-06 parent case, but I have settled on .35 Whelen cases for several reasons.

Boolit Buddy
    So NoZombies, whatever ended up happening with your 22/32 project?

Boolit Man
    I'll have to post a pic of mine when I get home. One is the "429 Ultra Express" made from a shortened .308, and the other is a 9mm long rifle, made from a cut down and necked up 223. Pics soon
    "I will ask permission of no man, for that which has been granted to me by God and the Constitution."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    So NoZombies, whatever ended up happening with your 22/32 project?
    Not as much as I would like. I ended up with a lot less 'spare' time on my hands, and as a result, many projects have been postponed!
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	82172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	82173
    Neither are official or have guns but the first one is a 400 SOCOM/400 Miles/400 M&M. I haven't decided on the name yet. The second one is a 9mm-458 SOCOM. Both are necked down 458 SOCOMs. My play cartridge for the 400 had a 300ish grain bullet in it if I remember correctly. I made it with BTsniper's swaging die and a 38 special brass. The 9mm won't be a cast cartridge but all I had were cast 9s.
    (Sorry for the sideways pictures)
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Boolit Master
    Well ,if I can figure out the picture thing I will post my 30 Special.. Yeah another 38 special necked to 30 ,I wanted a 300 Sherwood equilivent . Put it on a TCR 83. Any more updates on the other versions of this thought ?

Boolit Buddy

GP series of wildcats.

My GP series of cartridges all based on the 8x57 case. L to R are 6mmGP, 250GP, 6.5mmGP, 270GP, 7mmGP, 300GP, 8mmGP, 330GP, 350GP and 375GP. Anyone interested in an Excel spreadsheet of chrono date please PM me. Just now working up loads for the .350GP and cast...which is why the cast boolits are shown in front of the .350GP. To date, I have built several rifles in all but the 270, 7mm and 300cals. I am having a ball with the .350GP and cast!

Boolit Master

dumb question. for new cartridges and wildcatting, why ARE necks getting shorter? is there a distinct disadvantage to a long neck?

All I can figure is jacketed bullets don't need it and it eats into usable case capacity. Yes? Is there any other reason?

For example, if I am mulling over a wildcat, and I find I don't need lots of case capacity, length is covered, do I have any disadvantage to designing in a ridiculously long neck?
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 10-22-2013 at 02:28 PM.

I'll gather up some examples for some pictures but here's my current list:

.14 Eichelberger Flea - 32 ACP necked to .14 caliber. I can form .17 and .22 versions of this as well.
    22 Cheetah Mark 1 - 308 BR case necked to .22 with little taper and a 40 degree shoulder
    6mm Page Souper Pooper
    6.5 U.F.O. - A 6.5 based on a .243 lapua case by Wes Ugalde. As far as I know I own the only set of dies ever made.
    270 REN - 22 Hornet straight walled to .277
    7x30 JDJ - Jones's take on the 7-30 waters improved
    30 Merrill
    338-08 AI 40
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

35.303 I gave up on the 225 gr Sierra Projectiles, very accurate but too expensive. The Cast Bullet is a Cast Bullet Engineering 358250. Cast from straight wheel weights, air cooled, Lubed with White Label 2700+, Gator Checks comes in at 260 grains, sized to .359, 38 grains of ADI 2206 for 1885 fps. Plenty of scope for more velocity but it shoots so well and hits so hard I see no point Shot in a customised No1 M3 Lithgow. If I do my part this Rifle and Cartridge is a genuine 5 shot MOA outfit

I am thinking very seriously of having a Baikal IZH18 7.62X39 rechambered to 310PPC. Why ? Cause I can and one Wildcat is never enough

regards Jacko
    "To my deep mortification my father once said to me,'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."'

- Charles Darwin

I'd like to see a .25 auto necked to .22. Why? Cause it's neat. And I'd love to make it behave like a .22lr for an improvised 50 ft .22 indoor gallery match... Screw the unavailability and cost of .22 lr.

Boolit Master

7mm whiterabbit

A guy can dream, for now. A guy can dream.

Slug Master in Remembrance
    585 HE (Hubel Express) After a while it may not be a wildcat.

Name:	585delivery.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	87213

A long straight belted 585 case- rim .654"- belt .654- base .634"--

mouth .607"-- case 3.26" long--rim can be rebated if wanted.Ed

Boolit Master
    I figured I would add mine to this list. A different .30-40 Improved than Ackley's. Holds a grain more water than my PPU 7.62x54r cases with Winchester brass. It still fireformed well Ackley style with a loaded round. I am also messing around with something like the .22 TCM in .25 caliber to feed through the magazine of a rebarreled Destroyer carbine.

Name:	30 40 vs 30 40 ai.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	87217

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    dumb question. for new cartridges and wildcatting, why ARE necks getting shorter? is there a distinct disadvantage to a long neck?

All I can figure is jacketed bullets don't need it and it eats into usable case capacity. Yes? Is there any other reason?

For example, if I am mulling over a wildcat, and I find I don't need lots of case capacity, length is covered, do I have any disadvantage to designing in a ridiculously long neck?
    The necks are shorter in an effort to squeak out every last bit of powder capacity possible. There is a theory based in the intersection point of the case shoulder falling within the neck, leading to increased throat life due to the brass taking most of the beating from powder gases. Longer necks are beneficial to us because they allow more bullet seated into the case without dropping the gas check below the neck. A longer neck also helps maintain bullet alignment, if you seat the damn thing straight to begin with.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

well, glad I added a longer neck in my design then. I linked a pic above. I will try making it whenever a 7TCU die set falls into my lap I can cut down.

Boolit Master

got a chance to play. My 7mm wildcat, next to the 223 parent.
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 12-08-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Boolit Master

OK, did some measuring and tweaking, the necks were WAY too long. This is the read deal, all trimmed up and pretty-like:

Show us your wildcats!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    OK, did some measuring and tweaking, the necks were WAY too long. This is the read deal, all trimmed up and pretty-like:

Is this something akin to a 7mm TCU that would fit in AR mags?
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast