RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Show us your wildcats!

Boolit Buddy
    These targets were shot in March of this year - at 600 yds....

No, this rifle is not meant to be carried through the woods but, if you can drive to a field or open country land where you can see out to 1,000+ yds., a rifle like this will serve you well....

ASSASSIN

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Now THAT is just awesome !!!!! With something like that around here , there wouldn't be a cut hayfield a woodchuck could hide in .

Jack

Boolit Master

That is some good shooting on your part as well!!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Grand Master

.358 Malcolm. Based on the 303 british cartridge, it provides a middle of the road, rimmed cartridge between the 30-30 and the 45-70 with a highly improved profile. It beats the .358 winchester by a small margin.

50 yard group with 200gr RCBS GC flat point.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 06-29-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Is that boolit PP goodsteel? Thats mighty fine shooting as well!!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Buddy
    Jack and Chris - Thank You...

A couple of things that I have learned over the years is to do all your load development at 200 yds. instead of 100 yds. and to set up the size die, full length or neck, to "float" in the press. This helps to keep the case in a more perfect alignment as it enters and exits the die. All of this may not make much difference if your shooting range will not exceed 300 yds. but, when you shoot out to 1,000+ yds.. it DOES make a lot of difference....

ASSASSIN

Boolit Master

I'm thinking the one on the right will make a good boolit cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master

Well heck yeah! That dog will hunt. Is that a 47/70? At any rate if you cut the neck off to about 3/8-1/2 inch, boy you talk about super-short-magnum! How did you do that anyway?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I'd lean towards the upper end of that cut off spectrum (1/2") for sure maybe even a smidgen more. Also I would prefer to do it on that fairly standard non-rimmed case head size that is used on the 308, 30-06, 270, 8x57, 7x57, 45-ACP, etc., etc., etc. rather then some less popular case head size especially a rimmed case head size (a rimmed or belted case head is a good design for revolvers but not much else in my opinion). Then you could make brass out of a whole range of different cartridges and bolt actions to accept the cartridge. Could be a nice little cast boolit cartridge.

Speaking of rimmed cartridges in revolvers. What about a low pressure revolver cartridge based off of the 7.62x54R as the parent cartridge blow out straight and cut down to 45-Colt case length only using a 0.458” boolit diameter. The idea being to have a second cylinder made to use such a cartridge in my BFR 45/70 revolver and just load them with 45-Colt load data using the slightly bigger boolit diameter to match up with the barrel that is dimensioned for 45/70 size boolits and make the cases from all my used up 7.62x54R brass that I have reloaded and annealed and reloaded and annealed until finally the necks have split despite my best attempts to prevent their ultimate demise. Loaded with collar button boolits and other lighter weight 45/70 type boolits I think it would be really sweat for plinking with that gun and use up a lot less powder and lead in the process compared to even bottom end 45-70 loads.

Boolit Grand Master

Turbo, rimmed cartridges shine in single shot rifles. Agreed, though them and lever actions are the right places for rimmed cartridges.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo1889 View Post
    I'd lean towards the upper end of that cut off spectrum (1/2") for sure maybe even a smidgen more. Also I would prefer to do it on that fairly standard non-rimmed case head size that is used on the 308, 30-06, 270, 8x57, 7x57, 45-ACP, etc., etc., etc. rather then some less popular case head size especially a rimmed case head size (a rimmed or belted case head is a good design for revolvers but not much else in my opinion). Then you could make brass out of a whole range of different cartridges and bolt actions to accept the cartridge. Could be a nice little cast boolit cartridge.

Speaking of rimmed cartridges in revolvers. What about a low pressure revolver cartridge based off of the 7.62x54R as the parent cartridge blow out straight and cut down to 45-Colt case length only using a 0.458” boolit diameter. The idea being to have a second cylinder made to use such a cartridge in my BFR 45/70 revolver and just load them with 45-Colt load data using the slightly bigger boolit diameter to match up with the barrel that is dimensioned for 45/70 size boolits and make the cases from all my used up 7.62x54R brass that I have reloaded and annealed and reloaded and annealed until finally the necks have split despite my best attempts to prevent their ultimate demise. Loaded with collar button boolits and other lighter weight 45/70 type boolits I think it would be really sweat for plinking with that gun and use up a lot less powder and lead in the process compared to even bottom end 45-70 loads.
    Necking down that much introduces lots of neck thickness variation when you try to use different brass. Better to pick one and stick to it. The case pictured is a 375 Win, but I have dies for 30-06 casehead. I'd be happy to make up sample case for you.

Also, .458 bullets can be loaded standard .45 Colt cases and will often chamber in factory guns. Depending on how much clearence all you may need to do is have the throats opened up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    My 243 WHITE EXPRESS -

This cartridge is based on the full length 444 Marlin case, necked down to 6mm, with minimum body taper and a 40 degree shoulder angle...

The gun shown weighs 29 lbs. and has a 30" barrel, 1.450" in diameter. The stock was factory weighted to ten pounds...

Accuracy wise, this gun will shoot 1/2" groups at 300 yds. and 1 1/2" or less at 600 yds...

Many deer and coyote have been "taken-out" with this gun....

ASSASSIN
    What powder charge and velocity are you running with those 85gr Sierra's?

Curious as to how the action/barrel are bedded. That's a hell of a lot of weight hanging off the action. How much of the barrel is bedded?

Boolit Master

535gr 45 acp

Here's mine

Takes a special deeeeeeeep throated barrel for this one!!!!!

Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

I'm surprised that don't blow up a gun, Jake...
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Turbo.... your 357 LNAM in post #147... I am contemplating a build Very similar if not identical to this, only I am chambering it in an ar 15. I may end up giving up some of the neck though in search of case capacity as I am intending it to be a .358 version of the spectre..... it will be easier to short chamber so that the should is at standard SIG dimensions and then if testing indicates I need more room.. reaming it a little more at a time.

if you are interested i will post some more details as I create them

Ahh correction, I wont be going that short, i will be starting with 10mm Magnum cases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    Ahh correction, I wont be going that short, i will be starting with 10mm Magnum cases.
    That makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    if you are interested i will post some more details as I create them
    Please do post details. I know I would be interested.

The Special Projects subforum is the place to start a thread for your build.

I didn't read this whole thread but has anyone necked up a 458 Win Mag to 475? It looks like there is enough taper to do it.

Maybe it could shoot pistol boolits and on up to 600 grains or so?

Boolit Master
    that would be a .470 capstick-short, of sorts.
    Some where between here and there.....

Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    that would be a .470 capstick-short, of sorts.
    Thanks for the info, I Wikied the Capstick and see it uses a full length H&H case.

I can't figure out why I'm interested in this - maybe if I wait long enough the urge will go away. LOL I even stopped to see if there were any beat up looking Winchester Mags at my gun shop but no luck.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast